Safety tips for runners

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I found this interesting as it has tips for defence against dogs, which is not something I've come across before.

https://www.utsa.edu/utsapd/Crime_Prevention/Crime_prevention pdf/Safety Tips for Runners.pdf

[Sarcasm]
Ofcourse, all of it should be totally ignored because it has nothing to do with men getting into bar fights, which according to the people on my ignore list is the only situation in which a person ever needs to defend themselves. Also, none of it is of any use, as it will in no way increase your ability to beat another man in a bar fight, which apparently is the thing anyone ever needs. But still, it's was interesting.
[/sarcasm]

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's my defence for a dog. It comes to attack you then kick it. I love animals but I'm not getting ripped apart by a dog just because I like animals.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's my defence for a dog. It comes to attack you then kick it. I love animals but I'm not getting ripped apart by a dog just because I like animals.
Glad it is so easy to defeat a dog. It is curious however why all those criminals who face a police dog end up bleeding from all over and scream their heads off in terror when all they had to do was kick it.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad it is so easy to defeat a dog. It is curious however why all those criminals who face a police dog end up bleeding from all over and scream their heads off in terror when all they had to do was kick it.
Yeah because lying still on the ground is a much better option

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even better advice...
Buy a treadmill online and have it shipped to your home. Have the delivery guy leave it on your porch, then bring it in as quickly as you can, but obviously waiting for him to get back in his truck and drive away.

Never take a chance.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a dog run down the street straight at me in full attack mode. I just ran straight at it yelling. Once it got about 5 feet in front of me, it turned around and ran the opposite way.

It wasn’t a breed like a pit bull, Rottweiler, Doberman, etc., so it’s not like I ran off a viscous and rabid dog by any means. It was a Labrador-sized mutt.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any advice for defense against crocks? We have a strong Aussie contingent here.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Prey that your running has helped your cardio and sprint like hell lol
I was thinking throw a puppy, infant, etc. one way, and run like hell the other way. Hopefully the croc goes after the easier prey.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah because lying still on the ground is a much better option

When dogs attack
"How to avoid being bitten
If you are confronted by an aggressive dog, the most important thing to remember is this: Stay calm. Don’t give in to fear or anxiety, and don’t start yelling or kicking at the dog. An aggressive dog wants you to be stressed out before it attacks, but if you remain calm and in control, it slows them down and throws them off."

"When the dog senses that you aren’t threatening it — and are not threatened by it — it will probably lose interest and the situation will de-escalate."

How to Handle a Dog Attack

"Do not try to run away. Running away can awaken the dog's prey instinct to chase and catch animals. He may pursue you vigorously "

so the lesson here is that aggressive behavior by you will increase your chances of being bitten. if your already getting bitten then fine try to kick it and follow the advise from the wiki link. but if it was soooo easy to do law enforcement and military though out the ages would not have used dogs.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
similar advice to what was given to my daughter by her cross country coach. Any reason why pepper spray is a bad idea if the dog actually attacks?
i dont see where it says pepper spray is a bad idea. am i missing something? the only reason i would think it is not advised would be due to local laws on the possession of OC spray.
i have read that formulations with CN in it are not useful when used against dogs. CN is more an inhaled irritant than a topical eye irritant. there are pepper sprays specifically made for dogs. i have no data on the difference between people spray and dog spray.

EDIT:
in my opinion i wouldnt use a bear spray either. bear spray acts as a localized fogger that the bear runs through and they have supper sensitive noses.
the average dogs nose is 100 times better than a human while a bear is 2100 times better than a human

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
i dont see where it says pepper spray is a bad idea. am i missing something? the only reason i would think it is not advised would be due to local laws on the possession of OC spray.
i have read that formulations with CN in it are not useful when used against dogs. CN is more an inhaled irritant than a topical eye irritant. there are pepper sprays specifically made for dogs. i have no data on the difference between people spray and dog spray.

EDIT:
in my opinion i wouldnt use a bear spray either. bear spray acts as a localized fogger that the bear runs through and they have supper sensitive noses.
the average dogs nose is 100 times better than a human while a bear is 2100 times better than a human
Article didn’t say anything about pepper spray one way or the other, that I saw. I was asking if there is any reason why it wouldn’t work, because it seems like it would be a pretty simple thing to carry. I was just asking the question.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dogs are weird. I absolutely love 'em, but they can really surprise you.

