Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
One of the things that I appreciate about Jordan's writing is his more realistic view of warfare. The campaigns in his books are well written and, from what I can gather, reflect many aspects of what actually happen. I think graduating from the citidel really gives him an unique perspective.

Also, I've been thinking about the comment that Jordan is hard on women. I really don't see this. I think that he portrays woman in very strong and positive rolls and that his books present a break from the male dominated fantasy of the past. Hell, think about the early Conan novels and compare THAT to Jordan. THAT was exploitation.

Well, I would have to agree that the Conan books are worse. Still, I think Jordan could have done it differently. He takes every oppurtuniyt to have the women either topeless, or naked. Everyone likes a little buff, but really, is it not a little extreme?

I also agree with the warfare... I enjoy the fact that the confusion in battle is shown, how people are carried along in events out of their control, the emotional scarring.. very well done. The best though is the one on one battle with Perrin, or Mat, or Rand..

On that note... (spoiler) Jordan spends so much time building the swordwork, honing Rand to perfection, forcing the Ash'man to use the sword, that it should be pivotal,, and yet, when Rand loses his hand, all he can say is that he will need to re-learn????? How anti-climatic!!! I don't get it. Any opinions?

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I will read the series some day...just after i finish RA Salvatores 1 million books....how many trilogies does he have.....

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
I will read the series some day...just after i finish RA Salvatores 1 million books....how many trilogies does he have.....

Ah yes... Now Drizzit is a great MA..(wink)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
oldnewbie said:
Well, I would have to agree that the Conan books are worse. Still, I think Jordan could have done it differently. He takes every oppurtuniyt to have the women either topeless, or naked. Everyone likes a little buff, but really, is it not a little extreme?

I would still say it was tasteful, but that's just my opinion.

On that note... (spoiler) Jordan spends so much time building the swordwork, honing Rand to perfection, forcing the Ash'man to use the sword, that it should be pivotal,, and yet, when Rand loses his hand, all he can say is that he will need to re-learn????? How anti-climatic!!! I don't get it. Any opinions?

How many MAists have to readjust everything they learn after an injury? I know that I had to. I think that Rand losing his left hand was symbolic. Besides, how useful was the sword to him anyway when he can use the One Power? I don't think Rands confrontation with Shai'tan will involve any sword work.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems to me that Jordan has dragewd the series out way to long.
I just plain got tired of reading them.
I know a lot of areas where covered and so much was put in frount of the readedr in the first 6 or so books that could be expanded on in the later books(and may have) but I got tired of the story after a while.
It started looking like the writer was being paid by the word not the book

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I would still say it was tasteful, but that's just my opinion.

How many MAists have to readjust everything they learn after an injury? I know that I had to. I think that Rand losing his left hand was symbolic. Besides, how useful was the sword to him anyway when he can use the One Power? I don't think Rands confrontation with Shai'tan will involve any sword work.

I guess I assumed that He would need it when he is shielded during the last battle. That was Rand's point several times in the books. That's why the Ash'man were required to learn the sword. It was a very important point.. I thought.

At this point in the story he really does not have the time to "re-learn"...

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
oldnewbie said:

I thought that Rand was more concerned with the problems that led to the loss of his hand, which are a bit more threatening to his overall plans than what hand he uses his sword with...

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been reading this seies for a very long time. It is great but it takes way too long for each new book to come out.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I have been reading this seies for a very long time. It is great but it takes way too long for each new book to come out.

So me just starting the series is a good thing then, by the time I get to 11, number 12 should be out for a while and if I get bored, I will just read this thread and not have to bother :D

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
So me just starting the series is a good thing then, by the time I get to 11, number 12 should be out for a while and if I get bored, I will just read this thread and not have to bother :D

It is a really greatseries but someone who started reading it back when it first came out it has been a bit trying at times waiting for the next book. Robert Jordan has really created a great world.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
I thought that Rand was more concerned with the problems that led to the loss of his hand, which are a bit more threatening to his overall plans than what hand he uses his sword with...

Yes I would have to agree with that. Good point. Thanks

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some points after reading this thread.
Anyone else concerned that Jordan may die before finishing the series?
A bit of space before spoilers would be appreciated. I haven't read KoD yet since my gf bought it for me for Xmas.
A few people have mentioned the Sword of Truth series. I've read the first 6 (I think) books in that series, and there are a lot of similarities between the two:
The protagonist is the first of his kind in centuries (Dragon Reborn/War Wizard)
There is a female society determined to control the protagonist (Aes Sedai/forget the term in SoT)
Maidens of the Shield/Mord Sith as a personal retinue of the protagonist.
Etc

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a patient reader. I get bored quickly. I generally read either short books (Narnia series) or fast-paced books (Dan Brown's "Angels & Demons"). Jordan's books seem to be neither.

