Reason for all the high kicks and ariel techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our 1st Dan test would be similar to the KKW 2nd Dan, in that we require 6 Kicho forms, 8 Palgwae and Koryo to test for Chodanbo. Those seeking KKW certification also learn the 8 Taegeuk forms.

So if I'm reading this right, to get a black belt from your school, the student has to learn 15 forms (6 Kicho + 8 Palgwae + Koryo) but if they also want a Kukkiwon certification with their 1st Dan black belt they have to learn a total of 23 forms for 1st Dan? That truly is hard core!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cirdan & Gnarlie - just making sure, you do realize that Jaeimseu is making a joke, right?

Given that one of the book titles he posted as a source was "I don't believe the story", that should have been obvious. :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cirdan & Gnarlie - just making sure, you do realize that Jaeimseu is making a joke, right?
Yes, I had taken his original post on the topic to be wicked lampoonery of Alex Gillis' 'A Killing Art', which is why I asked if he could recommend a book [emoji6]

Gillis' novel is full of equally questionable tall tales.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I had taken his original post on the topic to be wicked lampoonery of Alex Gillis' 'A Killing Art', which is why I asked if he could recommend a book [emoji6]

Gillis' novel is full of equally questionable tall tales.

Hey, Gillis didn't say it was definitely true that the old Korean masters could penetrate someone's abdomen with a spear hand and rip out their intestines. He may have thought it plausible enough to ask one of his sources (who didn't deny it) about the story, but he at least left some wiggle room regarding the veracity of that one.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

Of course he is not serious but there is a file line between joking and spreading BS sometimes. I`ve met far better martial artists than me who actually believe in these myths and unfortunately pass them on to their students as well. They turn up here too and act all offended when we don`t buy their fairytales "but master said so, don`t call him a liar!!!!!!!!"

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course he is not serious but there is a file line between joking and spreading BS sometimes. I`ve met far better martial artists than me who actually believe in these myths and unfortunately pass them on to their students as well. They turn up here too and act all offended when we don`t buy their fairytales "but master said so, don`t call him a liar!!!!!!!!"

That sounds remarkably like the circumstances that resulted in this silly thread being started. A gullible person being told a ridiculous story and not having the good sense to realize just how ridiculous the story was.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I began training in 1982, most aerial kicks done today (540's, 720's, etc.) weren't invented yet. Jump side kick, jump front kick, jump spinning hook & crescent kicks and a few others were about it, then.

Why are these aerial kicks done? They're fun to do. ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ever heard of silencers?

I own one. Like so many things, they don't work quite the way movies would make it seem.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
. A gullible person being told a ridiculous story and not having the good sense to realize just how ridiculous the story was.
My favourite is a black belt needs to visit the police station to register his body as a lethal weapon.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't read this whole thread but photon guy has got to take a little initiative and look up all this hearsay on his own. You do realize that ancient guys on horses were the equivalent of tanks, and they were armed. You're not gonna kick guys with spears, lances, and swords off a horse. You might as well impale yourself. These aren't defenseless babies riding around on horses.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got told by a cop once that having a black belt I was automatically considered a deadly weapon.
In some cases... Maybe.

It's a bit off topic here, but very basically, if you were to be involved in some sort of fight or self defense situation, being a trained fighter or martial artist could be used to suggest that either you should have been able to use less force -- or that the force you used was more significant because you "know how to hit somebody." There are other threads that have gone into this in more detail...

And that doesn't mean that you have to register your hands!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heck all the high aerial kicks are because they look pretty and yes they take some degree of coordination to do. kicking someone off a horse might be accomplished if you where jumping down at them from an advantage point of being on a rise or overhang.
now for unseeing the spear hand for penetrating the stomach that tale was always around in the 70's and 80's but no one ever knew anyone who knew anyone who had really seen it.
now how many have see someone knocked out with a 2 fingered flick of the hand to the head

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that I would use my previously registered hands to pierce the belly of the horse, disembowel him and pull the rider down from the inside.
Obvious, no?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tony, flying sidekick is no joke. [emoji6]
Agree!

If you use "flying sidekick" to jump up in the air and coming down 45 degree at your opponent's front leg knee joint with all your body weight behind, it can be a very powerful "entering strategy". A good friend of mine always likes to use it as his initial attack and close the gap. He could put his opponent in defense mode right at that moment.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's at least one system of TKD that uses a camouflage belt. Systems are free to use whatever colors they like, of course. Doing so does immediately show that they're not following the traditions of the art but are instead establishing their own traditions. Training in a non-traditional art does make one less credible when discussing traditions and their origins. I wouldn't expect someone who practices Kendo to be familiar with the traditions of Shinto Ryu Kenjutsu.

I have no idea if there was a tradition of attempting to kick horsemen off their horses in combat. Personally, I would not want to take on a good swordsman who saw me coming. If I had a chance at a distracted rider and considered it important, maybe. But I would probably just as soon try to cripple the horse. FWIW, I have never heard of mongolian ponys being trained by the Mongols to fight as Lipizzaners, but that doesn't mean it isn't so.

As to Jhoon Goo Rhee, he taught what I believe was a very traditional TKD in the mid-60s, and he had 4 levels of brown belt just before black belt. Was that traditional TKD? I don't know, but it was what he used. Of course, I can't prove that his TKD was traditional, but it seemed so to me. There was no flashiness, no questionable moves, just good solid methods to strike opponents, and careful attention to forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions