Recent issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I got my black belt in kenpo last year and I was very happy with that but the problem is since then I've been asked to teach a lot...like almost every single lesson since. Now I don't mind helping out the odd time but frankly I'm not a teacher that's not why I turn up every class. I'm there to train plain and simple and I told my instructor this before I came back and he agreed I wouldn't have to. But my main problem is there are 4 other higher dan black belts than me there but they spend their time working with each other and training leaving me and another brown belt to teach the younger students. Like I said I'm not bitching about helping out and I'm happy to if there's ever bad numbers but literally every session I'm roped into it while the higher black belts workout together and frankly I'm paying for my classes so I'm really I'm paying to teach my instructor to teach his class....I will be having a word about it because it's just making it unenjoyable. I'm not a teacher I don't enjoy that aspect I'll do it if I must but quite honestly I feel like I'm being made a mug of.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are right, you are being taken advantage of. A very direct discussion needs to happen between yourself and the owner, and in my opinion, you are owed a refund for your tuition during this time period at the very least, and back wages quite possibly.

There is often a culture in martial arts where students of a certain level begin to help with the instruction. It is seen as another aspect of their training, learning how to teach. But this can be taken too far. At the least, you should no longer be paying tuition, in exchange for teaching; or the time you spend teaching should be a distinct minority compared to the rest of your class time. This is probably a violation of labor laws. It is possible that the owner does not realize it, and you may need to educate him.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Is this the same instructor who left you hanging when the parent confronted you in the parking lot? Red flag.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you complain when you were a lower grade and the other black belts came and help you out? No probably not, so guess what, now it's your time to pay back :)

Also, teaching helps you understand techniques better, as you have to explain them to others.

Also, the higher black belts want to train too (Who'd have thought :)) and the better they get and the high up the syllabus they get the more they will understand and they will come back to you everntually as they'll be able to understand more and pass that onto you. You teaching frees us their time to do that.

Having said that though, I'm with you on the payment situation. Paying your instructor and then teaching is like paying your boss to go to work, it's taking the piss.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you complain when you were a lower grade and the other black belts came and help you out? No probably not, so guess what, now it's your time to pay back :)

Also, teaching helps you understand techniques better, as you have to explain them to others.

Also, the higher black belts want to train too (Who'd have thought :)) and the better they get and the high up the syllabus they get the more they will understand and they will come back to you everntually as they'll be able to understand more and pass that onto you. You teaching frees us their time to do that.

Having said that though, I'm with you on the payment situation. Paying your instructor and then teaching is like paying your boss to go to work, it's taking the piss.
Like I said I'll help when I need to but when there's 4 other higher ranks who aren't doing anything to help then that's just taking advantage and they already know I have no wish to teach since I already said that and it was agreed on. Teaching shouldn't be necessary for a black belt. A black belt should be about your ability and if people want to teach then fine but you shouldn't be forced into it

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Also I got my black belt in November and have been teaching ever since every single class twice a week...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a problem. Talk to the owner. If he cannot recognize the problem that this is, then you need to find a different school.

Some kind of apprenticeship program COULD be appropriate, if all parties are in agreement to the terms. Like you say, not everyone wants to teach, not everyone should teach. So being kind of forced into it, without any discussion or agreement beforehand, is simply wrong. And if you agreed to such a program, then there ought to be both a change in your fee structure, as well as some kind of constructive feedback and education that you receive in return, as you develop your teaching skills. It should not be simply a way for the owner and the more senior members to wash their hands of the teaching responsibilities.

Don't let this situation fester. You will become more and more resentful.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stop showing up regularly. Make up a work excuse. If they can't rely on you to show. They can't rely on you to teach.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another case of a martial arts school owner forcing a student to teach for free. If he can't afford to hire instructors he should get out of the business.
I'm with you Headhunter, I'm interested in training, not teaching.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think as a paying student he has every right to complain. And as a paying student, why does he need to pay back anything? He paid for a service.
He wants a place to train and he deserves to have that, without being hassled to teach instead. Those "other black belts" that were helping him along the way should have been getting paid also. This tells me a lot about this business owner.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others noted, there is a culture that every black belt wants to be and should teach, coupled with an expectation from school owners that "their" black belts should be teaching and, way too often, paying for the privilege.

