Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's not a lot to go on, MJS.

Very thin story indeed.

Reaction straight off the bat, I'd say that the prisoners rights were infringed, aye; except for the little note that he was damaging the cell.

If he's ripping the place up, I suspect he got off lightly.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised there would be that much that could be damaged in a holding cell, but I haven't seen many of them.

Were his rights violated? Which right? The police might have used unreasonable force to stop whatever he was doing (and then again, maybe not), but what right would have been violated?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was tossing around the idea of not posting this and probably shouldn't have, instead waiting until more was available, but figured I'd take a shot at it anyways. :)

I would be interested in knowing how this guy was acting. However, there have been times when inmates in the prison and people brought to the PD and placed in a cell, have refused to come out, flooded the cell, and things of that nature, and have been hit with OC or a Taser.

Many times, I think that people assume that because someone is detained, ie: locked in a cell, handcuffed, etc., that it means they're totally under control. Just because someone is cuffed with their hands behind their back, doesnt mean they can't kick or struggle, difficult as it may be. So you have someone in a holding cell, acting like a jerk, so he gets OC'd.

So far, going on what I've read so far, I dont see anything wrong.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a little more detail here:

http://www.wtic.com/ECSU-Police-Charged-with-Civil-Rights-Violations/5793076

I would say that if the FBI is involved and there was an indictment handed down, there is a chance that something untoward happened. What that might be, I don't know. I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with spraying an unruly inmate with pepper spray, but perhaps this was more than that. Dunno.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional links Bill. :) IMO, the only thing that I could see, that may get them jammed up, is the fact that they left him in the cell for 11min, rather than removing him, possibly moving him to a special cell, ie; EDP, washing the OC from him, etc. Then again, does the OC always have the desired effect on people? Its possible that it wasn't having any effect on this guy.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a little more detail here:

http://www.wtic.com/ECSU-Police-Charged-with-Civil-Rights-Violations/5793076

I would say that if the FBI is involved and there was an indictment handed down, there is a chance that something untoward happened. What that might be, I don't know. I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with spraying an unruly inmate with pepper spray, but perhaps this was more than that. Dunno.
There's a chance -- but far from a certainty. The vaunted FBI has been known to succumb to political pressure in this sort of case...