Q an A

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jbkenpo

Mr. Castillo,

You mentioned on your site that you were introduced to the Tracy's in 1976. How far did you get? I noticed you got your Black in 3 years (1993-1996) from Mr. Tracy in Kentucky, how was that experience?

jb:asian:

The first time, I got to Purple, them moved away, and was unable to find in any Kenpo in my new locale.

The second time I got back into it, I pretty much had to relearn nearly all the stuff again. The testing under Master Al was a pleasant expereince, about 3 hours straight. Luckily for me, I was so pumped, that I had few problems, if any. :asian:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Mr. Tracy fell asleep ........
:)

No way, he watched me like a Hawk! And I was so awesome that the Golden One would've stood up and clapped for me!:boing2:

R

RCastillo

It's been said that all styles have weaknesses, what weakness does Kenpo have?

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
It's been said that all styles have weaknesses, what weakness does Kenpo have?

I believe one of the weaknesses of Kenpo is that the current updates have not been available to everybody over a period of time so we have many different ideas from different eras that all boil down to good Kenpo at that time...... however Ed Parker was one to always want to "keep current", but many left at various stages of the evolution and thus have missed out on much of his newer developments and adjustments. Today - slowly but surely many are realizing this and updating their material when they find good information.

:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

I am the "Rodney Dangerfield" of Kenpo, no respect!:(

I'm sorry Mr. Castillo. I have much respect for you. Since Mr. C brought you to camp, you must be most worthy of my respect and I assure you that you have it.

But aside from bashing on TKD (as I explained in another thread somewhere), bashing on Tracy Kenpo :shrug: is the next natural inclination of a trash-talking Kenpo student. Probably for reasons similar to what I described in the TKD post.

Oops. You study TKD and Tracy Kenpo. Man. I don't know how to get out of this one. :eek:

Seriously, I was very glad to meet you, sir and you seemed very nice and if you were not of high quality I don't think Mr. C would have brought you to camp. I'll try to earn a "feather" or something from you before October. I hope you are coming back. I take it this was the forum you and Mr. C were referring to when you said that you had "met" on the web? Many respects.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by cdhall

I'm sorry Mr. Castillo. I have much respect for you. Since Mr. C brought you to camp, you must be most worthy of my respect and I assure you that you have it.

But aside from bashing on TKD (as I explained in another thread somewhere), bashing on Tracy Kenpo :shrug: is the next natural inclination of a trash-talking Kenpo student. Probably for reasons similar to what I described in the TKD post.

Oops. You study TKD and Tracy Kenpo. Man. I don't know how to get out of this one. :eek:

Seriously, I was very glad to meet you, sir and you seemed very nice and if you were not of high quality I don't think Mr. C would have brought you to camp. I'll try to earn a "feather" or something from you before October. I hope you are coming back. I take it this was the forum you and Mr. C were referring to when you said that you had "met" on the web? Many respects.

Thanks for your support, compliments. I hope to come back to the next one. I hope to have a few feathers myself from DC when October comes around!:asian:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will be off the air for a while due to my body being transplanted to Las Vegas for Speakmans Kenpo Camp this weekend.

But Monday I will be back on the air.

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sir, I am having a little trouble understanding the contour concept of threading.

Do you use the contour of your opponent's joint as a guide for your weapon to hit its target.. I.e. if your opponent has his arm partially chambered so that you use his elbow joint to guide a punch to the target.. doesn't seem plausible...

or

Do you use your own joint as the point of contact as you are guiding your natural weapon to its target? i.e. Your assailant grabs your lapel and you place your elbow on his arm and keep contact to guide your hand to his temple.

or

Is it something else. If so, what?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Turner Sir, I am having a little trouble understanding the contour concept of threading.

Do you use the contour of your opponent's joint as a guide for your weapon to hit its target.. I.e. if your opponent has his arm partially chambered so that you use his elbow joint to guide a punch to the target.. doesn't seem plausible...

or

Do you use your own joint as the point of contact as you are guiding your natural weapon to its target? i.e. Your assailant grabs your lapel and you place your elbow on his arm and keep contact to guide your hand to his temple.

or

Is it something else. If so, what?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Either

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Much appreciated, I guess I wasn't all that confused.

... now for one that really does confuse me...

The EPAK secret codes, rKtsKB5aP et. all.(Freestyle Techniques) I work with codes for a living but even with Infinate Insights vol. 5 explaining it, it's beyond me. I'm hoping it is just difficult because I'm making it difficult, but having it worded differently might help.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Turner

Much appreciated, I guess I wasn't all that confused.

