Question for Instructors

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many times has somone come to your Dojaang with a high ranking belt and could not perform any techniques at all. Now I understand if you been out for a while and you need to get back in shape, that's one thing. I mean when they say they train at so and so school but are unable to do anything right not even a basic roundhouse do you honor there belt or have them start over. GOD BLESS AMERICA

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If they are as bad as you suggest, I would have them start over. Generally, they would have too many bad habits for me to work with without having to start over again.
One thing I really hate doing is having to work around the damage done by an incompetent instructor. Better to start over so I can get them doing things the way I want them to from the beginning.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If the style or teaching method differs significantly than what is originally known, or if there are habits/movements that need adjusting, then starting over is the way to go.

- Ceicei

M

Mark Weiser

Well a refresher course is called for we call it starting over LOL!!

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Gennerally what I have found to work the best is to allow them to retain their rank, and then we have them understand that, in our style, they must learn all the material that others of equal rank had to learn. This, of course, is similar to starting over, however, they just remain at that level until they have progressed.

When we do it this way, we don't allow them to dwell on "their old style" and focus them on "in this style, we're going to do it this way." If it is that big of a deal to them, they are more than welcome to leave and return to their former school.

Remember...if they left their former school... it was for a good reason. Chances are they'll stick with it and probably work even harder because you allowed them to keep their rank.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
XxTKDPenguinxX said:
Gennerally what I have found to work the best is to allow them to retain their rank, and then we have them understand that, in our style, they must learn all the material that others of equal rank had to learn. This, of course, is similar to starting over, however, they just remain at that level until they have progressed.

When we do it this way, we don't allow them to dwell on "their old style" and focus them on "in this style, we're going to do it this way." If it is that big of a deal to them, they are more than welcome to leave and return to their former school.

Remember...if they left their former school... it was for a good reason. Chances are they'll stick with it and probably work even harder because you allowed them to keep their rank.
Thanks nice approach

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
XxTKDPenguinxX said:

I left taekwondo at high brown. When I go back to training in it - which won't be for a while - I really would prefer to start over at white belt. Reason? I don't feel that my original tkd training was what it should have been - that it was 'dumbed down'. In this particular case, I'd feel I was getting more out of it by starting from square one. One of my friends went on to another tkd school (as a fairly new black belt). Her new master told her he was honoring her black belt, but she left after two months or so because she felt that the yellow belts there knew more than she did.

Thoughts? Thank you. KT

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

The whole concept and idea of retaining rank should be a decision made between student and instructor, with the instructor having the ultimate say over it.
Maybe a small testing, one on one, to observe the techniques? Or do as Tiger said and start over because that is what was best suited... or at least it was for Tiger.

Heck... everyone is going to be different. What my first post said may not always work. It is just what "I" have done. I am sure I will offend another with it in the future :; shrugs :: can't make everyone happy.

T

Tkang_TKD

I'm not an instructor, but we had a situation of a person coming back after a long layoff recently.

Basically, my instructor had the gentleman start off at white belt, but allowed him to train up to the forms/requirments of his ranking when he had left. After a few months, my instructor tested him for his next higher rank (he was a high red when he left, and tested for low brown). Anyway, my instructor allowed him to progress at his own pace to get caught back up, and back into shape for training.

He was a previous student under my instructors GM, so he really only had to relearn the same skills he already had before.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
When a new student with previous training comes into the school I encourage them to wear their rank. I give them the option of starting over, but most don't do that.

More often than not they don't know nearly as much as our students. They then feel woefully inadequate and unworthy of their belt, in spite of our support and encouragement.

It usually takes them a very long time to get to an acceptable level. Those that stick it out end up doing well.

Regards,

Steve

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never walked into a bew club with my rank.

If asked,I will give my background and let whatever happens....happen.
I was raised and taught that it was very rude and presumptious(sp?)
just to assume an authoritative position without being recognised by the instructor first.
So I go in as a white belt when I enter a new school......
but thats just me

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Tkang_TKD said:
Basically, my instructor had the gentleman start off at white belt, but allowed him to train up to the forms/requirments of his ranking when he had left. After a few months, my instructor tested him for his next higher rank (he was a high red when he left, and tested for low brown). Anyway, my instructor allowed him to progress at his own pace to get caught back up, and back into shape for training.QUOTE]

THat's probably the best way, I think. The gentleman would/does have the skills... just needs some time to prepare. Nice idea.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
I've never walked into a bew club with my rank.

