Pulling Rank

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
We are allowed to call our instructor by his first name but we do respect him. Its mainly for gradings we use his title of Sifu.

OP
W

white eagle

The way I look @ is the belt rank that has been earned by a certain person places them in a structured hiearchy in a class
but take the class away and you have the option on how to treat the upper ranks everyone should be threated with some degree of respect but to carry out the class stucture into the outside world is totaly optional in my eyes

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My TKD instructor at college insisted on strict protocol in class. Bowing, yes sir, no sir, etc...

That's fine in class. BUT, one day, I ran into him in the school cafeteria. I had my tray full with my dinner and soda. I smiled and said "Hello, sir."

He proceeded to lay into me for not bowing. Gimme a break. I run into an instructor out of class and out of uniform, juggling a tray full of food and drink, and he expected me to bow to him. RIGHT. SURE. WHATEVER.

The conclusion I drew from that experience (and the remainder of my time with that instructor) is that those who feel they must demand respect are generally incapable of earning it.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In class, my students address me much more formally than outside. I am comfortable with this. Of course there are some that insist on the same formality outside of class, and it seems I cannot alter the paradigm that they were brought up under, so I allow it.

Respect should be earned, not expected. Granted, the belt itself and time in the art to obtain that belt deserve some respect, but you do not know how much until you have been on the mat, talked with the person, and have an idea of their values and/or abilities.

The only provisio to this is that I start with a basic respect for all individuals, until they prove me wrong, on and off the mat.

-Michael

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In a situation like that, our Instructor would accept whatever you were capable of doing at the time. If you want to bow, that's fine. However, if it were physically difficult at the time he (or I) would accept a nod of the head. He would also likely extend his hand for a Western-style handshake.
Keep in mind, while he and I are strict traditionalists, you can't really expect students to demonstrate full TKD etiquitte like bowing in a public place, it is simply not appropriate.
When fellow judges or students and myself go to dinner after a testing or class, we do not bow to each other upon leaving the restaurant because it is not appropriate in a Western setting. We shake hands and go. We do properly address each other and stay within a certain amount of protocol. Sitting order is still determined by seniority.
I am curious as to whether any student has demonstrated a formal kneeling bow to their Instructor in public. While I would never do that or expect it to be done to me, there might be people who have.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Nightingale said:
The conclusion I drew from that experience (and the remainder of my time with that instructor) is that those who feel they must demand respect are generally incapable of earning it.
A very astute statement Nightingale. I agree whole heartily.

You give the instructors you meet a certain amount of respect due to their accomplishments. ie their rank. But then, as does any other person you meet, have to earn your true respect by how they present themselves and how they treat others. Do they show respect to their students or think of them and underlings that are their for his/her benifit.

Respect is definitely an earned commodity, and if you are respected good things usually come your way. People that demand respect live a sad exsistance and are rarely treated the way they THINK they should be treated or are given it grudgenly and are then talked about behind their backs, damaging their reputation even further.

Just my two cents.

Dot
:asian:

OP
B

Bruce Banner

hi mrs kenpogirl. how are you? i am fine. i think that a karate man should always listen to his master is all i am saying. i am learning through video and i want to be a real karate man so i will always listen to the master wehn i find one to teach me. no offense but a karate man should always be careful not to use his special moves when they could hurt someone and a master will tell you when that is if you know what i mean. i would use delayed sword if i was in danger or if my mom was in danger so i think i have a good idea what i am talking about already if you know what i mean. so wehn i find a master i will be ready is all i am saying.

your friend
Bruce

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I respect my Master as a person foremost and then as a martial artist. Being a mentor is important not only in MA but in life. Everyone in a teaching position should always be loved and respected for their character over their skill in a given trade. There are plenty of Instructors that are average/below average Martial Artists but have great spirit and character. Then on the other end, there are great Martial Artists that have little character and are driven by the wrong motives. But I am sure each one of us on this board has met that Teacher/Instructor/Master that demonstrates both. It is always a great find.

Back on topic....

I never really thought of treating anyone different outside of the school, than I do just before and after class....All my fellow instructors are my friends and my training partners, and all of my students are my friends and training partners.

Latest Discussions