I plodded through part of the first book. I liked the characters and potential plot but got...well, bored. As I recall, they'd traveled a good ways to some town and had spent countless pages doing very little.

Am I really missing out here? Do I need to just buckle down and keep reading? Are the rewards worth it or will I always be reading 100 pages to appreciate a single event?

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Some points after reading this thread.
Anyone else concerned that Jordan may die before finishing the series?
A bit of space before spoilers would be appreciated. I haven't read KoD yet since my gf bought it for me for Xmas.
A few people have mentioned the Sword of Truth series. I've read the first 6 (I think) books in that series, and there are a lot of similarities between the two:
The protagonist is the first of his kind in centuries (Dragon Reborn/War Wizard)
There is a female society determined to control the protagonist (Aes Sedai/forget the term in SoT)
Maidens of the Shield/Mord Sith as a personal retinue of the protagonist.
Etc

I noticed a few similarities between the two series. Goodkind, however, tends to be a bit more obvious - OK a LOT more obvious - when he's got a political axe to grind. He didn't fall into Jordan's trap of trying to weave a dozen simultaneous plot threads. And most important, he doesn't seem to be obsessed with females spanking each other, which occurs with astonishing regularity in Jordan's books. I'm not sure, but I think almost 25% of Jordan's latest book is dedicated to spanking. It's getting a bit disturbing.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jordan definitely does take a lot of time to develop his subplots. I had a similar reaction to yours the first time I read Dune. The first several chapters almost put me to sleep. WoT is (IMO) a fascinating series with a very intricate weave (c'mon, gimme some props) of subplots and interesting characters and locations.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm up to the epilogue of Knife of Dreams. After a story that seemed to inch along for the last several books, Jordan really kicked it into high gear for this one, wow!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
qizmoduis said:
I noticed a few similarities between the two series. Goodkind, however, tends to be a bit more obvious - OK a LOT more obvious - when he's got a political axe to grind. He didn't fall into Jordan's trap of trying to weave a dozen simultaneous plot threads. And most important, he doesn't seem to be obsessed with females spanking each other, which occurs with astonishing regularity in Jordan's books. I'm not sure, but I think almost 25% of Jordan's latest book is dedicated to spanking. It's getting a bit disturbing.

How many books do I have to wait for this? Women spanking women? How about Jessica Alba and Meg Tilly? Do they make an appearance?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I really liked the first three or four Goodkind books as well - after that they became unreadable, IMO. I can't even GIVE away one of mine to friends who were in love with "Wizard's First Rule".

I am just starting Robert Jordan's series, partly because of this thread, so I'll have to see. If he tanks as quickly as Goodkind did, than :2xBird2:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
How many books do I have to wait for this? Women spanking women? How about Jessica Alba and Meg Tilly? Do they make an appearance?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I really liked the first three or four Goodkind books as well - after that they became unreadable, IMO. I can't even GIVE away one of mine to friends who were in love with "Wizard's First Rule".

I am just starting Robert Jordan's series, partly because of this thread, so I'll have to see. If he tanks as quickly as Goodkind did, than :2xBird2:

Oh no, he tanks after book 5, which puts you exactly halfway through the currently written books.

Lamont

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are we using spoiler space in this thread? Is that even something we do on MT?

Eh, **** it. If you don't want to know a major plot point, stop reading. Although, I'm heartily in favor of spoiler tags which black out text.

Dead people started getting better?? You mean you stopped after the first book? Anyways, I gave up on the book where Rand cleaned the male Source, and I don't remember which that was in the series. It was 8 or more, I believe.
It was a decent enough read, but when Main Characters for which you're waiting an update go a whole book without mention, you can expect me to get pissed and stop reading.

So, Knife of Dreams was an attempt to bring back all the folks (and there are A LOT of us) who'd gotten pissed and bailed out on Jordon's long-winded crapfest? Is it really worth catching up? Sell me on it.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
rutherford said:
It was a decent enough read, but when Main Characters for which you're waiting an update go a whole book without mention, you can expect me to get pissed and stop reading.

To a point. Ol' beardo is not really worth getting updates on. Beardo = boring.

So, Knife of Dreams was an attempt to bring back all the folks (and there are A LOT of us) who'd gotten pissed and bailed out on Jordon's long-winded crapfest? Is it really worth catching up? Sell me on it.

You get updates on all the characters, and things actually happening. No more of that "It hasn't rained" as the major plot point for three books etc.

Latest Discussions