... now for one that really does confuse me...

The EPAK secret codes, rKtsKB5aP et. all.(Freestyle Techniques) I work with codes for a living but even with Infinate Insights vol. 5 explaining it, it's beyond me. I'm hoping it is just difficult because I'm making it difficult, but having it worded differently might help.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

These look confusing but are actually easy....... the ones you have above are out of the Purple Belt group

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV

Our Awesome System [EPAK if taught correctly] first teaches us all the basics to motion, then teaches the awareness of your body actions and how to control them, then examines potential attacks and conditions of today's environment and offers a multitude of possible responses to form a knowledge base from which to logically draw from if ever a physical encounter occurs.

All "connections" or discoveries, parallels, tips, unique, interesting points, tweaks, and so on are there to either be taught or ran upon........ You have to ask yourself a question..... was this system this way by ACCIDENT OR DESIGN? My answer is that ....... there is WAYYYYYYYYYY to much stuff that puzzles together for it to be by accident...... no go hunt and find!

From there it's all yours baby!

Mr C and I have discussed jsut this pretty extensively. I learned so much form it that I decided to ude it as a teaching tool. Last night I had my students (mostly upper belts) break up into groups of 2 or 3 and pick any one of the yellow belt techniques (except Captured Twigs or Sword and Hammer) and tear it apart and analyze it. I gave them half an hour with it and then we discussed and disected it as a group. I think they were amazed at how little they actually understood the techniques until we did this.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. The difference between:
a. Hopping
b. Jumping
c. Leaping

Leaping - Is it one foot leaving the floor, then the other; one lands, then the other as in Leaping Crane?

Hopping - Is it akin to a skip? Only one foot has contact with the floor, and you "hop" on it only; as in the gauging hop in Hopping Crane?

Jumping - Both feel leave the floor simultaneously and both land simultaneously? I get to this one by process of elimination only.

I have never been "taught" the difference, of course this is probably my own fault due to my not asking the right people at the right time. None-the-less, am I on the right track here?

Thanks,
-Michael

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings

1. The difference between:
a. Hopping
b. Jumping
c. Leaping
Leaping - Is it one foot leaving the floor, then the other; one lands, then the other as in Leaping Crane?
Hopping - Is it akin to a skip? Only one foot has contact with the floor, and you "hop" on it only; as in the gauging hop in Hopping Crane?
Jumping - Both feel leave the floor simultaneously and both land simultaneously? I get to this one by process of elimination only.
I have never been "taught" the difference, of course this is probably my own fault due to my not asking the right people at the right time. None-the-less, am I on the right track here?
Thanks,-Michael

Close but no cigar......

Hopping - Is one foot has contact with the floor (lets say the left foot), and you "hop" or leave the ground and land on the same (left foot).

Skip - is the same as hop except you "drag" the base foot along the ground, instead of leaving the ground.

Jump - is one foot leaving the ground (say cocking up your left foot - [right is on the ground] and jumping onto the other (left) foot with now the right leg cocked up as in Leaping Crane...... (should be Jumping Crane actually if based on the footwork).

Leap - Both feet leave the floor simultaneously and both land simultaneously as in Leap of Death.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Muchos Gras,

Have fun at the Speakman's camp. I'll be thinking about yall. Give my regard to Sigung LaBounty and Sibok Kelly if they are there and any UKS guys you see, we know Bryan Hawkins won't be there, but some of the others may make it (Bob Liles?)

Oos,
-MB

K

Kirk

I will be off the air for a while due to my body being transplanted to Las Vegas for Speakmans Kenpo Camp this weekend.

But Monday I will be back on the air.

Can't wait to hear a report about it!

K

Kirk

Close but no cigar......

Hopping - Is one foot has contact with the floor (lets say the left foot), and you "hop" or leave the ground and land on the same (left foot).

Skip - is the same as hop except you "drag" the base foot along the ground, instead of leaving the ground.

Jump - is one foot leaving the ground (say cocking up your left foot - [right is on the ground] and jumping onto the other (left) foot with now the right leg cocked up as in Leaping Crane...... (should be Jumping Crane actually if based on the footwork).

Leap - Both feet leave the floor simultaneously and both land simultaneously as in Leap of Death.

Ugh, this stuff is gonna kill me! The reason I stopped studying
TKD is because I felt I was too big for all that jumping. The
jumping front snap kick was KILLING ME! I started in kenpo
because I was told that it was an art "for anyone". Now there's
gonna be MORE jumping? Oy, ve.

Latest Discussions