Rhonda Rousey?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
whats the line on her? i saw some youtube clips, and she looks like she has game.

With the man beast Cyborg out of the game now, who are the up and commers in women's MMA?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rhonda Rousey trained at Jimmy Pedro's place when she was training for the Olympics. Judo is in her blood, her mom was a judoka as well.

Met her briefly when she was in town, she's one kickass fighter. I'm psyched to see her fight MMA.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I posted a thread on her a while back. She's making waves largely due to her very short fights, her looks and her self promotion. She kick ***, but is she good for the sport? I think so, but not everyone does.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the clips i saw were very short because she isnt playing around, she goes for the takedown, and gets position for the arm bar and BAM fight over.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I listened to her on the Joe Rogan podcast. She sounds legit.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think she won all of her professional fights with arm bar..

She has won all of her professional AND amateur fights by armbar, actually. Her longest fight was her title fight with Miesha Tate and it didn't last the full first round, and Tate's arm was destroyed. I'm really looking forward to seeing Rousey vs. Kaufman and then Rousey vs. Coenen (assuming they let her back into Strikeforce) because they are bound to be awesome!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I have heard, people that don't like Rousey just think that she hadn't fought much to be given a title shot. And that because she is too new, it was too soon to start calling her the new face of women's MMA.

I have not heard anything negative about her actual skills or personality.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The kid has one hell of a pedigree. Mom was a World Judo Champion, Ronda is an Olympic Medalist in Judo, she's been training since she was in diapers, been arm barring people since she wore Garanimals, and she's an MMA World Bantamweight Champion. (Holy Cow!)

Some don't like her because she's outspoken, some point out that's she's not a great striker, that she has weak competition, that she's never had a long fight. I find her so damn inspiring I can hardly stand it. I love watching this kid fight. I hope she has a long, great career.

There was an odd moment on last Friday's The Ultimate Fighter TV show. The poor boys didn't quite know what to do with a pretty gal in their house that could whoop their butts. I found this pretty funny!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqgjw9_ronda-rousey-on-tuf-live_sport?search_algo=1

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rhonda Rousey is definetely the real deal. If you saw her on The Ultimate Fighter Live, she nearly broke Dominick Cruz's ribs. An up and coming female mixed martial artist I would like to see fight again soon is Miesha Tate. I know she lost the title to Rousey, but she still has a lot of potential.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of my judo coaches was just telling me that he used to train at the same club with Rhonda Rousey, before she got involved in MMA. According to him "she's about 30 pounds lighter than I am, but about twice as strong as I am."

Siamese

White Belt
Reaction score
With the man beast Cyborg out of the game now, who are the up and commers in women's MMA?

Because she had muscles like a 15 year old boy? I dont think you have seen a roided up woman before. Try to run a picture search for female bodybuilder.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Compared to the other women in the sport, yes she's a man beast.
$cris_cyborg_santos.jpg

She roided, test results confirmed that. It's not speculation like it was before her fight with Carano. Different goals of steroids in MMA than in bodybuilding and different training protocols as well. A roided bodybuilder is only going to train as much as possible for muscle hypertrohpy (size), whereas an MMA fighter is going to use them to get stronger and more cut without moving up a weight class. Doesn't change the advantage though.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Siamese

White Belt
Reaction score
Compared to the other women in the sport, yes she's a man beast.
View attachment 16952

She roided, test results confirmed that. It's not speculation like it was before her fight with Carano. Different goals of steroids in MMA than in bodybuilding and different training protocols as well. A roided bodybuilder is only going to train as much as possible for muscle hypertrohpy (size), whereas an MMA fighter is going to use them to get stronger and more cut without moving up a weight class. Doesn't change the advantage though.

Cant argue with the test results, but cant a gifted woman put on like 10 lbs more muscle than the competition naturally? And manbeast? If you would put me next to her I would dwarf her and with 16 inch arms I consider myself fit, but a long shot from Hulk. Also what about Brock, he was huge, he came from the WWE. He weighed in close to 280. Did he get checked up for roids? Maybe he was even clean during his MMA days, seen as he got a gut, but I am sure when he bulked up for the WWE it wasnt just protein shakes he took.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant argue with the test results, but cant a gifted woman put on like 10 lbs more muscle than the competition naturally? And manbeast? If you would put me next to her I would dwarf her and with 16 inch arms I consider myself fit, but a long shot from Hulk. Also what about Brock, he was huge, he came from the WWE. He weighed in close to 280. Did he get checked up for roids? Maybe he was even clean during his MMA days, seen as he got a gut, but I am sure when he bulked up for the WWE it wasnt just protein shakes he took.

Cyborg's face had the blocky characteristics of female steroid use, making her face resemble a man's. I don't know about any other changes, but I can guess-thus, Man-beast is totally approriate.

Yes, Brock got checked for steroids, but he's always been huge-he's genetically gifted: he was tested all through his collefe wrestling career, and he weighed about the same-I think he wrestled at 270 lbs.:

$brocklesnar1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Siamese

White Belt
Reaction score
About the face I must say that many south American women kinda have that look. But yeah, if she got busted, she used steroids at least at some point. Doesnt she get checked constantly? Couldnt she have been clean before the positive test results, or did they refine their testing, meaning they dected something they couldnt detect before?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About the face I must say that many south American women kinda have that look. But yeah, if she got busted, she used steroids at least at some point. Doesnt she get checked constantly? Couldnt she have been clean before the positive test results, or did they refine their testing, meaning they dected something they couldnt detect before?

We've had the before and after photos of Cyborg on here before, her face has changed quite a lot since her steroid use so yes it's obvious where she got her size.
If athletes cycle their steroid use properly it's relatively easy to avoid having a postive test, however many do slip up which she's obviously done.

Latest Discussions