Pronunciation of 'Judo'.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How exactly is the leading 'J' in 'Judo' pronounced? I assume it's somewhere between the English 'J' and the English 'Y'. I ask because I recently spoke with a second-generation Japanese-American who pronounced it more like the Korean way ('Yudo'), which truly surprised me. (This was not a martial artist.) I've always thought it was pretty close to our 'J'.

K

Kempo Guy

The JU sound in Judo sounds like the way you'd pronounce the Ju in June (the month) or Ju in juice.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempo Guy
The JU sound in Judo sounds like the way you'd pronounce the Ju in June (the month) or Ju in juice.

I've always been told it's sapose to sound
Like Shoodo(judo) & shooshitsu(Ju Jitsu)

Ever Heard Wallid Ismail Scream Shooshitsu (Jiu Jitsu)
The Man is a Cool nut case=-)

K

Kempo Guy

Ace,

The reason Wallid is saying shoo-jitsu is because of the Portugese accent. :) You'll hear the same from the Gracies.

It is definitely pronounced as I described above (at least in Japanese).

Touch'O'Death,

It sounds more like option 1.

KG

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempo Guy
Ace,

The reason Wallid is saying shoo-jitsu is because of the Portugese accent. :) You'll hear the same from the Gracies.

It is definitely pronounced as I described above (at least in Japanese).

Touch'O'Death,

It sounds more like option 1.

KG

I was watching Pride 1&2 & it's in all Japanies & The Also Say
Shoo

K

Kempo Guy

Hmmm, I'll have to check that out. I've never heard any Japanese say "shoo...." to pronounce "JU...." (or jiu if you will).
I'm not completely fluent in Japanese but having lived there for nine years I feel I have a pretty good grasp of the language... but it's possible I'm mistaken.
:confused:

KG

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it possible that different dialects are at play with the difference in pronunciation of the "J"?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, its a "j" sound. its a soft "j", but it is still "j".
the best way to describe it is like combining the J sound with "chew". the J in portuguese is pronounced with the teeth together, while the Japanese j is done with the teeth apart, and it sounds a little sharper than english. in english, the "j" is elongated (depending on where you live)

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On another note...is "judoka" its own plural in Japanese? That's how I hear it used in English (one judoka, two judoka).

A

auxprix

Yeah. In Japanese, words are not modified for plurality. you can have one judoka, two judoka...it doesn't matter.

I'm not sure about the dialect thing. I've only been exposed to the Tokyo dialect, so I can't speak for others. I'll have to get back to you in August when I move to the Osaka area for a semester abroad.

K

Katsu Jin Ken

its definately the Ju in June. well from the Okaniowian source.

K

Kevin Walker

Pronounce Ju as in Jew (as in Judaism)

Pronounce Do as in Doe (as in a female deer)

and remember Judo is two words = Ju-do

Latest Discussions