Punishment in your Gym?

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
I read this in another thread:

Aqua4ever said:
We use them as both. Push-ups are punishments for being late, talking out of line, if you don't adress with respect, that sort of thing.
We also do them at the beginning and end of class fairly often as cooldown/warmups/fitness. Many variations, all the ones Miles mentioned
Aqua

It dawned on me that I have never, even when I was 13, trained anywhere that "punishment" was used. I was wondering, how many of you do? Is it a tool used for young students, or do your adult students receive punishment, aswell? The concept of punishment in a gym is foreign to me, in the same way that punishment in college is. Your thoughts?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen push-ups given as a punishment. I don't do it. If I have to do more than warn people verbally, and rarely, then they need to train somewhere else, I figure.

But, remember that some people are teaching 10 year olds and need a way to keep them in line.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it's a youth thing. Kids will always need a little discipline and punishment in class. It's usually a verbal warning first. Then some pushups. If it continues then they have time added on to their next test date, or if they have a rank, they can wear a white belt for a week or so. And of course in very rare cases, explusion from the school.
I really don't punish the kids for being late, since their parents bring them. And now days parents want their kids to do everything, so their always coming or going from soccer, karate, music lessons, tennis lessons, tutoring, little league, pop warner, etc, etc. I just can't believe the stress levels you see in 10-12 year old kids now days.
I've always believed in treating adults like adults. They pay their money to be there, it's up to them to decide what they want out of their training.
If they can't act like adults and are disruptive or disrespectful to the instructors or other students, then they need to find another place to train.
But this goes both ways. I expect my black belts to treat the students with respect also.

OP
A

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
My opinion is that it could be a good tool for youth; but I'm in agreement with arni, if I have a problem with the way someone acts, I won't ask them to come back.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
for kids, its push ups, or jumping jacks, or having to stand in a certain place, or getting sent out of class. The only punishment I've seen given to an adult (a guy with a horrible temper) was being dissallowed to go to group classes (private only) unless he specifically asked permission, and never sparring class.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
standing still is a good one but most kids can't o it.
Push ups, jumping jack, sit ups are what I use for adults and kids

T

TheBattousai

Punishment is better for youth, but its usually they get to sit in a chair and watch the wall, not being able to train I think is some of the best punishment for kids. For adults, it really hasn't been an issue so I don't know what would work best, for the lesser instances of things, talking to them has been the best. One more thing, push-ups shouldn't be punishment, their way too much fun!

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I posted that I guess I wasn't clear on who and how often....
I have never seen an adult 'punished' by push-ups for anything other then lateness. When they are late, push-ups help you warm up to get your body up to everyone else's speed, and they also remind you all through class that maybe next time you should leave a little bit earlier. Any legit excuses (taking kids somewhere) are taken into consideration.
The teenagers (that's where I fall in remember...) tend to get a few more for, well, teenager behaviour. Adressing our assistant instructors (our age) by their first name is the most common slip-up, and you get probably 10 push-ups for that, just to remind you. No one at our club likes push-ups! It isn't by any stretch a regular occurance, just the occasional forgetful moment.
The youngest guys and girls at our club get time outs when they get overwhelmed (standing facing the corner, sitting out until they can calm down) or removal from their favourite part of class depending on the offense. We have some very active little guys and this seems to work quite well.
Aqua

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We tried not to use "push-up" for punishment because it starts to be related to punishment and not a excerise we all should do. Use push-up for positive roles not punishment.

Humans learn to give physcial punishment to punish people, very negative reactions that was learn by BAD people.

It take more afford to find another way!

This is one suggestion: Ask them why they are late and have them explain why they should be on time when they are standing in class out loud, and have them give ideas on how they can be on time.

Remember kids have a short expansion time on there minds and must be kept busy always.

Punishment should not be goal to get them to do something.....if this work how come we don't do it for all the Adults in the world.......George bush...OK everybody give me 10.........Aloha

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Where I train push ups are used for lateness (10 per tardy minute) and are given to the whole class so peer pressure works wonders...
As for the kids, if they are really disruptive they will get sent outside for a few minutes, otherwise they are just reminded that it is not just their own time they are wasting, but everyone else's time as well.

