Reverse Blade Sword

karlravioli

White Belt
Reaction score
pgsmith said:
I'm sorry, but it is strictly a product of the author's imagination. There are only two types of very rare Japanese swords that come anywhere close to the reverse bladed sword in the anime. Both types are tanto (knives less that 12 inches) with a backwards curve. One is serrated and was used by fisherman, the other is more conventional and was used for removing heads on the battlefield. If someone told you that there is really an art that uses something as silly as a reverse bladed sword, they are either clueless or lying to you. I've been involved in the Japanese sword arts for a number of years now, and I can honestly tell you that a reverse bladed sword makes absolutely no sense in the real world. :)

I do agree with Michael though in that you don't want to put something tacky and crappy looking on your wall.

lol, man, u guys r so negative. a reverse blade sword DOES make sense in the real world. what if u get jumped on the street and for some reason you have a reverse blade sword on you (maybe cuz you're bringing it over to a freinds house just to show them, or u just cuz u think it looks kewl :ultracool) and this is your only means of defense. don't u think that it'd b better to have a REVERSE blade sword instead of a regular one so that if u DO have to fight the guy/s with it, u wont' cut him in half and get sent to jail, instead u'll probably just break an arm or a leg or something which might save you a life sentance and won't get you in half as much trouble. i think someone should invent/create some sort of fighting style for the reverse blade sword strictly for self defence pourpouses only, so you can defend yourself, without killin the ohter guy. :)

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
karlravioli said:
lol, man, u guys r so negative. a reverse blade sword DOES make sense in the real world. what if u get jumped on the street and for some reason you have a reverse blade sword on you (maybe cuz you're bringing it over to a freinds house just to show them, or u just cuz u think it looks kewl :ultracool) and this is your only means of defense. don't u think that it'd b better to have a REVERSE blade sword instead of a regular one so that if u DO have to fight the guy/s with it, u wont' cut him in half and get sent to jail, instead u'll probably just break an arm or a leg or something which might save you a life sentance and won't get you in half as much trouble. i think someone should invent/create some sort of fighting style for the reverse blade sword strictly for self defence pourpouses only, so you can defend yourself, without killin the ohter guy. :)

Hi Karl, welcome to MT. :) How about posting an introduction thread in the Meet and Greet forum? What is your martial art background?

Another thing: Can you please use proper punctuation and grammar? That will make your posts easier to read. Thanks!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karlravioli said:

And maybe, I can scare him with my reverse chuck nunchucks, ya know, two chains connected by a stick. And maybe that will only tangle him up so I dont go to jail for assault... oh wait... assault is assault regardless isnt it? And the idea of reverse chuck nunchucks is stupid.

And people need to quit mistaking anime for Budo.

PERIOD.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
karlravioli said:

I can only hope this post is a joke.

On the off hand that it is not a joke: if you want to defend yourself without killing your opponent, an edged weapon of any kind is a poor choice. Once you start dealing with cutting and stabbing techniques, it becomes far too easy to sever an artery which results in death a few seconds later. If you want a non-lethal weapon for defense, try a blunt object like a club, or some pepperspray.

The notion that you might just "happen" to be carrying a reverse bladed sword when you are attacked on the street is just about as funny as it gets.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
The notion that you might just "happen" to be carrying a reverse bladed sword when you are attacked on the street is just about as funny as it gets.

No man, I ONLY attack people who are carrying large obvious weapons, as opposed to people who appear helpless and unable to defend themselves... cuz thats just how I roll.

OMFG WHT 4 LZR

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The katana has the cutting edge on the outside because it's aerodynamically more efficient for cutting. The same is true for a Chinese broadsword or for any curved blade.

Yes, there are a few Chinese blade that are curved but double-edged but these are weapons that require very specialized training.

I would think that a katana with a reverse cutting edge would likely break if you struck with much power-

karlravioli

White Belt
Reaction score
just an idea guys :rolleyes:

even if it was a stupid post, it's just an opinion, u dont' have to be so mean about it :) even if it is totally wrong

karlravioli

White Belt
Reaction score
and could you really sever an artery with a reverse blade hitting with the blunt side?! man that would suck :eek:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
karlravioli said:

even if it was a stupid post, it's just an opinion, u dont' have to be so mean about it :) even if it is totally wrong

Don't worry about it, we're just pokin' fun. Pretty far-fetched idea, tho
icon12.gif

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
karlravioli said:
and could you really sever an artery with a reverse blade hitting with the blunt side?! man that would suck :eek:

Hitting with the blunt side, probably not. I was assuming we were talking about a sharp cutting edge, regardless of the shape of the blade.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
karlravioli said:

Just as long as you understand that reverse blade katana have NO practical use whatsoever. If you really don't want to cut someone open, use a blunt object for self-defense, not any kind of sword or knife. But remember that even bokken can break bones or kill your opponent.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I just read through teh post and I beleive my question has been answered, but I will ask it anyway.

Was this a real weapon actually used during the time of the Samurai or is it something that was popped up since Rurouni Kenshin (the Battōsai) stuff?

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I just read through teh post and I beleive my question has been answered, but I will ask it anyway.

Was this a real weapon actually used during the time of the Samurai or is it something that was popped up since Rurouni Kenshin (the Battōsai) stuff?

No, the reverse-blade katana was not used by the samurai.

The katana acquires its curvature (sori) by a clay coating on the blade, followed by a quench in oil or some other liquid. The thicker end of the blade would naturally form the inside of the curve. One would have to somehow alter the quenching process to get the thinner cutting edge to curve inward. I know that Rick Barrett once made a reverse blade katana for a customer, but this was solely a fantasy piece.

I never really understood the concept of a reverse-blade katana. If Kenshin didn't want to kill anymore, why even carry a sword? He could have carried a bokken, though he would have to be careful not to kill someone by blunt trauma to the head.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
No, the reverse-blade katana was not used by the samurai.

The katana acquires its curvature (sori) by a clay coating on the blade, followed by a quench in oil or some other liquid. The thicker end of the blade would naturally form the inside of the curve. One would have to somehow alter the quenching process to get the thinner cutting edge to curve inward. I know that Rick Barrett once made a reverse blade katana for a customer, but this was solely a fantasy piece.

I never really understood the concept of a reverse-blade katana. If Kenshin didn't want to kill anymore, why even carry a sword? He could have carried a bokken, though he would have to be careful not to kill someone by blunt trauma to the head.

As I suspected, thank you.

Didn't Miyamoto Musashi start using a bokken at one point and also killed a few with said bokken as well?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

karlravioli

White Belt
Reaction score
o, alright. hey, i found this reverse blade sword on ebay (i got it coming in the mail) if anyone's interested, this guy sells a lot of other swords to. the reverse blade swrod is handmade, full tang, "battle ready" and the sharp side is supposed to be razor sharp. and the overall price, including shipping and handling is about $100.00. here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Forged-Sakabato...hZ004QQcategoryZ43338QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
karlravioli said:
o, alright. hey, i found this reverse blade sword on ebay (i got it coming in the mail) if anyone's interested, this guy sells a lot of other swords to. the reverse blade swrod is handmade, full tang, "battle ready" and the sharp side is supposed to be razor sharp. and the overall price, including shipping and handling is about $100.00. here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Forged-Sakabatou-Reverse-Blade-Katana-Sword-Kenshin_W0QQitemZ140010019184QQihZ004QQcategoryZ43338QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

It certainly inspires confidence in the "battle ready" nature of the blade when the ebay ad itself reads:
As such, a "reversed blade katana" should be considered a DISPLAY/FANTASY sword... We do not recommend cutting anything harder than a pool noodle with this type of blade.

Latest Discussions