There's a balance to be foybd. Some black belts are lousy class leaders. Some are okay. Some are great. Others may excel in one-on-one coaching, but not leading a class. Some just plain don't want to teach. An expectation to help those below you, to maybe lead an occasional class, or,teach as a lesson to help you understand something more deeply is one thing, but you shouldn't be paying to learn and finding yourself teaching without guidance or support from more senior black belts, either. You're there to train, not to give them a chance to work out in the corner.

Take it up politely with the chief instructor; he may not even realize how often this is happening if he isn't at every class.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It really depends on the business model and school culture. We are a very small club, and my advanced students are routinely asked to help teach their juniors. One guy had a problem with that and talked to me about it. So we scheduled some extra time for him to work exclusively with me and another advanced student. Now both are on track to take their "Primary Level" test (roughly comparable to full black belt) in three weeks.

I'd recommend finding a good time for a frank and open discussion with your teacher. Maybe you can work things out, and maybe not. :) Or, on the other hand, you can take Flying Crane's advice and inform him that he's violating labor laws (if indeed he is). See how that works out for you! My guess is that he'd tell you tho take a Flying !!!! :eek:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I got my black belt in kenpo last year and I was very happy with that but the problem is since then I've been asked to teach a lot...like almost every single lesson since. Now I don't mind helping out the odd time but frankly I'm not a teacher that's not why I turn up every class. I'm there to train plain and simple and I told my instructor this before I came back and he agreed I wouldn't have to. But my main problem is there are 4 other higher dan black belts than me there but they spend their time working with each other and training leaving me and another brown belt to teach the younger students. Like I said I'm not bitching about helping out and I'm happy to if there's ever bad numbers but literally every session I'm roped into it while the higher black belts workout together and frankly I'm paying for my classes so I'm really I'm paying to teach my instructor to teach his class....I will be having a word about it because it's just making it unenjoyable. I'm not a teacher I don't enjoy that aspect I'll do it if I must but quite honestly I feel like I'm being made a mug of.
teaching is actually good for your growth as a martial artist. It forces you to slow down and revisit techniques that you already know. Not everyone has the knowledge to teach. In your case you either have a great honor, or you are being used. I don't think that you would be teaching if you were bad at teaching.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
teaching is actually good for your growth as a martial artist. It forces you to slow down and revisit techniques that you already know. Not everyone has the knowledge to teach. In your case you either have a great honor, or you are being used. I don't think that you would be teaching if you were bad at teaching.
Yeah great but I still have 0 interest no matter how much of an honour it is or how much it's supposed to help me. It's not what I'm there to do and if I'd known I'd be asked I'd have not come back

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a problem, and I feel for your situation. And it might be a more complex problem than you realize.
If you don't want to be an instructor, sooner or later that will show up in your teaching (even if you don't want it to) And that's not good for anyone, not you, not the students who pick up on it, and not the people running the dojo.

The other problem - the students you teach.....if you become their favorite instructor, and everyone has an instructor they hope is teaching the night they drive, bus or or walk to the dojo, and suddenly you're gone, that could mess things up a bit as well.

I do wish you well in this.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think as a paying student he has every right to complain.
He shouldn’t be paying to teach, if that’s what you mean.

why does he need to pay back anything? He paid for a service.
If the higher grades help you when you are a lower grade, then you don’t; need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out when you become a higher grade it will become your turn. If you are not willing to accept that, leave and find another club. But don’t keep accepting that help until you get your black belt and THEN turn round and say you’re no going to help the lower grades. You knew the set up, you knew what would be expected of you, and you were happy to train there while it suited you.

When you are a lower grade the higher grades help you out. Hence, when you become a higher grade it becomes your turn to help the lower grades. To give something back to the system that has helped you, in order that it can continue. Also, teaching helps you understand the techniques better, as you think about them more when you have to explain them to others, this furthers your own understating and helps you become a better martial artists.

I
Those "other black belts" that were helping him along the way should have been getting paid also. .
Yes, that would be nice in the fantasy world where every club can afford to pay all its black belts a salary because the club is earning enough money to do so. It would also be nice I was taller, richer and married to Scarlett Johansson. Unfortunately the real world doesn’t work like that. :-(

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah great but I still have 0 interest no matter how much of an honour it is or how much it's supposed to help me. It's not what I'm there to do and if I'd known I'd be asked I'd have not come back
Then your choice is clear. Leave the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions