Question

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I j have started to train in Sparring in my martial arts class and I don't really like it that much.

sparring is not really my thing but I wanted to try it out. well I want to discontinue my training in sparring but Im not sure how to explain it to my instructer. he is very much for sparring what should I do?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you thought about telling your instructor how you feel and ask if there's anything you can do to get motivated to spar?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe there are drills that are more controlled than sparring, but are a step in that direction. Perhaps you are just not mentally ready to jump into sparring yet. Would a stepping stone or two in between help, until you gain some confidence?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would gather my thoughts about specifically what bothers me about it and then have an open and honest discussion with the instructor. A good instructor should be able to understand your issues and give you some helpful suggestions and options.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring isn't for everyone. Personally, I love it but that doesn't mean you should. More people in my school would rather leave it than take it. If it's something that you are required to do, then focus on those things you get out of it. If it's not required and you aren't realizing the benefits of it, stop. I doubt your instructor would consider that "unique".

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hong kong fooey,

What don't you like about sparring?

I remember how ackward it felt when I did it the first time, and since I can't go very often, it still feels ackward. At the same time it is a challenge that I enjoy.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
hong kong fooey said:
I j have started to train in Sparring in my martial arts class and I don't really like it that much.

sparring is not really my thing but I wanted to try it out. well I want to discontinue my training in sparring but Im not sure how to explain it to my instructer. he is very much for sparring what should I do?

As the saying goes; you don't have to like it, you just have to do it. You will never be a good practitioner without learning the lessons that are only to be found in sparring.

Lamont

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

It sounds like you are possibly getting into heavy type of sparring much too soon. Sparring is a very important component of training, as it is the only way to truly figure out how to begin to use certain skills against an uncooperative opponent. This is the only way to develop timing, distancing, strategy and a host of several other very important attributes. Don’t give up so soon.

The whole point of sparring is not for "fighting", or "winning", but rather for helping each other develop comfort and fluency in applying certain aspects of the art (such as, Stand Up, Grappling or Weapons), in a spontaneous and ever increasingly uncooperative environment. But this must be a progressive process.

If you are new to sparring, make sure that your partners know this. If they are better than you, they should work with you to develop YOUR skills, not to use you to "win", or anything else. Once your skills begin to match up, then you can turn up the heat, and really start challenging each other. In this way it’s a win-win situation, and lots of fun.

That is the way it should be. You need to start real slow, and see your offense develop, right in hand with your defense.

In the beginning you will not be able to recognize anything that your partners throw at you. Or why your attack didn't work. It's all a blur. Later, you will begin to recognize what just hit you, or what stopped you and why. Even more later, you will begin to be able to recognize and have the answers for their offense as well as their defense.

Like all of martial arts, this is just a process. Embrace and enjoy it. I would definitely recommend you have a conversation with your instructor so your goals for sparring are clear. Are they for entering a competition, or just for expanding your self defense skills? Or both? Either way make it clear, and make a plan for success. Also invest in some good protective sparring gear. Communication and respect. Those are the keys.

Good luck,

With brotherhood,
GM De Alba

OP
hong kong fooey

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
here are a couple of reasons on why DOC. thanks for asking

1. my heart is not really into Sparring so I feel that I am wasting my instructers time and my own

2. I am not as good as everybody else. (not that really matters)

3. I already go to class 3 days a week this makes it 4 days and I am starting to get burned out. I went from one class a week to four. I go to JONG HAP MU SOOL on TUESDAYS THURSDAYS and FRIDAYS. and I take TAE KWON DOE on WENDSDAYS!

4. I don't really have the drive for the class

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
here are a couple of reasons on why DOC. thanks for asking

1. my heart is not really into Sparring so I feel that I am wasting my instructers time and my own

2. I am not as good as everybody else. (not that really matters)

3. I already go to class 3 days a week this makes it 4 days and I am starting to get burned out. I went from one class a week to four. I go to JONG HAP MU SOOL on TUESDAYS THURSDAYS and FRIDAYS. and I take TAE KWON DOE on WENDSDAYS!

Are you in martial arts for self-defense? If not, then don't worry about missing sparring, apparently you aren't planning on using your training to defend yourself.

Lamont

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Are you in martial arts for self-defense? If not, then don't worry about missing sparring, apparently you aren't planning on using your training to defend yourself.

Lamont
Got some strong feelings about sparring there, do ya Lamont?

OP
hong kong fooey

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
now I never said I never wanted to defend myself. all I was saying is that I am having trouble with the class and was thinking about droping the class I am stilll taking the other classes. the Sparring class I am taking is somthing you would use for like tournaments

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hong kong fooey said:

sparring is not really my thing.... I want to discontinue my training in sparring but Im not sure how to explain it to my instructer.... what should I do?

First, you should go tell your instructor you want to "discontinue your training in sparring." After he gets done rolling on the floor laughing, :lol2: you can tell him how difficult it is for you. :waah:

Although, you might have to wait in line behind your fellow students. One is there to tell your instructor he doesn't like to do forms, another wants to discontinue stretching, another one would rather not do one-step sparring, and one Black Belt refuses to "kihap." :vu:

How does the song go? "Hold the sparring, hold the kihaps. Special training don't upset us. All we ask is that you let us teach it your way!" :karate:

hong kong fooey said:

First, I suggest you stop taking "TAE KWON DOE," and start taking Taekwondo (sorry, I had to) :rolleyes: . Next, I suggest you decide what school, and what instructor you want to learn from, and dedicate yourself to that training program, and that teacher. Get focused! One week of training could be 2 or 3 classes, at the same school, which would include sparring sometimes. If you are getting burned out, you're doing too much at too many schools, or with too many instructors.

hong kong fooey said:

You're an adult, and you are not a beginner student. After you get focused on one training program, get motivated, and find the drive! :whip:

Now, I appologize if my response seems too harsh or a bit sarcastic, but I just watched American Idol tonight, and I think some of Simon's behavior is rubbing off on me. :rolleyes:

Seriously, hong kong fooey, I mean this with the best of intentions. Make some changes in your focus, and your training schedule, but please don't be too picky about what the instructor teaches you. You have much to learn, and gain from the experience, as GM De Alba so aptly pointed out.

What does not kill you, only serves to make you stronger!
Best regards,
CM D. J. Eisenhart

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Got some strong feelings about sparring there, do ya Lamont?

Just a bit. :D

Look, I'm not always enthusiastic about putting on the gloves every week, but you just have to go out and do it. After all, if I skipped all I would lose is technique, timing, footwork, cardio, anaerobic fitness, observation skills, and the guts to keep going when it hurt. Thats all....

OP
hong kong fooey

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have thought about this a lot and have decided that maybe if I continue

with the training I mught start to like it. im not one to just give up thanks

for all the support.

OP
hong kong fooey

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
First, you should go tell your instructor you want to "discontinue your training in sparring." After he gets done rolling on the floor laughing, :lol2: you can tell him how difficult it is for you. :waah:

Although, you might have to wait in line behind your fellow students. One is there to tell your instructor he doesn't like to do forms, another wants to discontinue stretching, another one would rather not do one-step sparring, and one Black Belt refuses to "kihap." :vu:

How does the song go? "Hold the sparring, hold the kihaps. Special training don't upset us. All we ask is that you let us teach it your way!" :karate:

First, I suggest you stop taking "TAE KWON DOE," and start taking Taekwondo (sorry, I had to) :rolleyes: . Next, I suggest you decide what school, and what instructor you want to learn from, and dedicate yourself to that training program, and that teacher. Get focused! One week of training could be 2 or 3 classes, at the same school, which would include sparring sometimes. If you are getting burned out, you're doing too much at too many schools, or with too many instructors.

You're an adult, and you are not a beginner student. After you get focused on one training program, get motivated, and find the drive! :whip:

Now, I appologize if my response seems too harsh or a bit sarcastic, but I just watched American Idol tonight, and I think some of Simon's behavior is rubbing off on me. :rolleyes:

Seriously, hong kong fooey, I mean this with the best of intentions. Make some changes in your focus, and your training schedule, but please don't be too picky about what the instructor teaches you. You have much to learn, and gain from the experience, as GM De Alba so aptly pointed out.

What does not kill you, only serves to make you stronger!
Best regards,
CM D. J. Eisenhart
Last Fearner

I never said the class was to hard for me did I ? the class is not hard I just don't have the class in my heart therefore I feel that I am wasting my time and my instructers time.

and how does the saying go if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything right?

and yes you did offend me some of the things you said in the post were disrespectfull to me next time think before you post!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
hong kong fooey said:
and how does the saying go if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything right?

and yes you did offend me some of the things you said in the post were disrespectfull to me next time think before you post!

Did you want advice, or someone to hold your hand? He gave you good advice that addressed everything you asked about or commented on.

Lamont

OP
hong kong fooey

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I want advice. but he did not have to say some of the things he said. like the part about my instructer laughing at me. that kind of stuff. yes he did give me advice and I thank him for that. I just wanted to let him know that he had offended me thats all. :c)

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gentlemen, this fairly new student comes here to ask your advice and a couple of you have chastised him.

There are other ways of motivating people.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Gentlemen, this fairly new student comes here to ask your advice and a couple of you have chastised him.

There are other ways of motivating people.

According to his profile he has been training two years, according to another post he is a belt between a green and a brown, making him at least an intermediate-level in my eyes. If he was a 14 year old beginner I may have moderated my reply.

I have to say the my knee-jerk reaction to his question was along the lines of Fast Learners post.

Lamont

Latest Discussions