A request

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a simple request of everyone who reads this thread. Please take the time to fill out your profile. Doing so can really make things easier for everyone. It allows members to understand you better and therefore understand your posts. Too many conflicts have arisen on forums because of simple misunderstandings, filling out your profile can sometimes make someone understand where you are coming from or understand your background a little better which in turns helps them undestand you. I am not niave and think that there will no longer be misundestandings if we all took the time to fill out our profile, but if it can eliminate even 1 or 2 % of the misundestandings then it is worth the couple minutes to do so.

If you do not know how it is very simple just go to the User CP link in the blue bar near the top of the page and you will be able to put in all your information. You don't need to share your name, in some cases I suggest that you do not do so, but some info about your training history, and arts training in could make life much simpler.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, if there are additional catagories you think should be in there, please let me know. Member feedback good. :)

G

Gary Crawford

Absolutely!I agree.I have, as nicely as I can, asked many to do that through PM's.If you notice,I,like many here(more here do it than other forums),use my real name.I do this for many reasons.First,on other forums,I have noticed those who spew the worst garbage are the ones who use screen names and have an empty user profile.One experience especially got me to thinking hard on the subject.It was a forum on a site a freind of mine designed.He e-mailed me to tell me about a complete whacko who was dominating the threads,and asked me to go head to head with him.I tried my best to talk sense to this guy to no avail.I then noticed that his user profile had no info on it.I tried to get him to complete his profile,no luck.Then I realized that as long as he remains anonymous,he can say absolutly anything he wants without bearing any responsibility for what he says.I then dropped my screenname and challenged all the members of the forum to do the same.The forum was completely dead for a week after that.I discovered something else about using my real name verses a screnename,it keeps ME honest.I know think a lot more about what I post(except when I have had a beer or twelve and post somehing I shouldn't in the "comedy Cafe" sorry Tess!).

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gary I agree that it does help maintain a sense of honesty by keeping your real name out there for everyone to see... provided you had a reason to be dishonest in the first place hmm?? (just kidding).
<shrugs> I use MACaver because I like how it identifies me and my two favorite loves Caves and Martial Arts. My real name can be found on my profile for those wondering so I'm not feeling any sense of guilt because I don't have it out front.
Sometimes anonymity is preferred by some people and it's ok with me provided it's a legitimate reason for it. I'm not overly curious about everyone. I've learned to accept people at face value with a grain of salt until I get to know them better and that'll be decided by me.
I do think that folks do need to have a good profile and Rob is right it will help us get to know one another as fellow MA-er's better.
:asian:

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob

I did what you asked and updated my profile. When I joined about a year or so ago it was because someone told me about the site. However I didn't really know much about the site and the folkes here so I didn't put to much info out there. However I was negligent in going back and editing/updating my info. Thanks for reminding me and the info on how to do it. Maybe I got it right. :)

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Gary I agree that it does help maintain a sense of honesty by keeping your real name out there for everyone to see... provided you had a reason to be dishonest in the first place hmm?? (just kidding).
<shrugs> I use MACaver because I like how it identifies me and my two favorite loves Caves and Martial Arts. My real name can be found on my profile for those wondering so I'm not feeling any sense of guilt because I don't have it out front.
Sometimes anonymity is preferred by some people and it's ok with me provided it's a legitimate reason for it. I'm not overly curious about everyone. I've learned to accept people at face value with a grain of salt until I get to know them better and that'll be decided by me.
I do think that folks do need to have a good profile and Rob is right it will help us get to know one another as fellow MA-er's better.
:asian:

I agree with you on the anonymity thing. On the mechanics site they want you to have an alias due to the company watching the web sites and the lawyers sueing for the hard drives of the web master and such. So there everyone uses a different name. Well most do, some feel like let them come and get me and use their real name. Anyway when I signed up here with martial talk I picked a name some of Hock's people called me. Since I think it was one of his people who refered me to the site, I figured they would know who I am.

However I do sign my name to many of my posts here, so I guess it doesn't matter the lawyers will get it anyhow. :uhyeah:

Mark Lynn

Latest Discussions