Punishment in your Gym?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I also dont get the whole "test for belt on time" thing... do a lot of schools use a testing schedule and say everyone tests at this time?

I think it depends on whether or not there are available instructors to do the testing. If there is only one instructor and no free times readily available for private tests, the logistics of the test have an impact.

Often I've seen that a test is given about every 2 months. This is sufficient to test those with low in-rank times, like white belt to yellow belt.

It also serves to test those who have other in-rank times because the time structure is built in periods divisible by two months. For example, the whites can test for yellow (2 months in) while the blues test for green (6 months in).

The only place that it has to be modified then is when you have a student start on an odd month. They may have to wait an extra month to test. But if they're going to complain about the extra month of training, they probably don't need to be there.

Black belts and some higher ranks are given special tests because of the wait time. But it's easier to accomodate a very few black belts than a dozen white belts.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure his was only for kids so what do the aults of for punisment?

ok it depends on why of course. I have been know to throw students out of class and out of the school for some things but usealy pushups, situps, etc are all that is needed

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
The majority of my classes that I teach right now are kids classes. Being at the developmental stages of focus, discipline and respect there are going to be a couple of issues with some kids. I use a modified baseball rule. Strike 1, Sit out for 5 minutes. Strike 2 sit out for at least 5 minutes and a talk with the parents. Strike 3, out of class for the day and another talk with the parents. Upon return to the next class they are on final warning. Anything will be met with a total dismissal from class without the ability to return for that season.

With adult classes, I don't think I've ever even encountered any resons to add any cals or warmups. Everyone is generally proper so nothing needs to be administered.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a couple for the childern

1) paugo which is the spend there legs apart and out there hands behind there back and bend forward with there head on the ground. After a couple of minutes they do not wish to do anymore.

2) they put on a Hogu and the other students get to kick them with a roundhouse, that is a last resort if all else fails.
Nothing really for the Adults.
terry