Safety tips for runners

OP
P

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
similar advice to what was given to my daughter by her cross country coach. Any reason why pepper spray is a bad idea if the dog actually attacks?
I can't remember where, but I do remember there is one country where you can legally carry pepper spray for dog attacks.

OP
P

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad it is so easy to defeat a dog. It is curious however why all those criminals who face a police dog end up bleeding from all over and scream their heads off in terror when all they had to do was kick it.
Maybe they're doing the wrong kick? It has to be an MMA kick, otherwise it doesn't work for SD ;)

On a more serious note, it probably does work, but criminals natural instinct is to run away, especially when you have a police dog coming at you. So it may work in the few cases people have tried it, but in most cases I would imagine they run away and don't think of kicking. I guess the best person to ask is a police dog handler, see if they have experience of it?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe they're doing the wrong kick? It has to be an MMA kick, otherwise it doesn't work for SD ;)

On a more serious note, it probably does work, but criminals natural instinct is to run away, especially when you have a police dog coming at you. So it may work in the few cases people have tried it, but in most cases I would imagine they run away and don't think of kicking. I guess the best person to ask is a police dog handler, see if they have experience of it?
i suspect it would need to a particularly powerful well timed/ aimed kick to prevent 80lbs of bones fur and muscle, flying through the air from bitting you,

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no experience in being cased by police k-9 units but it seems to me that often the handlers send in dogs when the subject is hiding or holed up in a way that it is difficult for the officer to enter safety and only after repeated commands to come out.

We are getting a little bit of thread drift here. The original OP was about runners and everyday dogs who are overly aggressive or territorial.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no experience in being cased by police k-9 units but it seems to me that often the handlers send in dogs when the subject is hiding or holed up in a way that it is difficult for the officer to enter safety and only after repeated commands to come out.

We are getting a little bit of thread drift here. The original OP was about runners and everyday dogs who are overly aggressive or territorial.
every day dogs can be more dangerous than trained ones, of course that partly depends what sort of dog it is and why and how much it is annoyed,

I've never actually had the slightest problem with dogs going for me, running or otherwise, though i suppose its a remote possibility