"Remember, remember ...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... the 5th of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot."

Substitute your own words in the appropriate places in the above famous rhyme and remember:

Vote tomorrow.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... the 5th of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot."

Substitute your own words in the appropriate places in the above famous rhyme and remember:

Vote tomorrow.

Vote Today! :)

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am stuck in a Hotel Room in Olean, NY (middle of nowhere). And the hotel doesn't even have pay-per-view-p ... aahh ... adult videos.

But they do have free DVD's at the desk. And they do have 'V for Vendetta'.

Thanks for a great idea. Rather than watching exit polls announced slowly througout the evening, I will watch the best movie of the year ... and quite possibly the best movie I have ever seen. .... well, next to Star Trek, Insurrection.

Thanks for a great way to spend election eve.

TonyMac

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The folks that brought us the gunpowder plot are still hard at work today.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was going to play this game but everything I came up with ended up turning into a dirty limerick. :)

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
How'd you guys hear of that in the States? I'm assuming you don't actually have Bonfire Night on the 5th Nov? Curious...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was mentioned in history class back in grade school?

If not then I got no idea where I first learnt of Guy Fawkes, but I imagine most associate it with V, not Guy ;)

Anyways, here's the whole thing... most isn't used anymore for rather obvious reasons:
Remember, remember, the 5th of November
The Gunpowder Treason and plot ;
I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,
'Twas his intent.
To blow up the King and the Parliament.
Three score barrels of powder below.
Poor old England to overthrow.
By God's providence he was catch'd,
With a dark lantern and burning match

Holloa boys, Holloa boys, let the bells ring
Holloa boys, Holloa boys, God save the King!

Hip hip Hoorah !
Hip hip Hoorah !

A penny loaf to feed ol'Pope,
A farthing cheese to choke him.
A pint of beer to rinse it down,
A ****** of sticks to burn him.
Burn him in a tub of tar,'
Burn him like a blazing star.
Burn his body from his head,
Then we'll say: ol'Pope is dead.

Fawkes was Catholic, funny how a the rhyme started off as a condemnation of him and his religion, and now is used more to remember him as a hero...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was mentioned in history class back in grade school?

That is my recollection, too.

Although V for Vendetta IS what brought that forgotten rhyme back to memory.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How'd you guys hear of that in the States? I'm assuming you don't actually have Bonfire Night on the 5th Nov? Curious...
The comic book V for Vendetta and the recent movie of the same title is what brought that ryme into my sphere of awareness.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought the film was an outstandingly appropriate review/rebuke of our current political scaremongering in the states, with some clever equivocation between the war on terrorism and the totalitarian state he battles with.

It was a great dark film, and I watched it with a package of chocolate chip cookies and a bottle of 2002 old vine zinfandel. What an excellent evening.

D.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So a movie is how you heard of old English rhymes? *Hmmm - fair enough*...

Yep.

I am a bit embarrased to admit this, but I had never heard of the 'gunpower plot'. Although the movie makes it seem that it was a factual historical event, I never knew about it. It could have been fabricated as a plot device, for all I knew.

If you haven't seen the movie, it is worth a couple of hours of viewing.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's pretty much an historical event, well listed. That said, England in the mid 17th Century was awash with political and religious dissension. Anything could have happened back then, and it would have been twisted. It's now just an excuse to let off fireworks and have bonfires up and down the country for days before and after the 5th November. *Rolls eyes*

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's pretty much an historical event, well listed. That said, England in the mid 17th Century was awash with political and religious dissension. Anything could have happened back then, and it would have been twisted. It's now just an excuse to let off fireworks and have bonfires up and down the country for days before and after the 5th November. *Rolls eyes*
I learned about the history in jr. high and high school, but I thought your question was asking about the rhyme specifically which I first heard en totale via the comic/graphic novel series V for Vendetta.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it is a good day to break open the DVD case, and take two hours away from the madness of our world, and step into the madness of the graphic novel world of V for Vendetta.

Of course, sometimes, those two worlds look an awful lot alike, don't they?

Today is November 5th.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's now just an excuse to let off fireworks and have bonfires up and down the country for days before and after the 5th November. *Rolls eyes*

Hey, you should take a look at Cinco De Mayo :)

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Vote tomorrow.

BUMP!! :D

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very good movie and I have to add the little tidbit, did you know that the etymology for the word "guys" are people who followed Guy Fawkes?