Expert Relatives

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
:drinkbeer How many of you have ever had a relative who after a few drinks suddenly becomes an EXPERT in everything including the martialarts. Then wants you to show them some of what you know so the can give you some advice. How would you handle it and or what would you show them.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
what type of person this individual is, so do the rest of your relatives. My advise is to not take the bait. Especially after they "have had a few drinks". If you're badgered by people for not participating, just tell them that you take what you learn more seriously than to show people just enough to get themselves hurt. You know your abilities, whether you're a beginner or an expert, just concentrate on your own training. I think you'll find your "expert relative" will quickly move on to something else to be an "expert" on.

Respects,
Bill Parsons

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had an uncle who was more-or-less like that (he didn't drink around us kids but still was a show-off). I was polite--as I was to his brother, the astrologer.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah my dad but he doesn't drink. He actually was a seal in vietnam. :( So anything I try on him has to be done 10 times harder, faster and so on before he becomes a believer in what I'm saying.

OP
D_Brady

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, the way this came up was a women I know told me about an uncle who would said he could take anyones best shot to his oversized gut. He found out her 6 year old was in a karate program, so he gave the little girl the same chalenge he gave all the teen boys every year at the holiday get togethers. The girl refused take part. she said I'm only to use it if I have to. After the uncle would not let up, so the girl said OK and kickrd him right in the nadds. For some reason he couldn't eat or drink anything the rest of the day and was unusualy quiet the rest of the day.

Litttle girl 1 Fat uncle 0

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by D_Brady
thanks for the reply, the way this came up was a women I know told me about an uncle who would said he could take anyones best shot to his oversized gut. He found out her 6 year old was in a karate program, so he gave the little girl the same chalenge he gave all the teen boys every year at the holiday get togethers. The girl refused take part. she said I'm only to use it if I have to. After the uncle would not let up, so the girl said OK and kickrd him right in the nadds. For some reason he couldn't eat or drink anything the rest of the day and was unusualy quiet the rest of the day.

Ha, ha! Go girl! I like that one.

The only time this ever happened to me, I tried demonstrating and then explaining but I finally said "you're right" and left him alone.

Now I just tell busybodies that they are right... even if they are sober.

Most often someone says "ooh, you must be great/deadly/etc" and I usually say No. Whatever I can say to send them on their way. If they are really curious they can come to watch a class or maybe to a tournament. I try to take the path of least resistance.

K

Kiz Bell

LOL! Oh, that is such a great story! :D :D :D

I have kind of the opposite attitude with my rellies. I've been doing various Japanese Bujutsu arts for quite some years now, iaijutsu, kenjutsu, jodo, a little jujutsu. All my friends and relatives are intent on staying in a kind of determined ignorance, they insist on calling whatever I do "Karate". I've tried explaining patiently that, no, I don't do Karate. Iaijutsu is the art of sword drawing etc. etc. but they just reply with "well, it's still all just Karate isn't it?".

At least my Dad has decided that jodo is not actually Karate as such - he calls it broomsticks. For eg, if I'm heading off to an iaijutsu class he might ask - "So... are you off to Karate or broomsticks tonight?"