Ramsay Dewey and karate "blocks"

Discussion in 'Karate' started by 333kenshin, Apr 1, 2021.

1. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Yeah but for people who train karate blocks and then say they are really grab defences or something. It means at some point karate guts were not blocking anything.

2. Buka

Buka Sr. Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I always loved folks who didn't block anything. So much fun to compete against!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

To be fair, 'blocking' in the sense that you swing your arm to knock away a punch with your forearm really only leads to a bruised face most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Paul Calugaru

Paul Calugaru White Belt

There is a lot to what you wrote..

Recently, Ive been training at a Dojo that is very kata orientated. (I’m a Sandan in my old style) The sensei is a Rokudan and is very knowledgable on the style... but lacks skill and knowledge in practical bunkai... kumite skills/prowess seems to be there..(I think... not sure... until I sparr against that person I will not know for certain)

The sensei admits on their short comings on practical karate/bunkai/self defense... and wants to train more of it... seems to be using me as a catalyst for change!

Last night I got “Why hasn’t anyone taught us this!” From Dans no less...after showing them some joint locks from a kata they were doing.

At one point... they were questioning a mae kaketo geri done with kekomi (a front thrust kick done with the heel) I was demonstrating it usage by attacking the sternum with hikite and without.. also showed attacking the thigh breaking my opponents stance with the kick.

They thought I was doing a front snap kick wrong.... huh? what? After explaining that all karate has a front thrust kick! I got “We only have a front snap kick”. Which I replied “ ok... do the keketo geri with keage” (do the heel kick with snapping technique.) I got the reply. “No you only do a mae geri keage with the ball of the foot”.). .

these are dans... yikes!
    Normally... I would have bolted long ago, but the sensei understands the wrongs done by the previous sensei, and they all are very respectful, honest and admit they don’t know bunkai or self defense. Many after I show them bunkai (throws, joint locks, etc ) get mad at the fact they have been practicing for decades and no one has shown them practical bunkai.... I’m talking basic stuff... when I showed them how to use Gedan Bari to break both hands grabbed by an opponent... many went... “what was that!!!!?”

A part of me says.. they own their ignorance, don’t blame the sensei... or the sensei before. Imo ..., They got what they got, because they equated learning kata as prowess.

Imo if someone is serious about their karate, their eyes should be wide open, and their cup empty, (mind is!)

Karate prowess should be as functional as possible.

Yes many don’t know what they don’t know though...

5. Paul Calugaru

Paul Calugaru White Belt

Z

6. isshinryuronin

isshinryuronin Black Belt

When I put on my cup, it is anything but empty! :joyful:123

• Like Like x 1