Remembering the Kent State Shooting in Ohio, 1970

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend of mine posted this on another board I frequent. Since I've refered to this tragedy a few times, it seemed appropriate to copy it here.

=====
SID Clue-By-Four Administrator
Kent_State_massacre.jpg

Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:23 pm Post subject: Remembering the Kent State Shooting in Ohio, 1970
Today, May 4th is the tragic anniversary of a dramatic moment in history where 4 young men and women (between 19 and 20) had their lives taken from them during a protest against the war in SE Asia.

I have set up a page regarding this on my website with photos, facts and commentary, please feel free to read more there.
http://www.neoengel.com/kentstateohiomay41970.html

Of the 4 Dead, only one was actually involved in the protest. Ironically one of the students killed was in the ROTC (Reserve Officer Training)

Despite any politics and views on either side, I still feel the killing and wounding commited that day went beyond inexcusable.

But I mark the day as one to pause, reflect and remember that the freedom to express yourself should not be taken in vain. Freedom of expression should be reserved for those who actually have something/anything of merit to say, either in defiance or agreement - not just because you can ... to do so is an insult to those who were killed that day and degrades the concept of it that we cherish so much.

Gotta get down to it / Soldiers are gunning us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her / And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
"Ohio"