Reverse Blade Sword

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am considering getting a reverse bladed sword. It is both decent price and decent quality, though neither top-of-the-line nor a cheap rip-off.
First of all, should I get it.
Second, should a go for a more expensive one in the hopes that is will also be better quality?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is a Reverse Bladed Sword? In which art(s) is it used? Do you have training, or are you in a position to get training for it? Is there a link to the sword, so we can see what it is and get a sense of the quality?

OP
trueaspirer

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is used in Japanese arts. I have limited training with it. I don't have a link yet, but I will try to get one soon.
Thanks!

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is a Reverse Bladed Sword? In which art(s) is it used? Do you have training, or are you in a position to get training for it? Is there a link to the sword, so we can see what it is and get a sense of the quality?
The reverse bladed sword is from a popular Japanese anime. It has no historical equivalent and cannot actually be used in any sword art, therefore there is no way to get training.
First of all, should I get it.
If it is something that you really like, go for it.
Second, should a go for a more expensive one in the hopes that is will also be better quality?
I would recommend going for the cheaper one if you like the looks of it. Quality is pretty much irrelevant since it can only be used for decoration anyway.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Rurouni Kenshin fan in our midst it seems. :)

OP
trueaspirer

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah, you guys got me, I'm a Rurouni Kenshi fan. :uhyeah:
However, in all seriousness, I've definitely heard of it being used in real Japanese arts. I don't have much information on it at the moment, but I am doing research because it interests me so...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
trueaspirer said:
Ah, you guys got me, I'm a Rurouni Kenshi fan. :uhyeah:
However, in all seriousness, I've definitely heard of it being used in real Japanese arts. I don't have much information on it at the moment, but I am doing research because it interests me so...

well, if you decide to get it, I always advocate quality over saving a few bucks. If you can afford it, spend the extra money to get something that you have reason to believe is better quality. Even if it just ends up sitting on your wall as a decoration, what would you rather have, something that is real, or something that you know is a piece of junk, even if it looks pretty? Personally, I'd go with the real one. Otherwise it is just cheap, junky artwork, and it always looks tacky.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but it is strictly a product of the author's imagination. There are only two types of very rare Japanese swords that come anywhere close to the reverse bladed sword in the anime. Both types are tanto (knives less that 12 inches) with a backwards curve. One is serrated and was used by fisherman, the other is more conventional and was used for removing heads on the battlefield. If someone told you that there is really an art that uses something as silly as a reverse bladed sword, they are either clueless or lying to you. I've been involved in the Japanese sword arts for a number of years now, and I can honestly tell you that a reverse bladed sword makes absolutely no sense in the real world. :)

I do agree with Michael though in that you don't want to put something tacky and crappy looking on your wall.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
pgsmith said:
I'm sorry, but it is strictly a product of the author's imagination. There are only two types of very rare Japanese swords that come anywhere close to the reverse bladed sword in the anime. Both types are tanto (knives less that 12 inches) with a backwards curve. One is serrated and was used by fisherman, the other is more conventional and was used for removing heads on the battlefield. If someone told you that there is really an art that uses something as silly as a reverse bladed sword, they are either clueless or lying to you. I've been involved in the Japanese sword arts for a number of years now, and I can honestly tell you that a reverse bladed sword makes absolutely no sense in the real world. :)

I do agree with Michael though in that you don't want to put something tacky and crappy looking on your wall.

What Paul just said. If you want a reverse blade katana anyway, it can and has been done by at least one swordmaker. Rick Barrett made one for a customer; it was on his website for a while. It wasn't cheap; if I remember correctly, that sword was about $5000.

This one eBay seller named paartist86 sold reverse blade katana in the past. You cold give them a try, if you like. From what I understand, paartist's katana are "servicable", but the fittings are much to be desired. I personally don't care for paartist's swords.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reverse blade swords a neat, and I've considered getting one myself, being an anime fan, and the idea interested me.
But, the others are right, it's a fantasy blade only, and any that you get should only decorate your wall, and not be used.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Look up mastercutlery.com they have all kinds of Katanas-reverse blades-epie-& more.There price is resonable & I imagine most place like Asian world ect get from them As it is mainly for dealers or schools.

OP
trueaspirer

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for your advice and info. I could have sworn there was a real art, but I believe you that there isnt.
-*sighs*-

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with owning a fantasy sword - just as long as you know that it is based on a made-up world. And don't bring it to the dojo. ;)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are looking for something like the sword that comes out of the anime, but there are several examples of "reverse bladed swords" out there, they just don't come from Japan. Take a look at some of the longer Khukri, ginunting, or yataghan.

Lamont

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
However, while those blades are inward curving to varying degrees, they are not "reverse bladed." As a comparison, here's a picture of a Turkish yatagan ...
yatagan10.jpg

Here's a sword-length kukhri ...
yhst-7333098713883_1801_3440348

Please take note of the tip curvature of both of these swords.

Now here is a picture of the "reverse bladed katana" from the Kenshin anime ...
AY148S-B_6.jpg

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
pgsmith said:
However, while those blades are inward curving to varying degrees, they are not "reverse bladed." As a comparison, here's a picture of a Turkish yatagan ...
yatagan10.jpg

Here's a sword-length kukhri ...
yhst-7333098713883_1801_3440348

Please take note of the tip curvature of both of these swords.

Now here is a picture of the "reverse bladed katana" from the Kenshin anime ...
AY148S-B_6.jpg

Whoops, you are correct sir!

Lamont

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
trueaspirer said:
It is used in Japanese arts. I have limited training with it. I don't have a link yet, but I will try to get one soon.
Thanks!
You are completely wrong. Reverse blade swords don't exist or used in Japanese sword arts because there is no combative value of a reverse blade sword in the context of legitimate Japanese swordsmanship.

Reverse blade sword is strictly a fantasy weapon of the Kenshin anime. To have one for real is more for novelty reasons and not for training in a classical Japanese sword art.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
The reverse blade katana is a work of fantasy, however, there have been other blades that did have the "edge" on the inside. I saw a Chinese sword once that looked like an inside-out scimitar, person who showed it to me swore it was authentic. It was carbon steel, not stainless, but looked, hand made. Haven't seen anthing like it since, so it might have been something someone slapped together to wow a tourist. I've seen some short blades that had a reverse edge on them too.

But, the Kenshin sword, cool as it is, is fantasy. Looks good on the wall though.