Robert Jordan DEAD!!!!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Terry

I understand that everyone will feel sad because someone died, but there is a thead in the Hall to comemorate that. For the rest of us Wheel of Time fans, I wanted to start a discussion about how this is going to affect the series. Callous? Yes. But this is also important to many posters on MT.

upnorthkyosa

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Hi Terry

I understand that everyone will feel sad because someone died, but there is a thead in the Hall to comemorate that. For the rest of us Wheel of Time fans, I wanted to start a discussion about how this is going to affect the series. Callous? Yes. But this is also important to many posters on MT.

upnorthkyosa

A child o' four coulda told you this is NOT the time to say that.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Does a person's work die with them? Did people ask these questions when other important people died with work that defined them left unfinished? Absolutely! It's entirely appropriate, IMO, to discuss the remembrance of the man (who was a two tour serviceman in Veitnam) and his work in the same breath. They are one in the same.

And I hope that when I die, that people will be waiting with baited breath to pick up the legacy that I leave.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Yes, my wife will pull her braid, fold her arms beneath her breasts, and contemplate how many spankings it would take to correct his behavior.

Um, when are we allowed to talk about this? What is the appropriate time of mourning for an author?

Lamont

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hi Terry

upnorthkyosa

I can see both sides of this... I think Terry is welcome to express his respect if he wishes, and I think upnorthkyosa is welcome to start a discussion about what's going to happen to WOT - and while the location of this thread, in The Rec Room, indicates somewhat which way upnorth wanted the discussion to go, the original post says "This is every WOT fan's worst nightmare! Now how is the series going to end!" - and I don't know that I would have realized, without upnorth's later comments, that he wanted to discuss the series rather than the author... and I don't see a real problem with a discussion of what's going to happen with the series; nor do I see a problem with people expressing respect for Robert Jordan within this thread.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, Kacey. Please allow me to cross link the threads...

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Harriet, his wife/editor has the bones of the story and all his notes, so we should see a final book.

I was shocked and saddened, but I had known about the blood disease for awhile.

RIP Oliver Rigney aka Robert Jordan

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst I empathise totally with Andy's "Too soon!" reaction, I can also fully feel Upnorth's "Noooo, you haven't finished it!".

It's makes you feel horridly guilty to feel something so selfish but it's a real response nontheless.

I know that a couple of people I know will be gnashing their teeth, not through a sense of grief that such a good writer has passed on, but because he mucked about re-writing Conan rather than finishing the work that defined his career.

RIP, RJ.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Well I'll say this much at least: that if I ever croaked before my great work( whatever the hell that ends up being) was done, and on the very same day my death became known, or at least up to and including whatever date I was supposed to get shoved in the ground, someone decided, while my family was yet grieving, before I was yet buried, to go on about what was gonna happen to my *fictional* work, Well, I might just have to kick my way out of that casket MYSELF to smack him upside the head.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, I am a both sad for his family and panicked that I won't know what becomes of Rand, Min, and N'nayve.
Oh man, I hope he had the final books or at least notes from them put away so we can see what happened to all of the incredible characters he made in the Wheel of Time series.

AoG

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, he was going on about contingency plans re: death on his own blog. I think he understood... maybe was even flattered at his success.

ArmorofGod- I see you everywhere.... poker forums too...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS

Please return to the original topic.

Pamela Piszczek
MT Super Moderator

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I stopped reading this series two books ago, but as I recall the author had always said "I had a vision to how the books started and ended, I just didn't know the middle" or words to that effect. I would hope that he would have transmitted what his view of the the "end" was given his health problems.

Lamont

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I stopped reading this series two books ago, but as I recall the author had always said "I had a vision to how the books started and ended, I just didn't know the middle" or words to that effect. I would hope that he would have transmitted what his view of the the "end" was given his health problems.

Lamont
Jordan had a blog over at Dragonmount. He passed on the basics of the last book, so hopefully the series will be finished at some point.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is every WOT fan's worst nightmare! Now how is the series going to end!

Ummmm... this series was going to end? From the last book I read (didn't pick up the last one published), it definitely didn't give any impression of having an ending.

This is a series that started phenomenally, but then LESS and LESS seemed to actually happen in each succeeding book (too many characters to follow). Hugely ambitious, but ultimately I think it fell far short of the author's goal.

Note to writers: Every good story needs a beginning, a middle, and an end. And should take somewhere less than 10000 pages and/or 10 years to get to it.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ummmm... this series was going to end? From the last book I read (didn't pick up the last one published), it definitely didn't give any impression of having an ending.

This is a series that started phenomenally, but then LESS and LESS seemed to actually happen in each succeeding book (too many characters to follow). Hugely ambitious, but ultimately I think it fell far short of the author's goal.

Note to writers: Every good story needs a beginning, a middle, and an end. And should take somewhere less than 10000 pages and/or 10 years to get to it.

Jordan had said that book twelve was going to be the last one, even if the publisher had to provide a dolly with every copy.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The last book that came out kicked things into overdrive.

Latest Discussions