Rank titles in Kenpo?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I think maybe it was the peanuts ripening.

OP
R

Ronin

Judo is what u make bagels out of. only you could think that one up

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by vincefuess

At the time SGM Parker was "assembling" these various aspects of the art, it was important to him give the training sort of a collegiate atmosphere. This served the purpose of seperating AK from the traditional oriental (as it was called then) martial arts in it's methods, as well as add a certain degree of "scholarly class" so they wouldn't be perceived as a bunch of ***-kicking ruffians.

Around this same time, wearing the school patch on the breast of a smart looking sport coat was also the chic, lending a certain air of "fraternity" or "exclusive club" effect. Look at the old pics from the late 60s- anybody who was anybody wore these suits and ties with the "crest-breast" thing.

It was all part of elevating *** kicking to a scholarly and dignified level.

I can remember wearing a Blazer with the Crest on it, meeting Mrs Parker and some of the family off the plane in Jersey, Europe. That was in the early 90's.

I think these days, people go for the jackets with their name and crest on the back. Probably because we don't dress smartly as much as in the "old days"

Les

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great String guys!!!
:asian:

Thanks for the brief history Dennis, it makes it clearer in my head ... and I was around then. UKS was formed initially with Mr. Speakman and Mr. Hawkins before some business dispute forced a separation and Mr. Speakman and John Sepuveda getting together.

After Larry Tatum left, Bryan Hawkins managed the West LA school, that was part of my reason for going with them, besides I had seen him teach and done seminars that rocked.

I am glad some of the controversy is dying down now and people are getting on with teaching the Art. There are different things emphasized as different instructors have different interest, strengths, or relationships with Mr. Parker.

Excellent post "They Call Me Bruce??"

Keep it Real,
-Michael

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

I have a joke for you.

A hillbilly was sitting naked on his porch whittling with a dull knife when it slipped and cut off his penis.

The penis looked up at him and said, "Man, I know we've had some fist fights but I never thought you'd pull a knife on me."

:rofl:

Duuuude!!!!:shrug:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in the school I train at, anyone who is teaching a class is addressed as Mr. or Ms., whether they're a black belt or not. The reasoning being that they are in front of the class and you are in the class because they know something you don't, and you need to respect that, and appreciate that they are willing to share. As a brown belt, I teach some classes, and when I'm teaching people address me as Ms. when I'm not teaching I get called by my first name. black belts, however, when in the studio, are always addressed as Mr. or Ms., whether they're teaching or not. Outside the studio, its up to them. I have some instructors that insist on first names outside the school, and some that prefer Mr. or Ms. all the time. We don't really hold with the fancy titles. I think I've only heard my instructor addressed by a title once or twice in the nine years I've trained with him.

OP
T

tonbo

Our school works very similarly to Nightingale's. Black ranks and instructors (identified by a red gi top) are called "Mr.", "Mrs.", or "Ms.", accordingly. When taking class, all students are referred to by their first names. Outside of class, when in street clothes, the students still call the instructors and Black Belts by "Mr.", "Mrs.", or "Ms.".....but that's just the way it's always been.

My head instructor actually wants people to call him by his first name when they are on a friendly basis with him. I am, and I still can't bring myself to do it....;)....same goes with the higher rank Black Belts.....can't call them anything but by their "social" titles (Mr, Mrs, etc.).

I have read of the advanced titles, but have never actually seen them in practice. I don't disagree with them, but just haven't seen them used.

Peace--

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hehe. I know what you mean...

my sparring instructor for about two years and I became good friends. he told me a million times to call him John, but it took me a few months to get used to it. now when I see him in the studio, I have to remind myself to call him Mr. instead of by his first name. he'd laugh it off, but if my head instructor heard it, I'd be doing push-ups for a year because brown belts ought to know better. LOL.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed,

Mr and Mrs or Ms. isn't a bad way to address everyone in a studio. That way there is a general respect that travels across the board.

jb:asian:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonbo

[

My head instructor actually wants people to call him by his first name when they are on a friendly basis with him. I am, and I still can't bring myself to do it....;)....same goes with the higher rank Black Belts.....can't call them anything but by their "social" titles (Mr, Mrs, etc.).

Peace-- [/B]

At a camp recently I met a 6th Degree, whom I have been in contact with by e-mail for some time.
The very first words he said to me were; "Hi, call me Derek"

Then I introduced him to the Orange belt student who was with me. So he said; "Hi, Call me Derek" My student was stunned.

Les

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Les

At a camp recently I met a 6th Degree, whom I have been in contact with by e-mail for some time.
The very first words he said to me were; "Hi, call me Derek"

Then I introduced him to the Orange belt student who was with me. So he said; "Hi, Call me Derek" My student was stunned.

Les

Is this really that big of a deal? My assumption would be that eveyone would give everyone a common level of respect. I agree with calling instructors Mr & Mrs, but I don't think that is that big of a deal. Maybe I've just been exposed to the system for so long that the pecking order feels very natural. As long as respect is given to instructor and student everything is cool.

jb

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo

Is this really that big of a deal?

jb [/B]

Actually Jason, it's not a big deal for me. Perhaps I didn't express myself properly, but for my Orange belt student, it was a big deal.

He hasn't been with me long, and is still tuned to the formalities of his previous school. (Perhaps they are more formal than me)

Think back to when you were an Orange belt, how would you have reacted then?

Really, I was just making a comment. No big deal.

Les

"When you drink the water, remember the spring from which it came" Paul Mills

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Larry Tatum wrote an article on the rank titles that appeared in (I believe) Black Belt Magazine. I have the article (with his permission) posted on my website.

Dave

Latest Discussions