Royce wants a rematch with Hughes

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MMAWeekly: Do you want a rematch with Matt Hughes?

Royce Gracie: Of course

MMAWeekly: Are you in negotiations with the UFC to make this fight happen?

Royce Gracie: We are talking to them. We shall see.

MMAWeekly: Touching on Hughes, did you learn anything from the fight? Did he surprise you?

Royce Gracie: No, we knew what he was planning to do. We worked out his gameplan before the fight, and he did exactly what we expected. I over-trained for the fight. That was all. I started training too much, too hard, for too long. He did exactly what we expected.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=2473&zoneid=2

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well you got to hand it to Gracie he knew what Matt was going to do but could not stop him and then wants to get back in the ring.
Terry

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:

MMAWeekly: Touching on Hughes, did you learn anything from the fight? Did he surprise you?

Royce Gracie: No, we knew what he was planning to do. We worked out his gameplan before the fight, and he did exactly what we expected. I over-trained for the fight. That was all. I started training too much, too hard, for too long. He did exactly what we expected.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=2473&zoneid=2

He did exactly what we expected. Hughes Won :D ;)

I could not resist.

A rematch would be good, but I would not like to see it go on and on like some others that just will not let it go.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Royce really should retire. I don't see the point of a rematch. The man has made his name already, what is there to prove now? Everybody gets old. I mean, Helio lost to Kimura.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great. $40 for another fight that will prolly be over in less than 5 minutes.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to see a rematch... AFTER Royce has a few other UFC fights and wins. First fight in a Octagon under current rules should not be against the champion....

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
MattJ said:
Royce really should retire. I don't see the point of a rematch. The man has made his name already, what is there to prove now? Everybody gets old. I mean, Helio lost to Kimura.

very true.

besides i dont think matt hughes wants to fight gracie again.

i know i wouldnt want to.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I'd like to see a rematch... AFTER Royce has a few other UFC fights and wins. First fight in a Octagon under current rules should not be against the champion....

I agree! One thing that surprised me though was this:

If he knew what Matt was going to do, I'm surprised he didn't gear his own game plan to defend against that.:idunno:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Great. $40 for another fight that will prolly be over in less than 5 minutes.

I know! Doesn't that get a bit discouraging?? Hopefully the fights prior will make up for it, in the event it is over quick!

Mike

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MJS said:
If he knew what Matt was going to do, I'm surprised he didn't gear his own game plan to defend against that.:idunno:

I think that Royce knows exactly when he made the critical mistake that cost him the fight. When he went over to his stomach and started swimming, it was all over...

This is one of those situations where the competitive fighter is beating themselves up with the "Man, why the hell did I do that?"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I think that Royce knows exactly when he made the critical mistake that cost him the fight. When he went over to his stomach and started swimming, it was all over...

This is one of those situations where the competitive fighter is beating themselves up with the "Man, why the hell did I do that?"

Thats most likely the case here. I think he under estimated Matt. I really don't think that he has fought that many people on Matts level recently. I'd like to see a rematch though. The thing is, this sport continues to evolve, with the fighters getting better and better all the time. IMO, Royce has alot of catching up to do.

Mike

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Typical Gracie excuses, everytime they lose a fight it is for some other reason than the guy was just better. He got owned and looked like he was a newbie against Hughes. There wasn't a single part in that whole fight that Gracie had some semblance of dictating the outcome.

Then stating that they knew exactly what Hughes was gonna do and there were no surprises. Ok, I'll buy that Hughes beat him down like he does most fights. Take them down, gain positional control and pound away. Gracie did NOTHING with that knowledge to try and implement his own gameplan.

I respect the Gracies for the accomplishments that they have made, but I really do lose respect when I hear all the excuses everytime they do lose now. The Gracies need to realize that the MMA game has moved on and they were left behind since they will not crosstrain. The only way I want to see a rematch is if Royce drops weight to 170 (Hughes) or 185 (Rich Franklin) and competes in that division and earns himself a title shot like everyone else. At this point Hughes has nothing to gain by the rematch but alot to lose.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
punisher73 said:
Typical Gracie excuses, everytime they lose a fight it is for some other reason than the guy was just better.
I read the article. Pretty much, he answered the questions that he was asked and didn't rant about anything. He stated that he and they knew how and what to expect from Hughes and that he overrained and that was what he did wrong. That is totally understandble.

Have you ever been fatiqued enough that you had to take time off from training? It happens. I'm not saying that is what I saw but you led off with "Typical Gracie excuses" and his family deserves more respect than that.

It reminds me how everyone states "now" that grappling was in their systems all along.

Elayna

Green Belt
Reaction score
This may be really off topic...

But I saw Matt's XMA documentary by discovery channel I think it was....
Well not only did I think the techniques were awesome..
But...OMG hes cute.
LOL LOL LOL

Anyways.....:) :) :)

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Elayna said:
This may be really off topic...

But I saw Matt's XMA documentary by discovery channel I think it was....
Well not only did I think the techniques were awesome..
But...OMG hes cute.
LOL LOL LOL

Anyways.....:) :) :)

I think you mean Matt Mullins, not Hughes.
As far as cuteness, you'd have to ask my fiancee, she'd know.

J-Man

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:

LOL...:lol:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
his family deserves more respect than that.

They deserve respect for their contribution to MMA. That still doesn't change anything that they have some excuse everytime they lose. I'll try to find it, but in an interview with Royce they asked him about Sakuraba (who beat Royce when the corner threw in the towel after Royces' special rules of no time limits and he got exhausted) being nicknamed the "gracie-killer" and he said that Sakuraba just picked a better strategy that night, it didn't mean he was necessarily the better fighter.

After his loss to Hughes the family said Hughes had good GJJ, yet in prior interviews it was always talked about Hughes being just a wrestler. In fact prior to the fight Royce said "I'm going to apply a submission hold, choke him out, help him up, send him home." and "This is the house I built". Again, in prior interviews he talked about how great his training was and how Royce and his group take two days off before any fight to relax and just hang out. Just admit that Hughes was the better fighter and that you'd like another shot, or that the fight didn't go as planned and you want another shot. That's all I'm saying, don't belittle your opponent to justify your loss.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:

Agreed. I think he should need to work his way up the ladder like everyone else. I also would rather see Hughes fight people that really deserve to fight him, not someone that deserved it a decade ago.

Latest Discussions