OP
A

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Aqua4ever said:
When I posted that I guess I wasn't clear on who and how often....
I have never seen an adult 'punished' by push-ups for anything other then lateness. When they are late, push-ups help you warm up to get your body up to everyone else's speed, and they also remind you all through class that maybe next time you should leave a little bit earlier. Any legit excuses (taking kids somewhere) are taken into consideration.
The teenagers (that's where I fall in remember...) tend to get a few more for, well, teenager behaviour. Adressing our assistant instructors (our age) by their first name is the most common slip-up, and you get probably 10 push-ups for that, just to remind you. No one at our club likes push-ups! It isn't by any stretch a regular occurance, just the occasional forgetful moment.
The youngest guys and girls at our club get time outs when they get overwhelmed (standing facing the corner, sitting out until they can calm down) or removal from their favourite part of class depending on the offense. We have some very active little guys and this seems to work quite well.
Aqua

I apologize, I surely wasn't trying to take it out of context. It just kind of dawned on me.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Students who were late would be given 'extra' warmups to do, before they could join class. While being late, at times, can't be avoided, ie: bad weather, traffic, etc., if it is a repeat performance, they would usually be spoken to about it. It is slightly disruptive to the class, as well as now the student misses out on what was already taught.

Mike

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never seen physical punishment in our adult class. Sensei's bark is usually enough to quell any inappropriate behavior.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my way of thinking the ideology of "Punishment" has NO place in ones martial arts journey, in school or otherwise. Never should.
It makes no sense.

Your Brother
John

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't punish per se but I have no problem talking to a kid if he's acting out. It's a safety thing, more than anything and a discipline thing second. I've sat a kid down for a couple of minutes until I could talk to him but then I always get him back on the mat as soon as possible. If a kids class is getting out of control, putting them all in a horse stance while reminding them to focus seems to pull them back in.

Never disciplined adults past talking to them privately and that very rarely. Two students were requested to leave for different reasons. One was a whack job that slipped through the screening process and the other was too immature and agressive to control himself. He was hurting people in light contact class, even after being warned a number of times. It was suggested that maybe a school geared towards fighting would be better suited to his needs. Quite a shame, he had a lot of potential ability.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor makes the kids do pushups, chinese chair, stances, jumping jacks, laps. He says to the ones that act up all the time....... I cant make you smarter, but I'll at least make you stronger LOL!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We had 'The Box' - A 4' Taped area on the floor near the wall. This is where the child who was disruptive or belligerent stood in a training horse til we let him/her back into line. If the child was acting out for whatever reason we also incorporated 6" (Laying on their back holding their feet up 6" from the floor)..

I'm not saying these are punishments.. but discipline building exercises. :)

Pushups were rarely used as most of the kids couldn't do a correct Pushup and didn't want to instill bad habits of repeatedly doing incorrect ones ;)

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
My instructor made everone do pushups or laps, or if the crime was bad enough, like putting down someone else or making fun of them, you didn't test for your next belt in time. I always got pushups, which for me was even worse as I have somewhat of a bad back, they hurt my back more than my arms. Helped me stay in line though.

Becky

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We dont teach children at our place, and we dont use punishment.

We all get out of training what we get out of training... and a lot of that is what we PUT IN our training. The most "punishment" I have ever seen is 1 on 1 talks with the instructor, and those are much more like coaching sessions.

Let me ask you guys who discpline your students for late times... In a childrens class, its the parents responsibility to get the kid there on time, is it actually beneficial to punish the student? If so how?

If it were me, as a kid, I think I would resent going somplace that was punishing me for my parents misdeeds. I don't think I would learn well because of that, and I dont think I would want to keep coming... but thats me.

I also dont get the whole "test for belt on time" thing... do a lot of schools use a testing schedule and say everyone tests at this time?

Latest Discussions