Safety tips for runners

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by Paul_D, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Master Black Belt

I can't remember where, but I do remember there is one country where you can legally carry pepper spray for dog attacks.

2. Paul_D

Paul_D Master Black Belt

Maybe they're doing the wrong kick? It has to be an MMA kick, otherwise it doesn't work for SD ;)

On a more serious note, it probably does work, but criminals natural instinct is to run away, especially when you have a police dog coming at you. So it may work in the few cases people have tried it, but in most cases I would imagine they run away and don't think of kicking. I guess the best person to ask is a police dog handler, see if they have experience of it?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  3. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

• Like Like x 1
  4. jobo

jobo Senior Master

i suspect it would need to a particularly powerful well timed/ aimed kick to prevent 80lbs of bones fur and muscle, flying through the air from bitting you,

5. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Senior Master

I have no experience in being cased by police k-9 units but it seems to me that often the handlers send in dogs when the subject is hiding or holed up in a way that it is difficult for the officer to enter safety and only after repeated commands to come out.

We are getting a little bit of thread drift here. The original OP was about runners and everyday dogs who are overly aggressive or territorial.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jobo

jobo Senior Master

every day dogs can be more dangerous than trained ones, of course that partly depends what sort of dog it is and why and how much it is annoyed,

I've never actually had the slightest problem with dogs going for me, running or otherwise, though i suppose its a remote possibility