Interested in Japanese sword arts

M

muaythaifreak

Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to the community and I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have been studying Muay Thai for about nine years and BJJ for about two years. Recently I've gotten a wild hair to explore some japanese sword arts. I don't know where this came from, but I feel I really must. The problem being that I know absolutely nothing about the subject other than knowing what the swords are called which the samurai carried. I'm looking for a school or a private instructor in my area and not having much luck. Could someone explain to me the differences between the styles and an explanation of the theory behind each? Even better if someone could direct me to a school in NC not too far from Charlotte? Thanks for your help.
JD

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me start by saying first off...best of luck in your studies. The sword arts are something that I've been wanting to do for a long time and can't find an instructor here either. Fair warning, the sword arts are nothing that you can dabble in. It's something that you'll have to dedicate yourself to 110%. I've had discussions with instructors via the internet and have met a couple at seminars and the one thing that I take away from the conversation is always details, details, details. Again, good luck.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well. The closest I can get you is Cullowhee, but it's a good 3 hour drive away from you according to MSN maps. Still, it is probably one of your best options if you can stomach the drive. Greg Huff-sensei is a nanadan kyoshi(7th dan 2nd teaching rank) in the main line of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido. He is retired navy and trained in Japan for many years under Maruyama-sensei, who is a judan(10th dan) and one of the most influential folks within the mainline of MJER. It's worth a drive just to see him.

You can learn more about Huff-sensei at http://www.eishinkai.homestead.com/

OP
M

muaythaifreak

thanks for the help folks, I'm gonna try to plan a visit soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest Discussions