One night way back when I was in my twenties I jumped a high chain link fence topped with barbed-wire to get into a "junk yard" in a downtown industrial area. It was being rented by a friend of mine and being operated as an art space. I had done this numerous times before, and even knew the best place to get over the fence (at the corner of the gate where you could set your feet on the hinges and get over the barb wire without getting snagged).

So anyway, I hopped the fence, dropped down inside and walked about ten yards, when out of the shadows ahead a big, black, doberman charged me. There was no way to make it back over the fence in time, so I just raised my arms in front of me to guard my throat, and knew I was totally screwed. As anticipated, the doby lunged, slammed into my chest nearly knocking me flat ...and slobbered all over me, all the while ferociously wagging his long, uncut tail.

A few minutes later, my friend emerged from the service shed on the property saying, "Oh I see you've met my new guard dog. His name is Crack."

In the subsequent years, I had a similar experiences with a Rottweiler and also a Pitt Bull. Both scary as hell, and both really friendly ...at least to me. Then the other day I walked over to the corner cafe for my morning coffee and muffin. While crossing the coffee-shop patio with my food, a nondescript little mutt shot out from under a table, pulling it's leash right out of it's inattentive owners hand. In an instant, it savagely attacked my leg, totally shredding a new pair of jeans from the thigh to the ankle. I managed to jerk away and somehow got free without it breaking the skin ...largely through luck since it's initial bite struck the bulge where I had stuck my wallet in the front pocket of my pants.

No issues with a doby, a rott and a pitt bull. Then this little aussy-shepherd mix almost rips me apart. Like I say, dogs are weird. ;)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
When the dog senses that you aren’t threatening it — and are not threatened by it — it will probably lose interest and the situation will de-escalate."

If it has teeth......don't trust it!

When I worked Patrol, I worked a very rural area. One night, I worked a series of crashes over a few miles caused by a drunk driver driving down the shoulder of the road running over mailboxes. After booking the driver in jail for DWI, I went from house to house informing people their mailboxes had been destroyed and providing them with the driver's insurance info.

I pull up to a farm house and saw this docile Australian Shepard laying on the front porch. It laid there, never barking, looking at my car..........until I stepped out of my car.....then it became Cujo 2.0. It jumped off the porch and made a bee line for me barking and growling......I jumped back inside my car as the owner ran out the house yelling "don't get out!"

Once back inside my car....I was reminded by Cujo....that my window was completely down. As I rushed to roll the window up while trying to knock Cujo 2.0 (who was now trying to come through the open window all the while snarling and biting at me) back out the window with my flashlight....the owner gets to the car and gets hold of Cujo 2.0.

After putting Cujo 2.0 up, he comes back and tells me I can get out of the car now......Heck no....through the half rolled down window I handed him the driver's insurance info and took my wounded ego and left.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
CB is right. Years ago I remember trying out my clumsy school-learned Spanish in conversation with a latino co-worker and recited the aphorism, El perro que ladra no muerde (The dog that barks doesn't bite).

I still remember his response: No lo crees. Los perros mienten (Don't believe it. Dogs lie). ;)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I found this interesting as it has tips for defence against dogs, which is not something I've come across before.

https://www.utsa.edu/utsapd/Crime_Prevention/Crime_prevention pdf/Safety Tips for Runners.pdf

[Sarcasm]
Ofcourse, all of it should be totally ignored because it has nothing to do with men getting into bar fights, which according to the people on my ignore list is the only situation in which a person ever needs to defend themselves. Also, none of it is of any use, as it will in no way increase your ability to beat another man in a bar fight, which apparently is the thing anyone ever needs. But still, it's was interesting.
[/sarcasm]
In addition to this rather insightful list, I would like to add;

Drink water when you are thirsty.

If you find a strange lump on your body, seek a physician

Do not stare directly into the sun.

Remember to continue breathing at all times.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

[Sarcasm]
[/sarcasm]

I have worked with attack dogs by the way. This was a conversion that came up a bit just in case they got loose.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Boy, these cute public service announcements are a little different down under! They've got a similar problem with gators in Florida, but I can't imagine the govt. approving a cute cartoon like that that shows a hip, funny alligator biting off little kids and grannys' heads and blood spouting out of their severed necks. More's the pity! :D

Latest Discussions