purpose of drills

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm not being obtuse. What I am looking for is a description of the structure of systems

If muscle memory is the primary driver for doing drills in your system, would you say that they are generally application related (i.e. you want your body to respond with a drilled sequence of movements in response to stimulus)? Or do you mean it in a different way?

Being obtuse wasn't directed at you specifically. Though one might wonder why everyone else jumped on you about it.

It is about responses to stimuli, but it's also about "chunking" a useful series of individual moves into a unit so you have to think about only the unit and not the individual moves that make it up.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...It is about responses to stimuli, but it's also about "chunking" a useful series of individual moves into a unit so you have to think about only the unit and not the individual moves that make it up.

I wasn't familiar with the term chunking, but it's a very useful concept. Think of how we process language or read text for example. We don't process or produce speech mastering individual phonemes, or even complete words, but typically in whole phrases which we link together. When I learned Spanish in school, I was taught vocabulary and grammar, but I wasn't able to actually converse in that language until I travelled and interacted with native speakers. I found myself constantly hearing and repeating common phrases. Before long comprehensible (coherent and functional) language was emerging from my mouth. Although I've forgotten most of what I learned through disuse over the last 20 years or so, I can vouch for the efficacy of drilling speech thorough what you call chunking.

SNT has been compared to learning an alphabet. And I agree that it is not (as a certain individual keeps repeating) learning application. But if our basic forms teach us the phonemes, vocabulary and grammar of VT, how will we ever learn to converse (chi-sau), debate (spar), and even argue (fight) fluently if we don't learn those useful phrases (chunking)? That much is essential for coherent and functional VT to emerge ...regardless of lineage. ;)

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wasn't familiar with the term chunking, but it's a very useful concept. Think of how we process language or read text for example. We don't process or produce speech mastering individual phonemes, or even complete words, but typically in whole phrases which we link together. When I learned Spanish in school, I was taught vocabulary and grammar, but I wasn't able to actually converse in that language until I travelled and interacted with native speakers. I found myself constantly hearing and repeating common phrases. Before long comprehensible (coherent and functional) language was emerging from my mouth. Although I've forgotten most of what I learned through disuse over the last 20 years or so, I can vouch for the efficacy of drilling speech thorough what you call chunking.

SNT has been compared to learning an alphabet. And I agree that it is not (as a certain individual keeps repeating) learning application. But if our basic forms teach us the phonemes, vocabulary and grammar of VT, how will we ever learn to converse (chi-sau), debate (spar), and even argue (fight) fluently if we don't learn those useful phrases (chunking)? That much is essential for coherent and functional VT to emerge ...regardless of lineage. ;)

Yep...there is "chunking" and "chaining". Useful ways to teach a complex task, especially tasks which may include aspects of both fine and gross motor skills.

I view ALL the forms as letters. The drills teach merely a few examples of small words, grammar, syntax etc. After that, it's up to the practitioner..... :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions