Quadracep muscles

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shesulsa,

Got the same graft as you, and I'm about two months out.

There is some swelling and stiffness, but the thigh muscles are coming back. I have to be veeery careful, as I tend to do stupid things when I get to feeling better.

I almost blew it in Washington a couple of weeks ago. This kid was setting me up to pick my pocket (did a pat check of my back pocket), and I was looking at him over my shoulder as I exited the train. Hit a slick spot and almost went down. I lit it up a bit, but nothing serious. Oh...and the kid didn't go for the wallet.

I also got cellulitis a week after the surgery, which put me down for a week longer than anticipated. That stuff hurts.

Other than that, all is well.

I'd post pictures of my leg with the staples and all, but people would probably get grossed out by the bruising, and Bob would yell at me or something.

Regards,

Steve

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I slipped a couple of times too - ouch! Gets yer heart a-poundin' when you just slapped down a good 10 grand plus on reconstruction surgery, doesn't it?

I was told to plan for a year's time for full recovery. I did my PT, I did a lot of stuff except for standed twisting and really learned how to turn from my hip. I felt really good after about 6 months, by my surgeon told me to keep my training reigned in for another 5 to 6 months. So my jumping jacks were one-legged, my kicks were all with my surgery leg and very gentle - all kicks I did with my other leg were all standing kicks, no reverse kicks and all mostly for accuracy than power.

I slowly added weight to my leg in jumping jacks starting at about 10 months. I'm good to go for 100+ jacks now.

A good friend of mine who is a big soccer player had three ACL reconstructions - two on the same leg, of course. After her first surgery, she went back full boar in 6 months because it felt so much better. She ripped it out again and had to have it reconstructed a second time. So she really got on me about holding my return to full training back for the whole year.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We could also point out that the vastus internus region of the quadriceps is often found to be underdeveloped in women and the imbalance between the vastus internus and the vastus externus often leads to structural imbalance and stress on the female knee. Generally, one could say the sartorius is also likely weak as well.

This is often the result of the "Keep your legs together" law women live by. Rather than using the adductors, it is easier to tip the pelvis back, thus increasing the lordic curve of the lumbar spine (swayback) and squeezing the knees together.

So many damaging things can happen with this misalignment.

Women can increase the strength of the sartorius and vastus internus by doing single-leg dips. In dance, it's more like a plie on one leg - but be sure the spine is straight - tuck the pelvis back into place. And when you sit and need to keep your legs together, focus on keeping the thighs together, not the knees so much. This will engage your adductors, gluteal muscles and your interior hams.

Just a suggestion.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good advice. I'll keep it in mind.

One of the reasons I think they hold you back is because they want the patellar tendon to heal. If that things rips out, you're in trouble. They can fix it, but I've heard from a cop who had it done that it isn't the same again.

Debbi Purcell, the NHB fighter, blew out her graft about three months out. She went to watch a match and started horseplaying with a friend. Had to have it done alllll over again.

I went nuts from the immobility. I didn't get bored...I got restless. I also spent a lot of time on MT, as many might have noted.

Regards,

Steve

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She-Sulsa I found that to be the case for me as well. The inner quad just doesn't get worked hard enough. I started to incorporate a cross leg extension (lack of a better term) at least that's what I call it. Basically like a thrusting sweep kick but with an anklet attached to a cable. Since I don't have the adductor machine or abductor then I must improvise. This morning's session was a leg workout where I put squats and leg presses together but then inbetween the leg extension and leg curl I would use this cross leg extension. It seems to fit well there. My right knee especially hurts right on the inner lower part (don't know the proper term) and this movement helps my knee not hurt knee as bad.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I currently don't have access to a gym nor a weight-resistance machine of any kind, so I try to use posturing and weight-bearing exercises to do what I need. Sounds like you have a good improvisation, though.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Good advice. I'll keep it in mind.

One of the reasons I think they hold you back is because they want the patellar tendon to heal. If that things rips out, you're in trouble. They can fix it, but I've heard from a cop who had it done that it isn't the same again.
Yes - that and the fact that the graft doesn't grow it's own blood supply until the latter part of the first year (around 7-10 months). Then the graft can mature and function the way it's intended and can draw nutrients as needed to do so.

hardheadjarhead said:
I went nuts from the immobility. I didn't get bored...I got restless. I also spent a lot of time on MT, as many might have noted.
And thank goodness you did! You're an intelligent guy and I always learn from your posts. Thank you!

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Since I don't have the adductor machine or abductor then I must improvise.
I honestly have never gotten the results I desired from those machines. I was much more pleased with the results posturing gave, really.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Had ACL reconstruction about 6 yrs back. Took a little over a year to get back, so of it was a confidence issue. Looking back I should have had the injury operated on yrs ago!

In addition to kicking routines I do ton of body weight exercises. Step ups, Lunges , Squats (keeping the weight on the heel, to work the quads and not damage the knee) Hindu Squats and stance exercises
Take your time coming back, and take glusasanim

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Squat heavy. Bring a bucket for hurl, and a gallon of water to keep your fluid pressures level as the blood drains to the larger muscles under construction.:)

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tend to stay with 'closed chain' and multiple joint/'compound' exercises like the squats that KK is referring to in his post. The idea is to emphasis balance in the development of the lower body unit or symetry. I know too many people who have over trained quads or calves only to get blown out knees, torn hammies or shin splits because of the imbalance.

I have played around with 'pre-exhaustion' and 'core sequencing' for different purposes, but either way it is really about balancing and organizing your lower body exercises well.

Lately, I have been taking this "Body Flex" class (similiar to a Reabok "Pump" class) which is set up like a group free wt class. It seems to appeal more towards women (so I kind of feel out of place, but oh well) but it is GREAT and I highly recommend it to anyone out there. Order of exercises, form, tempo... all reinforced by a certified instructor. I knew the instructor from teaching and she asked me how I liked the class. I told her that every guy in the free wt. room should take at least one to emphasis form and solid movement over 'plate slinging'....

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
...Squats (keeping the weight on the heel, to work the quads and not damage the knee) Hindu Squats and stance exercises
I really like to use a smith machine for my squats. Instead of using the free weight barbell it tore my knee up. By using the smith machine I bring my feet to shoulder width or a little less (12" or less) as well as move my feet slightly more forward. It has worked well for me and also keeps the quads under stress the entire time. This morning I was told they purchased an abductor/adductor machine. I'll give that a try and see how it works.

G

gumo9

Hey, I've had ACL reconstruction too... maybe we should start our own club !!!

There's some really good workout suggestions here as well but no one has montioned using a stability ball yet for exercising the quads - you can do some really good work with this piece of equipment and improve your core muscles in the process.

The imbalances between the inner and outer muscles of the quads (vastus lateralis and vastus medialis) are quite common for people who do loads of squats and is known as Painful Patella Syndrome or Chondromalacia Patella.

This is because the outer muscle (vastus lateralis) naturally develops quicker than the inner muscle (vastus medialis) thereby causing tracking problems with the good ol' kneecap. To correct this, do leg extensions using the upper 30 degrees of your range of movement as this is where vastus medialis kicks in. This should therefore balance up the muscles and correct the tracking of the knee.

seeya

Graham
Manchester, UK

Latest Discussions