If asked,I will give my background and let whatever happens....happen.
I was raised and taught that it was very rude and presumptious(sp?)
just to assume an authoritative position without being recognised by the instructor first.
So I go in as a white belt when I enter a new school......
but thats just me
I am of the same opinion, Belts are relevant to where you got them, especially if it is a different style you are going into.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not an instructor, but I believe they should start over, unless their previous style is very close to the new one.

I started in TSD. I moved to NY and started in TKD as a white belt. Not because I sucked, but because the styles were different. If I kept my blue belt, I would have to learn all the new forms, one steps, ect and tweek a few techniques all up to that level. I did advance faster, though. Even then, it was kinda tough to play "catch-up."

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terry, if you were to keep him at for instance a blue belt rank or black belt rank and he could not perform the basics correctly, not high, but not a proper front kick or a side kick with toes down, or stances, etc., I think that says alot about his training. If they came from a reputable school, you would think that these habits are engrained despite a level of fitness or strength. If they have been out, that long ago, that they cannot do basics they should start over. Think of it from the viewpoint of a blue belt who has trained a couple of years, and sees another-a high blue belt comes in but cannot do anything right. I think he could stay a blue belt until all the previous requirements of yours are met starting with white belt requirements but that may be a difficult way to teach and for him to learn. Or if he doesn't want to look like he isn't progressing (even though he is) in front of everyone else, just to start over. After all its 3-4 year program and it would be hard to see where he was at and he might have a hard time knowing what he had to do to accomplish the next level. TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not an instructor....but....

i think that peope feel more obligated to honor someone's rank if they're a black belt or above...i also think it depends on which style your switching too...obviously, a black belt in taekwondo shouldn't expect to join a judo club and be able to wear a black belt...i'd ask for proof of certification....what's to say someone didn't just do a year of tkd, bought a black belt and switched schools...and if the technique is really bad...i'd ask them to start over...let them know that they'll be progressing faster due to their previous experience...but that they aren't up to the standard of their rank in your school...if they leave...they leave...sometimes you gotta stand firm...

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Umm... is it a bad sign when you're at work and start thinking about this thread?:uhyeah:

This is a great question, and now that I have thought more deeply about it, I guess I would have to say that... NO, someone should not retain their rank, provided that the style of Martial Art is different enough to form a challenge. By this I mean; if I am a TKD trained person and am looking to study Karate, or Jeet Kune Do, or some form of kung-fu... Then I should be required to start from the beginning and thus be forced to follow that school's progression...no head starts or jumping ranks, etc.
Now, should I have moved from one style of TKD to another, then I feel that I should speak it over, in detail with the instructors. Allow a chance for my techniques to be seen. See where I fall in to it all.
Should I be returning from a long period? I would not unless I was allowed to keep my present rank. I worked hard for what I have, and if I'm that much into it, then I would be willing to work harder to prove that I earned my present rank.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
XxTKDPenguinxX said:
Umm... is it a bad sign when you're at work and start thinking about this thread?:uhyeah:

This is a great question, and now that I have thought more deeply about it, I guess I would have to say that... NO, someone should not retain their rank, provided that the style of Martial Art is different enough to form a challenge. By this I mean; if I am a TKD trained person and am looking to study Karate, or Jeet Kune Do, or some form of kung-fu... Then I should be required to start from the beginning and thus be forced to follow that school's progression...no head starts or jumping ranks, etc.

Better yet, you make more money by doublecharging the ever humble students on their testing fees. Win-win.

O

OlympicTKD

terryl965 said:
How many times has somone come to your Dojaang with a high ranking belt and could not perform any techniques at all. Now I understand if you been out for a while and you need to get back in shape, that's one thing. I mean when they say they train at so and so school but are unable to do anything right not even a basic roundhouse do you honor there belt or have them start over. GOD BLESS AMERICA

It comes down to what you value more. A person's dedication and commitment to their style, vs. their technical ability. I personally believe that a person's character is 100x more important than their technical ability. I could care less if they have any talent. (As far as not being able to do a round house kick, that's sad. But maybe he/she has some kind of injury or disability that prevents them from kicking properly.) Bottom line, whatever their rank, I respect it for what it's worth to me. I don't value rank very highly. Again, a person's charchter and who they really are is far more important than good kicks or techniques.

J

jakmak52

terryl965 said:
Have 'em start over.

Latest Discussions