Proposal Writing

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am in the process and admittedly failing at writing a proposal to try and get into the local college/university to try and offer classes. Any suggestions.

TwistofFat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rob,

I assume you are approaching the schol re: Martial Arts training? If yes, here's what I did. First - see if they have one now or in the past. If current they maybe looking for qualified instructors; if recent past - what happened? (You would be amazed at some of the horror stories mostly from folks pretending to me "masters" and such) If Good experiences - can reuse materials, tap into interested students and faculty. If bad - it depends on how bad.
I found it productive to approach the AD of the sports program (or the like) or the Kinesiology team in the school of health, etc.
Have syllabi for several classes - Intro to martial arts, Intro to Kenpo, etc. that include objectives, attendance requirements, grading, equipment needed, et al. Some schools are far down the road and may offer as credit (UCLA, Indiana, and many others). Some schools will do it as a non-credit martial arts club. If you desire is to teach for credits, you will need an in depth proposal that not only includes the physical, but mental and topical (i.e. Rape Awareness and MA in a litigious society).

Hope this helps - Glenn.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am approaching a small North Canadian College. I would like to be able to start up a program at the college. There used to be an instructor offering a Judo - Karate hybrid, but she moved on to work in the states. I need to put together a proposal to get my feet in the door, so that I might be able do what the last instructor did and eventually offer a for credit course at the school.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there is a basically white belt class for TKD at our local community college. They do it for credit, PE, but haven't heard if it will go into testing and advanced belts. Its being taught by a black belt lst, who originated from a town an hour from here. Hope it works for you Rob! TW

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Hey Rob, suggestion: If they don't like the idea of you teaching martial arts class for credit there, you still might be able to get your foot in the door by teaching an extracurricular class that is open to the community. Even small colleges typically offer those programs, because it generates extra money for their PE dept.

Oh wait- rereading TwistofFat's post, I see he already mentioned that. Well now you know there are two of us who think that it's a good idea. :D

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a small college that specializes in Arts and Technology. There isn't a sports program in place or a kinesiology dept. The people I have spoke to at the school, would like to try things out for a yr before having a credited course, which I have no problem with. They need a proposal to pass on the the provincial board of education. My biggets problems is I have no idea what to put in the proposal. I can teach people, but when it comes to proposal writing I hit a wall. That is why I started this thread to get some ideas about how to write the proposal and what to put in it.

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Rob,

I've been there too - sucks that they dont just take you're word for it, huh? I hadda write a proposal to get my University to re-open a indoor rock climbing dealie...and, at a loss for how to write it, i googled "writing business proposals", founds some tips and examples, filled in the blanks, yadda yadda yadda.

It got the job done.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Cheers

Baoquan

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is just a stab at it. First, I think you have a "mission statement'. What you intend an individual would get out of it in simple terms--learn Kenpo, to become physically more fit and have "some" self defense training (after 12 weeks or?).

Then you have your goals: Larger goals: physical conditioning, self defense; Smaller goals: flexibility, upper body strength, cardiovascular training, agility, confidence, whatever. Short term - what you can accomplish in how many weeks like Kenpo 1-15 techniques and test to yellow and long term - what you can accomplish if they stay for a second class term, etc.

Then you have a program how you will execute those goals: Week 1, Week 2, etc.: lst day warmups -what exercises, pushups 25, etc. How to you handle written materials - they would probably love written materials, diagrams of techiques etc. Testing criteria: physical test and written test?

Then you present what you might need to execute those goals in terms of mats, equipment, room size, time needed, how many students you can handle etc.

What medical problems would prevent students being excluded. Medical Information sheet for you? I don't know except wheelchair would seriously dent the program and once we had a guy who had two metal hands and arms. Uniforms, probably can't be required - have to say loose, comfortable, modest clothing. Shoes, no shoes?

Discuss fee or not until they request. I would sound them out.

Maybe there are some physical education/college level or high school even on this board that could do better - hope that helps a little to start people off. TW

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Hey Rob, suggestion: If they don't like the idea of you teaching martial arts class for credit there, you still might be able to get your foot in the door by teaching an extracurricular class that is open to the community. Even small colleges typically offer those programs, because it generates extra money for their PE dept.

Oh wait- rereading TwistofFat's post, I see he already mentioned that. Well now you know there are two of us who think that it's a good idea. :D

Here is another way to approach the issue. Contact the local Studnet Government of the College, and pitch it to them, and see if they would not be willing to sponsor you for he first year, in particular if you pitch the self defense aspect of the class.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was the student government that passed the idea on to the administration. I think I will just let the idea go this year. The wife came home from work tonight and is now considering moving to a better market for her career and I would hate to leave students in a lurch.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, good luck on the move, Rob. Would you be staying in Ontario? Move West, man. The streets are paved with gold! Actually, the highest concentration of West Nile virus cases have been reported here....maybe best to stay in the East.
icon9.gif

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We could end up in Thunderbay, Kitchener, London, or Sarnia and as a very last resort Timmins. All these places are in Ontario. The wife lived out in BC and she just turned down a position in Canmore because she wants to stay near her parents even though they live 10 hours away from each other. I just know if she gets into a bigger market for radio, I get into a bigger market to teach Kenpo.

B

Baytor

You know, if you were in the US, you could probably get a government grant to teach if you included the words "homeland defense" or "WMD education".:rolleyes: Do you think that would work in Canada?

Latest Discussions