"Rant Thread Warning" Chat Boards in TKD

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have learned over the years that I'm not subtle, and when I try to be I get in trouble. As I get older, I find myself much less appreciative of cleverness in speech, and instead, value clarity and openness. If I'm irritated, I don't worry about whether it shows in my posts, if it's an honest reaction. Hiding it behind feigned courtesy is, in my opinion, insulting to everyone. If I disagree with you, I try to be specific. I appreciate the same in return.

As a result, I'm most concerned with being understood and least concerned with generating consensus or convincing anyone that I'm right (although... come on guys. Let's be honest. I'm usually right ;))

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I dont see the need for anybody on this forum to need 'self evaluation'. I hang out on many forums and I must say the people posting here seem to be very knowledgable and very polite and in general are more than happy to accept other points of view even if it differs from theirs. But in saying that, I am very open to other points of view, which is the reason I come here. I wont always agree with other points of view, but its interesting to hear others opinions on things. If I knew 'everything' then I wouldnt bother coming to forums.

I agree with you but don't you have to just chuckle in the cases of the pot calling the kettle black? It just brings to mind a vision of a foreign flick with the mouth moving and then the sound of the dubbed in funny english voice saying Ha Ha Your Kung Fu No Good!!

Checked my old messages don't pay much attention if not a PM and some person was just going off on me and then finished with you should at least learn how to spell and most of thier rant was misspelled? I thought this could be sarcasm but after watching many of thier posts they misspell all the time. Seems to be human nature to point and scream about the splinter in one mans eye while having a tree stuck in theirs. For the most part discussions here are very good and informative and the rants even the personal back and forth provide a bit of humor and respite from what can be just too serious of a day and has eliminated my need to watch Jerry Springer for the hope that out there somebody has to be more messed up than me today?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
some person was just going off on me and then finished with you should at least learn how to spell and most of thier rant was misspelled?
It is much easier to make spelling mistakes when ranting. One of the many reasons that I say that nothing good comes from rant threads.

Daniel

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is much easier to make spelling mistakes when ranting. One of the many reasons that I say that nothing good comes from rant threads.

Daniel

Outside of rants I think many people myself included have a life and see something want to comment and have just a minute to type and run making typos and in some cases not thinking out what they are going to say first? They would probably consider something different if waiting till later?

One thing for sure what I am finding interesting is no matter how serious the subject or comments in this new technology age of social media including TV everthing has a shelf life of minutes, hours, days at best and just fades away.

Rants can also be therapeutic for the person making the rant it alows them to vent and feal they have had their fair access to personal justice regardless of facts or what anyother person thinks? However I am not sure how healthy that is for our society in general? does this promote more violence over time?

Maybe it is good for like minded people to console themselve that the person ranting is an idiot and we are all taking the higher ground to rational thought and moral supremacy? Birds of a feather so to speak?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Outside of rants I think many people myself included have a life and see something want to comment and have just a minute to type and run making typos and in some cases not thinking out what they are going to say first? They would probably consider something different if waiting till later?

One thing for sure what I am finding interesting is no matter how serious the subject or comments in this new technology age of social media including TV everthing has a shelf life of minutes, hours, days at best and just fades away.

Rants can also be therapeutic for the person making the rant it alows them to vent and feal they have had their fair access to personal justice regardless of facts or what anyother person thinks? However I am not sure how healthy that is for our society in general? does this promote more violence over time?

Maybe it is good for like minded people to console themselve that the person ranting is an idiot and we are all taking the higher ground to rational thought and moral supremacy? Birds of a feather so to speak?
I won't opine on how ranting affects society. Only that rant threads tend to produce more of the behavior that initiated the rant.

Daniel

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, I think we should all be self evaluating regularly. Particularly in an online format. That said, I don't think that Terry needs to do so any more than anyone else here, myself included.

I wasn't thinking about Terry but rather the people he was commenting on.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are not self evaluating you are not growing. This holds true in life, martial arts and forum posting.

But some people aren't interested in growing. Some seem to be interested in blaming others for their situation, not realizing that they are where they are due to circumstances of their own making. It's like a cigarette smoker complaining about and blaming cigarette manufacturers for getting lung cancer. When you point out that it was their choice, you get labeled "evil". :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But some people aren't interested in growing. Some seem to be interested in blaming others for their situation, not realizing that they are where they are due to circumstances of their own making. It's like a cigarette smoker complaining about and blaming cigarette manufacturers for getting lung cancer. When you point out that it was their choice, you get labeled "evil". :)

You know you are right people just do not believe they need to be wrong, man I have been married for over twenty years and my wife has told me once I was right. So I know I am wrong alot and need to be improving everyday..

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know you are right people just do not believe they need to be wrong, man I have been married for over twenty years and my wife has told me once I was right. So I know I am wrong alot and need to be improving everyday..
You got to be right once?! In only 20 years! What's the secret?

(Or did you just agree with her often enough?)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've been married for over 17 years myself. My wife knows that everything I say is correct and wise. She worships me.

And if you believe that, I have some really nice property in the swamps of Florida to sell you. :D

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just cant understand why people who think they are always right would bother visiting forums. Forums are a great learning experience. I have learnt much from guys like terry, daniel sullivan, steve bjj, Manny and the list goes on. I have taken what Ive learnt and even incorporated it into my training or minset which in turn has influenced people I train with. If I was always right, then Id know everything and would have no need to waste my time visiting places like these. The secret is in reading enough posts from different people so you can work out which are knowledgable and which are just full of it. Once this is worked out, its a great learning curve.

Latest Discussions