Racist Cop or Combative Professor?

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not assuming anything. You assume things about me based on labelling me a 'leftist'. You assume I think Gates can't be racist. I never said he couldn't be one (as a matter of fact I said the opposite), I said he isn't one. The difference is pretty big.
The thing is that in every thread you have expressed leftist opinions. You are the king of assumptions. You assume that because I'm not prepared to let Gates skate on his behaviour that I have no historical insight into the plight of blacks. I think he's a race bater and has a dislike for white cops in particular, that's why he's a racist.

In the '90s there was a situation in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) where white landowners were being butchered and their lands taken from them by indigenous blacks and the government did nothing. The landowners adopted their Kommando mentality once again, to stop these murderous cretins. Now, if one of those white land owners came to the US on asylum and said "I hate blacks" to me, I would consider him racist, but I would understand the historical significance of his racism.

The same applies to Gates, I get it, black people have been enslaved in the past, they have been downtrodden. Some of their ancestors originally came here as a result of being bought into slavery. That's all terrible. It's not, however an excuse for Gates to behave like child in the throws of a tantrum. He messed up and I just wish the cops hadn't of caved and dropped the charges. He's an elitist who in my opinion, thinks that his position in the university and friendship with Obama makes him somehow immune from the consequences of disturbing the peace.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh Empty, I'll gladly drop you off in urban LA, in an area of my choosing and when I see you again, listen to your happy stories of the friendships you made. Let's do it.....please.

I already live here you goofball. And I already have black friends. Just wondering...does all that racial resentment hurt? At the very least, I think your blood pressure might be elevated.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sgt. Crowley attempted to de-escalate in a couple of ways. He asked Dr. Gates to step outside, into a more neutral environment.

Or because he knew that he would have grounds to arrest if Gates was being "tumultuous" in public. You're just assuming good intentions. That's part of what bothers some people about the defense of Crowley. His word is taken as gospel; Gates' is discounted. Even though the competing words of these two individuals are all we have to go on.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So you give an example of what I should do to prove your point, I explain that I've have been there and done that and it doesn't prove your point, so you resort to condescension to undermine my stance. Nice. Can you point me to the post where I said a victim of assault shouldn't be angry at being assaulted? Oh, wait, no you can't. Assuming again are we?
You sarcastically made comments about the black panthers and other hateful gangs, that lead me to believe that you sympathize with them. Btw, I apologize for being condescending, but it just fits when I'm sparring with you. It's like the proverbial rear scoop kick to the groin that you can't evade and although it doesn't knock you out, it pisses you off.
icon12.gif

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I already live here you goofball..
Sorry mate, on your profile it says you're in Tarzana. Maybe your business is there. The last time I went there, was to the Machado Academy and throughout the whole area I never saw one black person (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or maybe Tiger Woods and Chris Rock were playing golf at the time). Who knows? My.... there is some nice real estate out in your neck of the woods.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's no safer person in Compton than a white person. The gangs know you aren't a member...and don't want to shoot their customers. The independents don't want to bring the heat down on them.

Most of the crime victims in the "bad areas" are the residents - the minorities.
Really thats how it is on the West coast?

I know here in Miami you will get robbed and your face stomped if you walk into certain neighborhood.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny, that's what every racist I ever met says.

Oops, you caught me. Tricky!

Sorry mate, on your profile it says you're in Tarzana. Maybe your business is there. The last time I went there, was to the Machado Academy and throughout the whole area I never saw one black person (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or maybe Tiger Woods and Chris Rock were playing golf at the time). Who knows? My.... there is some nice real estate out in your neck of the woods.

North or south of the 101? South yes, North...not so much. There are plenty of black people here, but by and large it's the Latino gangs that cause the problems. Same in Van Nuys or the north side of Woodland Hills. The graffiti gets annoying. Still, in 6 years I've never had a problem. By and large, if you leave them alone, they leave you alone.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The thing is that in every thread you have expressed leftist opinions. You are the king of assumptions. You assume that because I'm not prepared to let Gates skate on his behaviour that I have no historical insight into the plight of blacks.
The only question I have is why you are prepared to let Crowley skate on his behavior while pursuing your points against Gates with the tenacity of a pitbull? To my knowledge, no one is suggesting Gates acted well or rationally. Omar empathized with him, but that's about it. Yet, you continue to turn every response into a race related, anti-Gates response, even when asked about Crowley's behavior. You don't see the double standard?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really thats how it is on the West coast?

