Reciprocity in Oregon

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It hasn't been passed, but it's looking very good. Yesterday the Sherrif's office endorsed an amendment that would recognize CCW permits from other states.

From Oregon Firearms Federation

This bill recognizes the concealed handgun licenses of all other states.

At the request of OFF, an amendment was drafted that extended that recognition to Alaska and Vermont, which allow their residents to carry concealed without a license.

As you know, this type of legislation has been introduced many times in the past and has always generated resistance from the Oregon Sheriffs.

At today's hearing, the representative of the Oregon Sheriffs stated that they no longer opposed recognizing the CHL's of other states. This is a significant breakthrough in our efforts to have Oregon join the many states that allow non-residents to be safe while visiting .

How does that work with reciprocity? The amendment would recognize all other's licenses -- but I know that many states have more of a "Partnership" setup -- would they have to add Oregon to a list of approved states, or would it automatically happen once we recognize theirs?

It would be nice to be able to travel with my CCW -- right now it's hit-and-miss which states recognize us. (Of course, I'm not going to hold my breath for CA.)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Living in the Couv, I've have to say this is ... nice.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you'd be fine in Indiana.

Good job on getting that through Oregon!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think you'd be fine in Indiana.

Good job on getting that through Oregon!

It has not passed yet, it was just introduced.

I am hopeful though, as someone who lives 30 miles from the border and regularly works in OR, it would be a nice change.

OP
T

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It has not passed yet, it was just introduced.

I am hopeful though, as someone who lives 30 miles from the border and regularly works in OR, it would be a nice change.

I know WA is pretty good about issuing out-of-state licenses to Oregonians, how are your reciprocity laws?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I know WA is pretty good about issuing out-of-state licenses to Oregonians, how are your reciprocity laws?

I don't know, I only carry a UT license because it has a far higher reciprocity.

pulled from http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Washington honors:
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Ohio
Oklahoma
North Carolina
Utah

So that pretty much sucks, most of the west is not accepted except for UT.

As for other states accepting the WA license, not many do because of the lax requirements, of the western states ID, MT, UT, and AZ accept it.​

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
"we recognize everyone's" does not equate to "reciprocity."

Missouri recognizes permits from any other state (including those with "may issue" laws like CA, NY, etc.). However, there are states that do not honor ours (mostly those with "may issue" laws...).

Even though your state recognizes their permits, that doesn't mean their state automatically recognizes yours.

OP
T

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"we recognize everyone's" does not equate to "reciprocity."

Missouri recognizes permits from any other state (including those with "may issue" laws like CA, NY, etc.). However, there are states that do not honor ours (mostly those with "may issue" laws...).

Even though your state recognizes their permits, that doesn't mean their state automatically recognizes yours.

Thanks, that's what I was asking about. Would we have to submit a request or something?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I was asking about. Would we have to submit a request or something?

In WA is apparently the job of the Attorney General to make a list of who meets the requirements. It does not say how often.

RCW 9.41.073

Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.
[2004 c 148 § 1.]

OP
T

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Never mind -- it got amended to making it easier for out-of-state applications, and even that doesn't look promising at this point.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My dream is for all states to be like Vermont and Alaska. That is, NO PERMITS NEEDED TO CARRY. If can legaly own the gun, you can pack it.

But if that won't happen, then the next best thing is for all states to be like Indiana and Missouri.

While I teach CHL classes, I feel all citizens have the right to arms. They can only loose that right when the break the law in a bad way.

Deaf

Latest Discussions