Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm finishing up book 11 (Knife of Dreams) and not so patiently waiting for book 12 (the last book). This series is great, perhaps the best fantasy series ever written. And its loaded with Martial Arts stuff too! The duel at the beginning of book 11 was excellent.

This thread is dedicated to the Wheel of Time series. Who else is reading it? What do you think?

upnorthkyosa

ps - I'm an uberdorky WOTist. I've read the series five times.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I gave up after book #6 (went to a pre dune phase instead)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
whats the name of the first book? When I graduate, I might look into it...

MrH

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it's very good, but I also gave up after around book #6. Here's a bit of a spoiler...I hated that stupid weather bowl! God, talk about dragging out a plot point (just a little peeve). It took them I think three books to recover the thing and I just stopped caring. The first few books were absolutely outstanding though, I just felt that the series overall was a little dragged out. Does it get better later?

I might be going to a George R.R. Martin book signing Thursday in Dayton for his new book in the Song of Ice and Fire series. That's my favorite modern fantasy series so far.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
whats the name of the first book? When I graduate, I might look into it...

MrH

Yeah, it's definitely worth a read to see if you like it. A lot of people have said that it's one of the best ever. First book's called "The Eye of the World." Enjoy.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The first three books are the best in the series. In fact, I think for non serious readers, I would recommend those books above all of the others. The end of the third book is a pretty good stopping point. However, there is a lot of good stuff that follows.

Its important to think of this series as one huge story. Some of the books in the middle are slower because they are setting so much stuff up. As one gets to the end, however, the action really picks up. Book 11 is awesome. So much stuff is happening so fast that I can hardly put it down.

What do you all think of the sword art that is described in the books? It sounds interesting. I wish it were real because I'd want to study it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I used to be a huge WoT fan, but the last oh, 3-4 books have just killed me. I used to recommend it to people because of the great world building and strong female roles. Now the female roles have become a characticture of braid pulling, skirt tugging, Aes Sedai aloofness, etc etc. Jordan is still a great world builder, but he can't manage his points-of-view, he keeps adding in characters that don't add to the plot and just further distract from the pacing of the story. Actually, he just needs an editor with a big red pen and the guts to tell him to trim it down. Most of the last book (Winters Heart, I think) could have been ignored completely as it didn't move anything forward.

Best Ever? Wow, I don't think so, though I might have said so if the quality maintained at the level of the first three books. Tolkien is still the standard, and for modern fantasy Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire gets my vote.

Lamont

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've enjoyed the books to a point as well. Just finshed #11 after re- reading the first ten to get back into the story.

My feelings:

1. Jordan spends too much time on detail description, and I find myself skimming..no pun intended.

2. Have to agree with the wife that he demeans the women a bit. I mean really..., naked when they are tested, topless on the ships, naked when they are beaten,..see a pattern?

3. I have truly loved the swords arts. Probably Jordan's strongest work in the series. I too would love to study it.

4. If the next book doesn't end the series, I don;t know what I will do.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I stopped taking the books seriously once dead people started getting better. Up til that point it was dragging along a bit, but at least progress was being made. Then it's, oh by the way, he's not dead, and now she's a man baby!

Really made me lament the loss of Balefire.

The bowl of winds took up way too much time, and it made us have to read about the windfinders. Don't really care if they hang eachother up in the rigging naked and then demote them etc thank you RJ.

I figure he'll actually get to the last battle around book 20.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Book 12 A Memory of Light is suppose to be the last one. I totally understand why people are tired of the series. Heck, the first book came out in like 1992? I still think its the best.

Heres why...

1. The depth of the history is in the world is immense.
2. The cultural flavors are rich and in depth.
3. The characters are fleshed out and real.
4. The story is compelling.
5. Good use of archtypes.

There are parts of the series that I like and parts that I don't like. In my experience, in all of the really good books I've read, this was the case. There is something for everyone.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
As a complete aside, whats with the whole thing about Mat being Odin?

Lets see:

Has a glaive with the words Thought and Memory and ravens on it.
Odin has two ravens named Hugin and Mugin (Thought and memory) and uses a spear.

Mat wears a wide brimmed hat, Odin wears a wide-brimmed hat.

Odin hung himself from Yggrdrasill to gain knowledge, Mat was hung from a tree as the price for gaining knowledge.

Whats next? An eight-legged horse and him losing his eye?

Lamont

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another book out? Whoa.. I couldn't finish the last one.. to long between books methinks.. I initially enjoyed the series.. but I think it's just drawn out to long.. Myself, I prefer Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' series.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny this thread should show up now, lol. I am about 1/2 way through the first book. My daughter has read the first five and is struggling through the 6th. She says she is having a hard time and it is getting a bit boring (for her anyways). So far, I am enjoying it. Thanks for the insight.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Funny this thread should show up now, lol. I am about 1/2 way through the first book. My daughter has read the first five and is struggling through the 6th. She says she is having a hard time and it is getting a bit boring (for her anyways). So far, I am enjoying it. Thanks for the insight.

This thread is going to be loaded with spoilers...fyi...I hope you don't mind. :idunno:

The Mat = Odin thing is one of the cool things I like about the series. Jordan draws on lots of different mythologies to create this world. I think we can expect more Odin-like behavior from Mat...in fact I think that Min Prohesized that he would lose an eye...

How'd ya'll think Tarmon Gaidon is going to go down?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
How'd ya'll think Tarmon Gaidon is going to go down?

Mat's going to get eaten by Fenris? Maybe thats an analogy for Perrin becoming a Forsaken and turning on Rand and Company. Well, it would be cool at least. :)

Lamont

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the things that I appreciate about Jordan's writing is his more realistic view of warfare. The campaigns in his books are well written and, from what I can gather, reflect many aspects of what actually happen. I think graduating from the citidel really gives him an unique perspective.

Also, I've been thinking about the comment that Jordan is hard on women. I really don't see this. I think that he portrays woman in very strong and positive rolls and that his books present a break from the male dominated fantasy of the past. Hell, think about the early Conan novels and compare THAT to Jordan. THAT was exploitation.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't find the nudity to be objectionable, these are examples of different cultural norms in the case of the Windfinders, and special ceremonies or punishments in the case of the Aes Sedai. I do think it is strange that the women POV's are constantly thinking about spanking or switching someone else, usually another woman, while the males do not.

Lamont

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
I initially enjoyed the series.. but I think it's just drawn out to long.. Myself, I prefer Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' series.

Um, Tess, the Sword of Truth series is only one book shorter (Debt of Bones will make 10) than the Wheel of Time, both are ridiculously long. Honestly, I barely made it through Wizards First Rule, something about his writing just didn't let me get into it.

Lamont

Latest Discussions