Racism in Australia?

OP
Thems Fighting Words
Reaction score
Please tell him not to let one incident like that riot dissuade him from moving here , it was a disgrace , but it was an abberation . Things like that rarely happen here.

There are many chinese people and other asian people living here who love it and are making a good life for their families. And if he's into Kung Fu tell him to come to Sydney , we have many Sifu's from Hong Kong here from a plethora of different styles .

Only thing is the price of living here is expensive compared to the other states.

Agree entirely. Though if he likes Tong Long, he should come up to Brisbane. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Please tell him not to let one incident like that riot dissuade him from moving here , it was a disgrace , but it was an abberation . Things like that rarely happen here.

There are many chinese people and other asian people living here who love it and are making a good life for their families. And if he's into Kung Fu tell him to come to Sydney , we have many Sifu's from Hong Kong here from a plethora of different styles .

Only thing is the price of living here is expensive compared to the other states.

Thanks but he is not moving at all now he is staying put. He looked around a bit and has thought about the US but he has decided he is better off where he is for the moment.

Also he is not into Kung Fu and thinks I'm martial arts crazy, if he was into CMA however where he lives is loaded with it, if I were moving for Kung Fu I'd move to his house :D

Actually he is into skiing, Hockey, Golf, Tennis, etc.

OP
Thems Fighting Words
Reaction score
Well I may not consider Australia overly racist but it seems that the Indians do. INDIA has called in Australia's top diplomat in New Delhi to express its concerns about a series of attacks on Indian students in Melbourne.

Which has had Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has moving to reassure New Delhi that Australia isn't a racist nation.

Very troubling considering how much money oversees students make for Australia. A couple of years back it was Pauline Hanson making overseas students uneasy and now this.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Victoria we have over 100,000 overseas students of whom 40,000 are Indian. I am not sure that the violence against the Indian students is greater than violence in the general community but it certainly is receiving a lot more media attention.
There is some ethnic violence which is more based on demographics than racism, but in the main it is limited to certain areas where the are large numbers of new immigrants.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I've read it seems that the Indian students have a lot of part time jobs , which means that they are travelling on the trains at odd hours.
This makes them easy prey for the low life thugs that are targeting them , what needs to happen is the security on the trains and stations need to be increased dramatically .

Do any of you remember the Guardian Angels ?
One of my instructors was in that , and they used to patrol the trains in Sydney. I don't remember what happened to them does any one know why they stopped ?
I suspect that the powers that be might have been embarassed that they were doing their job for them and shut them down.

Maybe its time for the Guardian Angels to reform , since it looks like the government and the police aren't up to the job. It would be a legal mine field though , what powers would such a group have ? If any , except maybe monitor a situation or a citizens arrest.

I don't know , damn it , just put a few teams of huge Maori , Tongan and Samoan security guards on the trains , that'll sort the bastards out .

breeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From what I've read it seems that the Indian students have a lot of part time jobs , which means that they are travelling on the trains at odd hours.
This makes them easy prey for the low life thugs that are targeting them , what needs to happen is the security on the trains and stations need to be increased dramatically .

One of my instructors was in that , and they used to patrol the trains in Sydney. I don't remember what happened to them does any one know why they stopped ?
I suspect that the powers that be might have been embarassed that they were doing their job for them and shut them down.

Maybe its time for the Guardian Angels to reform , since it looks like the government and the police aren't up to the job. It would be a legal mine field though , what powers would such a group have ? If any , except maybe monitor a situation or a citizens arrest.

I don't know , damn it , just put a few teams of huge Maori , Tongan and Samoan security guards on the trains , that'll sort the bastards out .

Totally agree with everything you've said thus far.

My experience with racism in Australia is that the Ethnic communities dish out more than they take these days. When "Anglo" Australians call an ethnic a "Wog", it is usually in jest and light hearted, although it does still occur.

On the other hand, my friend at his school gets bashed because he is a 'skip dog', I have been targeted myself at parties and such, not because they didn't like the look of me, because I'm an 'Aussie'.

Some of these people have an utter hatred for Australia and everything Australian and it disgusts me that the majority of it is the youth who were born here.

Walking home about 2 months ago, I was approached by 4-5 Ethnic youths. I am 16, these guys were about my age, maybe a little bit older, but only one was of a big build. I copped a "Watd you say to my cousin", I kept walking away. I then copped "Don't turn your back to me you Aussie dog". I turned around, I didn't give a **** if I would get bashed, I'm not going to stand there and take that. He tried to grab me by the shirt and I proceeded to dislocate his elbow, which left all his mates angry, but not willing to get their arms broken.

Two of my best friends are of Lebanese decent, another of Macedonian, another is Serbijan, and another is Bosnian. We all get along just fine and they always express to me their hatred for the racist 'pieces of ****', that are these ethnic youths. The majority of my friends weren't even born here, yet they speak without an accent and assimilate in Australian culture quite well.

Of course "Anglo"s dish out racism, but from my experience it is nothing as compared to the ethnic community.

Thoughts?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't give a **** if I would get bashed, I'm not going to stand there and take that. He tried to grab me by the shirt and I proceeded to dislocate his elbow, which left all his mates angry, but not willing to get their arms broken.

First off I must say. :highfive: :cheers:

That showed a helluva lot balls mate to what you did .
Confronted with potential multiple assailants like that.
I agree with everything you said mate , but this issue gets me fired up .
If your not proud to call yourself Australian then get out of the joint.

So I don't really want to comment any further on it suffice to say that my Grandfather when he was crawling through the mud in the jungles of New Guinea fighting the Japanese tooth and nail , for the freedoms that we now enjoy today in this Great Southern Land .

He probably never ever envisaged that some day it would turn out like this.
He'd be rolling over in his grave.

Stay safe brother , while your out and about , try to avoid if you can.
Sometimes its better to make a retreat against superior forces and live to fight again another day.

breeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I don't really want to comment any further on it suffice to say that my Grandfather when he was crawling through the mud in the jungles of New Guinea fighting the Japanese tooth and nail , for the freedoms that we now enjoy today in this Great Southern Land .

Thats what gets me so fired up, people that fought for this land, to give us our freedom that we now enjoy, would be so upset that people we have welcomed to our country now express such hatred.

OP
Thems Fighting Words
Reaction score

Indians themselves have realized that their travel habits are putting them in danger and have formed their own version of "Guardian Angels". Police are not impressed as per this article.

Latest Discussions