Question

OP
hong kong fooey

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
no I am not a new student to martial arts. I have been taking taekwondo for about 2 years and I am not new to sparring I sparr in my TAE KWON DO class. but I have only been in JONG HAP MU SOOL (which is a Korean martial art) for about 9 months and have only been sparring there for about 3 months. and its totally different then my sparring in TAE KWON DO

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
hong kong fooey said:
no I am not a new student to martial arts. I have been taking taekwondo for about 2 years and I am not new to sparring I sparr in my TAE KWON DO class. but I have only been in JONG HAP MU SOOL (which is a Korean martial art) for about 9 months and have only been sparring there for about 3 months. and its totally different then my sparring in TAE KWON DO

What is different about it? I tried looking up Jong Hap Mu Sool, but I got buried in korean sites. Tell us about the style, I don't know anything about it, how is the sparring different?

Lamont

Pheonix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with shesulsa and with hong kong fooy. He came he for advice not to be tormented while trying to find it. I know how degrading it is when people do that kind of thing, because I used to be the person everyone picked on.

Some of you are saying that just because he is not a beginner that its okay to give your advice like this, but I say to you this. What if a begginer came on to the forum looking for the same advice and found this tormenting, would he still want advice? Would he want to be a part of martial arts and be associated with these kinds of people? I just want to ask, do you act like this inside your dojang?

Farang
Adam

OP
hong kong fooey

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.jonghapmusool.com/index.html

here is a link

The Art of Jong Hap Mu Sool

The meaning of the words "Jong Hap Mu Sool" is "combining all martial arts."
JHMS_kr_plain.gif

JONG HAP - To combine, harmony.
MU SOOL - Martial arts.
JHMS is a system of fighting designed as an adaption of many styles to become useful in modern times. Martial arts were never intended to become stagnant or fixed and without change. The idea was to constantly upgrade and improve in order to always have the best and most effective fighting system currently available. JHMS is a system of self-defense based on fundamental offensive and defensive techniques. These techniques can be classified as follows:
JHMS_logo_bw.gif

1. Standing/Free-Moving
  2. Standing Clinch/Takedowns
  3. Ground Fighting
  4. These categories include joint locking, striking, punching, kicking, throwing, falling and wrestling techniques, providing a well rounded fighting method. JHMS is based on the theory of circular movements as opposed to direct encounter. Direct impact may cause injury and may be unsuccessful against greater power. Jong Hap Mu Sool's circular actions require less energy, but much knowlege and skill

OP
hong kong fooey

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
the sparring class is different then my TAE KWON DO class but not much. in my TAE KWON DO class we spar but we pratice soft side blocking which is blocking with the soft part of your arm to the soft part of the leg. and it's no contact sparring. in JONG HAP MU SOOL it's full contact and we don't pratice soft side blocking much

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
hong kong fooey said:
the sparring class is different then my TAE KWON DO class but not much. in my TAE KWON DO class we spar but we pratice soft side blocking which is blocking with the soft part of your arm to the soft part of the leg. and it's no contact sparring. in JONG HAP MU SOOL it's full contact and we don't pratice soft side blocking much

In my experience, full contact is a better attribute builder than no-contact sparring. If I were in your shoes, I would spend more time in the JHMS sparring class than in your TKD sparring class. The lessons learned in full-contact MAY translate back to no-contact, but the reverse is generally not true.

Lamont

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess if you're brand spanking new to martial arts, it's ok to ask questions. I'm sure the newbies (or anyone else for that matter) out there don't want to be afraid to ask any question at all, but won't for fear of being flamed over something so little. This sort of thing will hurt us as Martial Artists, and it has in the past. How do you treat those who first set foot in your door? Do you heckle them over any question they have, irregardless of experience? Sorry for the rant, guys.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
I guess if you're brand spanking new to martial arts, it's ok to ask questions. I'm sure the newbies (or anyone else for that matter) out there don't want to be afraid to ask any question at all, but won't for fear of being flamed over something so little. This sort of thing will hurt us as Martial Artists, and it has in the past. How do you treat those who first set foot in your door? Do you heckle them over any question they have, irregardless of experience? Sorry for the rant, guys.

I certainly don't heckle every beginner, but not every response needs to couched in touchy-feely-no-hurt-feelings language. I'll use this case as an example (sorry hong kong phoeey), arts include sparring for a reason. Asking not to is sort of like asking your driving instructor if its ok not to shift into third gear because you are pretty content in first and second.
In our school, if an upper belt asks a truly stupid question, he should expect (at least) good-natured heckling (which is how I took Fast Learners post). We are far kinder with newbies.

Lamont

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My understanding is that it is a common error to state that full contact sparring is absolutely necessary for self-defense training.

Kuk Sa Nim gave great advice and I still stand that you should discuss things with your instructors - both of them.

The learning process needs to be taken into account here which I think many people just think "sink or swim" methodology as being the most effective training tool are missing the mark of responsible instruction.

My .02

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hong kong fooey,

My post was intended to be light-hearted and with a sense of humor. I am truly sorry if you did not take it that way, and were offended.

As I stated in my post:
Last Fearner said:
Now, I apologize if my response seems too harsh or a bit sarcastic, but I just watched American Idol tonight, and I think some of Simon's behavior is rubbing off on me. :rolleyes:

After the humorous needling was done, I attempted to rephrase my advice in a more serious light:

Last Fearner said:
Seriously, hong kong fooey, I mean this with the best of intentions. Make some changes in your focus, and your training schedule, but please don't be too picky about what the instructor teaches you. You have much to learn, and gain from the experience.

As to your final comment:
hong kong fooey said:
and yes you did offend me some of the things you said in the post were disrespectfull to me next time think before you post!

I do think before I post. In fact, I checked your profile an noted your age and rank. Nothing I said was meant to be disrespectful, and I don't believe it was. If you were, indeed, offended, then you interpreted my comments in a different way then they were intended. If newer students view this and think it is offensive, then they should consider the context as being directed to an advanced adult student. I don't believe you were "flamed" here by me, but received a direct, and open response with a little humor. It is unfortunate that the humor was taken the wrong way. For this, again, I apologize

However, I am a Master Instructor, and with this I take some liberties to address a student in a manner that, I believe, is what they need to hear at that point in time. If I use humor, sarcasm, or just plain straight talk, then that is how I convey the message to that particular individual. You, or anyone else could choose to be offended by what I wrote before, or what I am writing now, but I am finding it difficult to see one sentence in my earlier post that is truly mean, spiteful, or disrespectful if taken with a little humor (as noted), and a smile on your face! :)

All I can say is, I am sorry for the misunderstanding . . . now lighten up and smile! :uhyeah:

Best regards
CM D. J. Eisenhart

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hong Kong Phooey, what steps did your instructor take before you started full-contact sparring?

I think full-contact sparring is an absolute essential part of Korean Martial Arts. But I also think that you don't do a "sink or swim" routine on your students-contact must be gradually increased and sparring should be taught progressively. There are things to be learned from giving and receiving full-contact shots.

Miles

Pheonix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with miles, I can't expect a white belt (I know your not) who has been in only a couple of weeks to jump in to full contact sparing and know even somewhat what to do. I remember when I started TKD I started with no contact sparring, then after a few weeks I was light contact no pad sparring, and after about a month of that I was thrown into the ring with a couple of other white belts. It was a very nerve racking first fight but I managed to hold my own for a little while.

But at the same time I would also say that you should talk with your instructor and if he wants you to continue then trust him to know what you are and will be capable of.

Farang

Latest Discussions