Running

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Is running a self defense strategy or not? There is always someone who says in a post that they would run in a certain situation. But there are a couple of things that give me pause about running. I've lived in some pretty bad places, not proud of it or hardcore or anything, just circumstances, and I've seen street fights, and when I've seen people people run, they invariably get chased. I think it sets loose something in the prehistoric animal part of our minds, some kind of predator/prey link. I think a lot of people would be better served by standing their ground, even vs. weapons. I'd rather get stabbed or shot in the gut than in the back. Both would probably be the end of me anyway. Running against multiple attackers is a really bad idea too, as one can take the angle on you and catch you pretty easily. This may just be me, as I'm not much of a sprinter anyway. So what does everyone think? Is running the best last resort? Should it be the first resort?

You've made some good observations.

Running is a valid tactic. You run either to escape or to upgrade your position. If you're convinced you can't get away, then you get to a place where you might better defend yourself. A narrow hallway, perhaps. Or perhaps you run for a weapon...a board on the ground a half a block away. A trash can lid you spotted near an alley.

Many might find themselve unable to run for a variety of reasons. In that event, one might turn their soul over to their deity and resign themselves to selling their life at a high price. "Forward the Eorlingas" and all that.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions