Respect

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not holding the door open for someone behind you who has both hands full. Ignoring a co-worker who clearly needs help moving a large heavy object.
Wow.. That's a really big difference between how I see those things.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you hold the door open for them, is that respect?
That's not "respect" You just try to protect that person from being injury. When you save a child from a car in the street, you don't respect that child. You save that child. That child should respect your behavior instead.

I do think the word "respect" has been abused here. Respect to me is something that come from the bottom of my heart.

A: Should we pay evil with good?
B: If you pay evil with good, what will you pay good?

If you respect everybody, which word will you use to someone that you truly respect from the bottom of your heart?

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, that's why I didn't do it. In the end it only would have hurt my career anyway. Still though, what a tool bag.
You don't think even wanting to physically assault them for such a minor thing might be the overreaction I was talking about?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's like smiling. You don't need a reason to smile or show respect. You do need a reason not to.
Correct
scary-ghost-face-halloween-theme-600nw-1823019743.jpg

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people are using respect to mean polite. This coupled with the fact that a lot of folks equate being treated with respect means to be deferred to as an authority or social superior is causing a lot of confusion in this thread.

I'm polite to everyone. I'm cautious as to who I defer to.

Mark

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A forced smile makes me more reserved than a relaxed but sincerly grumpy face.

This thread is starting to give me headache :wacky:

The alternative safe strategy is to initiate with a preemptive strike, just in case. You can always apologize later - I hear showing that you can be wrong is very popular and manly.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
A forced smile makes me more reserved than a relaxed but sincerly grumpy face.

This thread is starting to give me headache :wacky:

The alternative safe strategy is to initiate with a preemptive strike, just in case. You can always apologize later - I hear showing that you can be wrong is very popular and manly.
This is true, when I look at my employees.... a good throat punch not only establishes to them how I am feeling, so I am respecting them by communicating. As well it makes me feel better so I am respecting my own feelings.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people are using respect to mean polite. This coupled with the fact that a lot of folks equate being treated with respect means to be deferred to as an authority or social superior is causing a lot of confusion in this thread.

I'm polite to everyone. I'm cautious as to who I defer to.

Mark
Okay, so for people who are saying that "respect is earned" - and insist on using the word "respect" and not "deference" - what is the default? Is it disrespect? Is it contempt? What is it?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what is the default?
The default is "don't care".

I don't expect people to respect me if I haven't done anything to them. One day when I save the earth from alien attack, I may expect some respect from the earth people. Until then, I'll be happy if those earth people just treat me "friendly".

Last edited:

Latest Discussions