Rent raised 500%

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone knows what TKD is - NOBODY knows what Pung Wol Do is

Since you're apparently going to be moving, it might be a good idea to reconsider branding when you make your new signage and advertisements. What do you currently call your school?

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since you're apparently going to be moving, it might be a good idea to reconsider branding when you make your new signage and advertisements. What do you currently call your school?

If you look at the logo on my avatar, it's Columbia Martial Arts Academy. :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
:angel: I guess I trained my eyes to miss seeing avatars in addition to banner ads.

Well, the name seems innocuous enough, but it doesn't say enough about you IMO. It's easy enough to advertise for a TKD school.... "Columbia Martial Arts, Friendly Taekwondo for All Ages". That tells me in a few words what kind of a program it is. What would you write for Columbia Martial Arts and Pung Wol Do?

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the facilities director and he "assured" me that the hike for May will not be what was anticipated ... BUT ... ;)

The community center movement in Vancouver seems to be changing drastically. There have been many smaller businesses that teach under a contract employee situation which the city is now trying to eliminate completely. The move is towards prescribed offered classes and hourly-waged city employees as the instructors of these programs.

Apparently, I am the only on-going, regular contracted rental the city has. Further, the room rental rates are all over the place in price (likely because of recurring occasional rentals) and the idea of raising the price to standard is being applied across the board - but again, I'm unique so he's going to propose a much smaller amount for me.

The proposal is due tomorrow and I will know Monday if I'm approved to continue or not.

Again - even if this goes well, I don't believe this is over.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:angel: I guess I trained my eyes to miss seeing avatars in addition to banner ads.

Well, the name seems innocuous enough, but it doesn't say enough about you IMO. It's easy enough to advertise for a TKD school.... "Columbia Martial Arts, Friendly Taekwondo for All Ages". That tells me in a few words what kind of a program it is. What would you write for Columbia Martial Arts and Pung Wol Do?

From my facebook page - search for Columbia Martial Arts Academy and become a fan today :) - "Realistic defense for all walks of life, progressive belt-ranking program, family environment."

There's more on my trifold flyer and I'll get my website up one of these days.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is not the same story, but is kind of similar. I was in the local community center for 3 years when they decided to remove all programs not run directly by the county. That kicked out all programs after 3pm, which included me, the aerobics class, the yoga class, and the dance class. Now, they have a huge building that no none uses after 3:00.
They did that blanket decision for all 4 locations in the community center chain for the county. That also kicked my instructor out of the building he had been in for 6 years (at that point in time).

I went to my pastor and told him the situation (I was about to ask if I could use the multi-purpose room) and he interupted me to tell me to move it to that room. My martial arts class has now been at the church for 1 year and 1 week now and I have no plans on moving out.

Still, it was a huge mess when they told me I had two weeks to tell my students to leave. 2 weeks is not long enough to find or rent a building to move a large class to. In my computer, I had a long list of community centers, dance studios, and churches where I had contacts. I had that list if I was ever kicked out of the community center, and lo and behold, it did happen. I pulled my list out that day, but talked to my pastor before I started down that list.

My story has a happy ending, but I am saying I feel your pain. Good luck!

AoG

Latest Discussions