push ups vs the bench press

OP
F

fissure

All of this is pointless. If there was some hard and fast rule for gaining strength or muscle size, then there wouldn't bee thousands of frustrated gym members out there.
Someone said that powerlifting and Olympic lifting add too much size! If any of you really lift weights or have ever been to a gym, then you know that for MOST people gaining lean muscle tissue is a *****.
Personally, body weight movements did little for me. High rep bodybuilding type training got me nowhere. The only time I gained muscle and strength was on a low rep powerlifting regime ( the kind someone else said can't be used to build strenght).However, I have friends who got nowhere on my routine and flourished on the kind that did nothing to me. Guess what? Everyone is different!

OP
P

Pyros

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson
ive been ttrying to notice the difference in th epushup an dthe bench press for a while now. push ups are said to work out the triceps while bench press works out the pects.

It all depends on your technique, you can turn your hands in pushups for different angles but even with Bench Press you can vary the width of your hands.

I always got better results with Dips than either of the two. In dips you move your whole body in air, which gets a lot higher stress release output from your nervous systems than lying on your back or supporting with feet (pushups). I always prefer stuff where you have to have 3 dimensional control of your whole body, but that's just my preference. Also, a dip sation is easier to handle in my apartment than a bench would.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by fissure

Personally, body weight movements did little for me. High rep bodybuilding type training got me nowhere. The only time I gained muscle and strength was on a low rep powerlifting regime ( the kind someone else said can't be used to build strenght).However, I have friends who got nowhere on my routine and flourished on the kind that did nothing to me. Guess what? Everyone is different!

I understand where you are coming from.
Up until the time I was about 25 tears old I was lean…..about 6% body fat and had the normal amount of muscle for someone my height.
I wanted bulk up so someone suggested I do 3~4 sets of 8 reps.
I did this for years and my gains were minimal.
A few years back I met a body builder here in Japan that was a good friend of “Arnie”.
He recommended I do 5 sets of 10 then 8 then 6 then 4 then 2 reps starting at 60% of my max and then work up from there, then if I felt like it do drop sets going back down from 2~4~6~8~10 reps.
The first month I blew by the max that I had struggled at for years. I gained about 15 .lbs of muscle as well.
Some people’s body make up work well with this type of workout….you just have to tweak your own workout to make it work for you.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson
O-Lifting and P-lifting build to much mass. Wat is important is the amount weight gained in the certain region, because as someone posted earlier, its not just strenght, its a combo of speed. momenturm is speed times the weight.
What are you talking about?

P-lifting and O-lifting aren't for mass, but for strength. BODYBUILDING IS FOR MASS. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT SCIENCES!

In powerlifting, you don't get a pump so no, it won't grow as much as if you did higher reps and lower sets.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by JDenz
weight training is good. The bigger and stronger you are the better you will do in a real life situation. I mean look at Bob Sapp. He kicks big Time *** lol and he is nothing but muscle.
However, with gaining too much mass, you have a serious risk of getting slower.

But for people who are slow already and don't have speed to their attribute but lots of force, then yeah, it's great to be bigger. But, the quicker and smarter opponent wins. That's a quote from Ken Shamrock talking trash on Tank Abbot, lol. I'm not a supporter of the UFC either, but it's true. Of course, a 100 pound wrestler won't be able to do a double-leg lift on a heavyweight, but there are other things he can do like low-level finishes where he attacks the ankle or the knee to bring him down.

But stretching minimizes loses in speed and agility and when done correctly, can maximize your speed-strength along with power.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by JDenz
You guys may know martial arts but you seem kinda clueless about bodybuilding. Light weight with alot of reps will build mass just like lifting heavy weights will. In fact talk to a pro wrestler sometime those huge guys usally lift about the same amount of weight that I do at the gym. In fact when I am bulking up I usally go to 10 sets of ten reps with a 45 second break between them. I only lift heavy maybe once or twice a month just to see what my max strength is. Lifting a weight so heavy that you can only lift it once is not the best way to develop strength or mass.
Bump that.

8-12 reps, around 3 sets is for bulking

High weights (like 70%-90% of your ORM) at 2-6 reps is for strength, not for mass

You are right, maxing out frequently is not good. Powerlifters don't even do that. Well, they do it once a month to find out where they're at.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Astra
You talk to a pro wrestler, I talk to a few pro-bodybuilders. Go figure. Developing "bulk" or beeing huge BTW, is not only limited to the excercises you do. It's much more dependant to your protein intake, and it all tends to vary from person to person. Fact.
Mass = Genetics, caloric intake, protein intake, carb intake at the right times, monosaturated fat, a BODYBUILDING program that includes some shock training for a week every few months or so, smart diet and smart training, etc.

Latest Discussions