I know here in Miami you will get robbed and your face stomped if you walk into certain neighborhood.

Well, I never said it was safe, just safer than being a minority. Most of the victims of the gangs and other criminals around here are other gang members or bystanders living in the area. I've been through Crenshaw, Watts/Compton, whatever the ******** around USC is called, and similar. Never had a problem. I was more terrified to go to a movie theatre in Baltimore.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You sarcastically made comments about the black panthers and other hateful gangs, that lead me to believe that you sympathize with them. Btw, I apologize for being condescending, but it just fits when I'm sparring with you. It's like the proverbial rear scoop kick to the groin that you can't evade and although it doesn't knock you out, it pisses you off.
icon12.gif
There it is. That's the crux of it right there. This isn't a discussion with you. In your mind, it's sparring. It's like the lightbulb went off. You aren't discussing things. You're reading with the intent to rebut. It's a mock battle. Maybe that's why I've been beating my head against the wall. Here I thought we were trying to explain our points of view and perhaps come to some kind of understanding, and all the while you've been reading the posts looking only for a means to refute the points and further your own agenda.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only question I have is why you are prepared to let Crowley skate on his behavior while pursuing your points against Gates with the tenacity of a pitbull?

Gates-gate (ha!) is like a reactionary hot fudge sundae with crack and hookers sprinkled on top. It's completely irresistible. In one fell swoop, a reactionary can target:

1) Defending the police.
2) Criticizing a liberal.
3) Criticizing a black man, and get to call him the "real racist" to boot.
4) Criticizing an "elite Harvard intellectual".
5) Criticize the President, combining elements of 2-4 irrespective of all actual evidence and reason, and get to decide it makes him incompetent too.

All those political resentments and flash points get combined in one tasty package. If only welfare cheats and the French could be worked in, the perfect storm of wingnuttery would be complete. Thus, a relatively minor affair gets blown into a massive Event that has consumed the news cycle for going on two weeks now.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gates-gate (ha!) is like a reactionary hot fudge sundae with crack and hookers sprinkled on top. It's completely irresistible. In one fell swoop, a reactionary can target:

1) Defending the police.
5) Criticize the President, combining elements of 2-4 irrespective of all actual evidence and reason, and get to decide it makes him incompetent too.

All those political resentments and flash points get combined in one tasty package. If only welfare cheats and the French could be worked in, the perfect storm of wingnuttery would be complete. Thus, a relatively minor affair gets blown into a massive Event that has consumed the news cycle for going on two weeks now.

That's not really an argument, that's a not-so-clever punt.

I'd point out what you're attempting in one fell swoop but it's obvious and would get redundant. ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Or because he knew that he would have grounds to arrest if Gates was being "tumultuous" in public. You're just assuming good intentions. That's part of what bothers some people about the defense of Crowley. His word is taken as gospel; Gates' is discounted. Even though the competing words of these two individuals are all we have to go on.
LOL. I thought the same thing. "Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only question I have is why you are prepared to let Crowley skate on his behavior while pursuing your points against Gates with the tenacity of a pitbull? To my knowledge, no one is suggesting Gates acted well or rationally. Omar empathized with him, but that's about it. Yet, you continue to turn every response into a race related, anti-Gates response, even when asked about Crowley's behavior. You don't see the double standard?

Because other officers present, of various races, AND different agencies, have backed Crowley's account of the events, and stated that his actions were justified by the situation. They were there....you weren't.....nor was the President.

Now you can fall back on the 'Cops lie for each other' argument, but that would just reveal the core of a bias in your argument if you did so.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

1) Defending the police.

Can we work in some pro-gun rhetoric? ;)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Now, actually he has numerous witnesses, including the original caller, who backs her versions of events, as well some audio of the event.......You have Skippy 'The White Man is the Devil' Gates and wishful thinking......i'll take the side that DOESN'T have as it's sole witness an avowed racist. ;)

LAMB: At one point you had a line in there, something to the effect, "My mother despised white people."

GATES: My mother hated white people.

LAMB: All her life?

GATES: Probably. I didn't know until -- in 1959 we were watching Mike Wallace's documentary called "The Hate that Hate Produced." It was about the Nation of Islam and I couldn't believe -- I mean, Malcolm X was talking about the white man was the devil and standing up in white people's faces and telling them off. It was great.

Latest Discussions