Remember- concrete hurts!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, in my new classes which are held on very limited matting, there's a phrase sometimes used: instructor- "What are we standing on?" Class- "Concrete!" Instructor: "What happens when you fall on concrete?" Class: "It hurts!"

Well, I'm finding out that it not only hurts when you fall on it wrong, but it is leaving a bruise on the top of my foot when in seiza. Does anyone have suggestions on how to prevent this? Any good shoes out there? HELP!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I'm finding out that it not only hurts when you fall on it wrong, but it is leaving a bruise on the top of my foot when in seiza. Does anyone have suggestions on how to prevent this? Any good shoes out there? HELP!

Maybe Tough it out till your foot gets used to it? Or wrap your feet. Or Take up a collection and buy your instructor some mats. :)

Actually I took a rough throw last week, and came down VERY wrong and slammed my knee into the mat... it swelled up and turned all kinds of shades of purple, and I thanked my lucky stars we had mats in the new place... if it had been the raw floor that we used to train on, it prolly would have broken.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I remember when we trained in Japan, I found out quite quickly that "ground is hard". No mats there.

May your bruises heal quickly.:angel:

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I used to have a pair for another reason, but they got lost in a move. Luckily, another lady wears them, so I know that they're allowable.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wear steel toed boots. It'll make folks really avoid your round kicks! ;)
There is just no way I could train my style on concrete. There are so many throws and rolls that classes would be very short and very infrequent.

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is just no way I could train my style on concrete. There are so many throws and rolls that classes would be very short and very infrequent.

Well, we do have some mats for those kinds of things, but just not enough for everyone to be able to sit on them. It's still a fairly new school, though...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heh, so would a fight on the average street/sidewalk. :asian: