Question on a command

cay22

White Belt
Reaction score
I am sure I am not spelling these correctly but I will try and explain the best I can. When you finish a form the instructor says "Baro" and you turn and go into "Joonbi" (the position you start in). Then the instructor says "Shio" which I believe means "at ease". Here is my question, when they say "Shio" do you just go back to arms at sides standing straight or do you also bow? We used to "Charyut" or attention stance and then bow and wait for the instructor to say "adjust" but now they are changing it to going into an attention stance with no bow when they say "Shio" at the end of the form. Just wondered what others did. It is ChungDoKwan if that makes a difference. I am guessing schools will all do it differently.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont know the definition of the command, but I know that answers vary a bit. Most of the time, it means At Ease, or Relax - As opposed to being Ready, or in a Ready Stance.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was taught that it means at-ease or relax. At both charyot and joon-bi, you are motionless and your attention is on the instructor. At shiut/shio, you are relaxed and can move in place. To use a military parallel, charyot is attention, joon-bi is like parade rest, and shiut/shio is at-ease. Of course, the right answer is to obey the instructions of your instructor...so if the rules are different where you are, you should adapt.

Carl

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I went to lessons for 3 years before I read here a couple months ago that "shio" mean relax. No one ever told me! I always thought it meant nothing, except exhale, like "hah!" at the beginning means "I'm pumped and ready for action!". That's the downside of being non-Korean in TKD: words don't mean a whole lot.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sure I am not spelling these correctly but I will try and explain the best I can. When you finish a form the instructor says "Baro" and you turn and go into "Joonbi" (the position you start in). Then the instructor says "Shio" which I believe means "at ease". Here is my question, when they say "Shio" do you just go back to arms at sides standing straight or do you also bow? We used to "Charyut" or attention stance and then bow and wait for the instructor to say "adjust" but now they are changing it to going into an attention stance with no bow when they say "Shio" at the end of the form. Just wondered what others did. It is ChungDoKwan if that makes a difference. I am guessing schools will all do it differently.

On "shio" we return to a parallel stance (feet a shoulder width apart) but instead of the hands in front like Joonbi, they are clasped behind your back at waist level.

Pax,

Chris

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think your procedure will be dictated more by custom and practice than literal or colloquial / customary translations.
But here goes. (What we are taught.)

Joonbi means ready. There are lots of ready stances. The one you use is dictated by the pattern / exercise.

Baro means "Return" . You return to a certain posture. Which one is again dictated by the pattern or exercise. Saying Joonbi after a pattern or exercise would not be correct because you would be returning to a posture. Since you were fiunished you would not be "Ready" for something else.

Shio menas "At ease" The at ease position would be dictated by custom or practice.

You say you are Chung Do Kwan. What patterns do you practice? What organization are you part of.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Joonbi means ready. There are lots of ready stances. The one you use is dictated by the pattern / exercise.

Baro means "Return" . You return to a certain posture. Which one is again dictated by the pattern or exercise. Saying Joonbi after a pattern or exercise would not be correct because you would be returning to a posture. Since you were fiunished you would not be "Ready" for something else.

Shio menas "At ease" The at ease position would be dictated by custom or practice.

Yep, except that the exact translation for 'Baro' would be 'same'. After completing a Poomse it means to return to the stance that you did in the beginning of the Poomse, so everybody gets back to the 'same' point/stance.

Baro is the opposite of Pandae (which means opposite).
Momtong Baro Jirugi for example is a middle section punch on the 'same' side as the rear leg.
While Momtong Pandae Jirugi is a middle section punch on the 'opposite' side of the rear leg.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
the same. Shio means at ease or relax, however both feet must be like in chombie but hand relaxed at the back.

Manny

OP
C

cay22

White Belt
Reaction score
You say you are Chung Do Kwan. What patterns do you practice? What organization are you part of.

My studio is part of the US Chung Do Kwan Association run by the Sells. We do the Taegeuk forms. I figured everywhere would be a little different, I was just curious. Thanks all!

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shio (or shiut, depending) means at ease. We bow and say "Thank you, sir/ma'am" on the infrequent times we hear it. :)

Latest Discussions