New Sport Judo (ESPN)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
What are the changes?

Personally, I never really got into Judo enough to be able to tell the differance.

Heres an article on it:
http://www.swainsportsintl.com/projudo/

My brother-in-law told me it was "beautiful" but he was talking about the beauty in the execution of the technique. It takes a true Judo player to appreciate and to really "see" it.

:asian:

P

pknox

Interesting. They've gone to a point and time system. First to 20 pts, or most pts at the end of time. Evidently submissions don't necessarily end the match, but instead award points, and cause a "standing 8" count similar to boxing. I guess if you can't answer the count, you lose. Otherwise it's by time (3 90 sec rounds/60 sec break between rounds). Also, an "Ippon" throw doesn't end the match - it just gets you 10 pts - you'd need two good throws to win. If you tap someone (10 pts), you need to score with a throw next, as at least 10 pts must be from standup (trying to keep the BJJ guys out, eh? ;)) Waza-ari is now 5 pts and Yuko 3. Basically they've changed the rules to be more TV friendly.

P

pknox

Nope. I haven't seen Judo on TV for some time. ESPN2 does run the "breaking championships" from about 2 years ago like every other week it seems -- other than that, a tiny bit of kickboxing, and the occasional musical forms competition, I never seem to see any MA on ESPN anymore. :(

Maybe when the Olympics get closer they'll show it.

W

whackjob-san

I saw it ONCE about two years ago on ESPN2. Mike Swain was doing all the announcing and they supplemented the competition with pre-taped segments on the history of judo and demonstrations of basic throws.

They said it was going to be a weekly thing...:rolleyes:

Oh well. I liked it though. I even went out and bought one of those reversable blue gis afterwards!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If anyone heres that it is going to be shown PLEASE post ahad of time. I would like to see one of these shows on judo

Latest Discussions