Q an A

G

GouRonin

Not all American Kenpoists are stagnent. I was a seminar a while ago where they were discussing Zach Whitson's "Counter Point theory. I was very impressed.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you'll be doing any jumping like if you were in TKD.

Unless your instructor did some TKD and wants to incorporate some of the kicks into it.

:asian:

Dominic Jones

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Dennis

The "H" in for example B1aH. Do you for the last move-

1. do a lead outward hand palm heel to the shoulder to keep the opponent in check?

2. Do you do an lead hand, inward palm heel to the face?

Cheers Dominic.

PS. Thank you for your detailed answers:)

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dominic Jones
Hi Dennis
The "H" in for example B1aH.
Do you for the last move-
1. do a lead outward hand palm heel to the shoulder to keep the
opponent in check?
2. Do you do an lead hand, inward palm heel to the face?
Cheers Dominic.PS. Thank you for your detailed answers:)

Neither, I use a left inward (fingers out - horizontal) Heel Palm Jab to the body as my base technique. You could use it to the face, but if you did B1a you have already hit the face once...... so we try to vary targets.

R

RCastillo

What is a "simple" definition of Kenpo for those that are unfamiliar with it as you try to explain it to them?:asian:

R

Rob_Broad

I was going to ask why is the sky blue, but I already know that answer. So my question is very simple what is more important to a practioner, Balance or Power? I already think I have the answer for this but I would love to see what some others think.

R

RCastillo

I would go with Balance. It would seem we would all have a certain degree of power. Some more, due to their mass and how they apply it. Others, based on their finnese(hope that's spelled right)will be able to generate it differently?

I would think, that if a person is Balanced, they will be able to use their attributes in a way that best fits them, and get the most out of it. One may also say that if that was true, we would be incomplete, but can we really be the "complete" artist/practitioner?

Anyway, Thanks for listening!

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
What is more important to a practioner, Balance or Power?

A practitioner needs both! However, if I were to choose one before the other it would be to develop Balance. For without "Balance" you will always have limited power.

Good Balance is a product of practice and proper body alignment. When your body is aligned properly it is able to function (with time and practice) at maximum proficiency. Power will become automatic if desired and focused upon when good balance is not constantly interrupting your movements.

Ricardo...... one flight feather!!

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

I was going to ask why is the sky blue, but I already know that answer. So my question is very simple what is more important to a practioner, Balance or Power? I already think I have the answer for this but I would love to see what some others think.

Interesting inquiry- they work together and independently. If you look at power as being typed by 3 (intermittent, dynamic, and passive) passive doesn't require balance but (depending on circumstance) may rely heavily on- say momentum and the impact of strike to restore balance. Balance with rotation gets power... I don't teach power. Accuracy is more important than raw power along with timing. Power is too far down the list to compare with balance and real power is a cummulative effect anyways.

:D

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
What is a "simple" definition of Kenpo for those that are unfamiliar with it as you try to explain it to them?:asian:

I say ......... Kenpo is a modern American System of the Martial Arts Developed by Ed Parker using Logic and practicality as it applies to today's society, rather than the historical traditional approach.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig

Literature in motion.

What ??? You must want me to get jumped on by a bunch of gang members if you want me to tell them that!:eek:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

A practitioner needs both! However, if I were to choose one before the other it would be to develop Balance. For without "Balance" you will always have limited power.

Good Balance is a product of practice and proper body alignment. When your body is aligned properly it is able to function (with time and practice) at maximum proficiency. Power will become automatic if desired and focused upon when good balance is not constantly interrupting your movements.

Ricardo...... one flight feather!!

Cool, but I keep gaining a feather, then, losing a feather. Let's start negotiating here so I can keep what I earn! :confused:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have an idea for you. Don't let Mr.Conatser take them back from you.:D
Jason Farnsworth

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth

I have an idea for you. Don't let Mr.Conatser take them back from you.:D
Jason Farnsworth

I don't fare very well running into giant Linebackers from The Cardinals!:eek:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr.C. hit me pretty hard one time. I could tell that there was a whole lot more left on it as he was teaching the technique, not really looking at me and discussing it with the rest of the class. YIKES. I'm just a little guy too. I guess I need to do some more weight lifting.
Jason Farnsworth

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth

Mr.C. hit me pretty hard one time. I could tell that there was a whole lot more left on it as he was teaching the technique, not really looking at me and discussing it with the rest of the class. YIKES. I'm just a little guy too. I guess I need to do some more weight lifting.
Jason Farnsworth

Yep, he hit me at camp back in October, right in the throat, had trouble eating lunch that day! But, I forced myself to do it:eek:

W

WilliamTLear

Mr. Conatser wouldn't hit you in the throat unless he meant it... well... uh... er... lets not assume that he meant it anyway.

Laughing Out Loud,
Billy Lear
:fart:

Latest Discussions