Rolling Tatami for Tameshigiri

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to good reference material for Rolling mats to make Tameshigiri targets? Somthing with illustrations possibly?

I'd like to learn how to do this, before we begin cutting practice this summer...

N

Nikolas P.

To be honest, I have no idea how. Have you tried Googling it?

Personally, I just buy my tameshigiri targets pre-made from Bugei.

Ralutin

White Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Can anyone point me to good reference material for Rolling mats to make Tameshigiri targets? Somthing with illustrations possibly?

I'd like to learn how to do this, before we begin cutting practice this summer...

Hi,

In addition to Bugei, you can also try here: Mugen Dachi Company

Unfortunately, they don't provide many pictures, but their description of how to roll mats is more than adequate.

I hope this helps.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nikolas P. said:
To be honest, I have no idea how. Have you tried Googling it?

Personally, I just buy my tameshigiri targets pre-made from Bugei.

Hmmm. Maybe I had misread their site... I thought they came flat and had to be rolled.

How do I know if the ones they sell will fit the peg on my stand correctly if It is pre-rolled?

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ralutin said:
Hi,

In addition to Bugei, you can also try here: Mugen Dachi Company

Unfortunately, they don't provide many pictures, but their description of how to roll mats is more than adequate.

I hope this helps.

I had looked at that site previously as well, but some of their descriptions of "folding" confised me, and thats why I had asked for pics.

Hopefully I will figure this out... if not, I guess my instructor gets to make all the mats.

B

buddah_belly

We've taken to using those pool noodles (for the swimming pool) and sticking a little piece of bamboo up the center of them. Much easier to come by than tatami. Probably a zillion angry samurai rolling in their graves over it though.

N

Nikolas P.

buddah_belly said:
We've taken to using those pool noodles (for the swimming pool) and sticking a little piece of bamboo up the center of them. Much easier to come by than tatami. Probably a zillion angry samurai rolling in their graves over it though.

*LOL*

I'd be curious to try that, see how much resistance it has compared to a traditional tameshigari stand.

B

buddah_belly

Since I've never cut tatami, I couldn't tell you. Just bamboo and pool noodles with bamboo in the middle of them.

Latest Discussions