Pressure Points (Kyosho?Kyoto?Kyoso?)

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
A response is a reaction. You can only take the initiative if you were aware in ther first place. You won't be for real! They pick where, when and how. Again, training is close, but, not the same.

Don't you train environmental awareness?

If not, you should. Everybody should!!

--Dave

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Yes, but, the real thing is not the same!

Please come out of the dojo sir. All youn keep talking about is training and fighting when you were younger. It all helps but, you need some real experience, with all due respect.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My friend has the perfect answer. He's a marine, they're trained like you wouldn't beleive, for every conceivable situation. Like he said, it all goes to crap, when for real, your copter gets shot down, before the real engagement. You can't train for reality, you can only experience it

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Is the "training is everything" mindset part of your style? If so, I suggest you quit, and get into to something that is real, like bouncing at a club or something. At least mine comes from a lot of fighting experience. You will be caught, when it's for real. You' re not always able to be aware.

If I added your mindset, I would get killed.

How real would you like it?
5 years as a security guard on mobile patrols. Banks, bonded warehouses, and drug manufacturing companies. Dealing with armed felons, drug addicts and other nefarious types.

One other point, I never carried a gun. All I had was a big torch and that attitude I told you about earlier :)

Fights? Yeah, been there done that! Injured? Many times. Lose? Rarely, but still more often than I would have liked. :(
Solution? Train harder!!

Oh, by the way - this mindset is the reason I'm still here. ;)

--Dave

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
D.Cobb said:
How real would you like it?
5 years as a security guard on mobile patrols. Banks, bonded warehouses, and drug manufacturing companies. Dealing with armed felons, drug addicts and other nefarious types.

One other point, I never carried a gun. All I had was a big torch and that attitude I told you about earlier :)

Fights? Yeah, been there done that! Injured? Many times. Lose? Rarely, but still more often than I would have liked. :(
Solution? Train harder!!

Oh, by the way - this mindset is the reason I'm still here. ;)

--Dave

If you did all that, then I'm sure you were caught when it happened for real, and your training didn't cover it. You had to adapt to the situation.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
My friend has the perfect answer. He's a marine, they're trained like you wouldn't beleive, for every conceivable situation. Like he said, it all goes to crap, when for real, your copter gets shot down, before the real engagement. You can't train for reality, you can only experience it

Ahh see, theres the problem. I am a civilian. I walk but don't march. I drive a car, not a chopper. When things go to hell in my little patch, I'm not likely to be under fire. Guns aren't as prevalent here downunder. So I train for what I'm likely to face. Your marine buddy is right, because his reality is not and never will be mine.

--Dave

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
If you did all that, then I'm sure you were caught when it happened for real, and your training didn't cover it. You had to adapt to the situation.

Ok, now I get it. We're saying the same things, it's just coming out different.

My point is that the training I do, allowed me to adapt. If I didn't train the way I have, I would end up the way you say. :D

--Dave

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are saying the same thing! I have been trying to get that across! I agree about the training! I get from your posts that we have the same mindset, and personality. Have a cold one on me brother! It's too hot over there to get so bothered-- LOL!
icon7.gif

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow a lot has happened in 12 days or whenever the last time I was on. A few good points masde by everyone, but some things need to be touched on. Dave made some great points on body posture and after a little bit of bickering everyone came to agreement. Body alignment of not only you but your opponent is a basic and important part of anyones training and should be one of the most important things anyone learns. If you are not training against a resisting opponent than how do you know if what you are doing works, in the dojo it is harder to get a technique off if the opponent knows what is coming this also has to come into play. Want to know if what you do really works out of nowhere attack one of your students (nothing serious a push or grab) and see how they respond, as you can practice preassault ques as much as you want but you may not always see the attack coming. Kata is no more than shadowboxing, and both should be done with a real opponent eventually.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
ppko said:
Wow a lot has happened in 12 days or whenever the last time I was on. A few good points masde by everyone, but some things need to be touched on. Dave made some great points on body posture and after a little bit of bickering everyone came to agreement. Body alignment of not only you but your opponent is a basic and important part of anyones training and should be one of the most important things anyone learns. If you are not training against a resisting opponent than how do you know if what you are doing works, in the dojo it is harder to get a technique off if the opponent knows what is coming this also has to come into play. Want to know if what you do really works out of nowhere attack one of your students (nothing serious a push or grab) and see how they respond, as you can practice preassault ques as much as you want but you may not always see the attack coming. Kata is no more than shadowboxing, and both should be done with a real opponent eventually.

PPKO, it's not often that I agree with you, but this is one of those times where we are in complete agreement.

When I was training in EPAK, from the minute you walked into the studio, you had to be on guard. Any time a higher rank walked past you, you had to be prepared to defend yourself. And tip tap was not permitted, the higher the rank, the harder you were expected to hit. Hey Handsword, this is how you train to gain posture, no matter what gets thrown at you. And when you play this way, the real stuff doesn't phase you because you get hit that hard when you play :D

The only thing I disagree with PPKO on is,
Kata is no more than shadowboxing
Kata is a whole lot more than shadowboxing. Unfortunately, this is something that has to be discovered. No matter how you try to teach this concept, students just don't get it until they get it... :(

--Dave

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that it helps. As I said I agree with the training thing. My points were about comparing training and reality, so you must keep in mind that the mindset is different. You expected to be attacked at the dojo everytime a higher rank walked by. You don't think the same way, just running to the store, or something like that. A hard hit, from Dojo people, is not the same as an all out assault, on the street.

hunt68

White Belt
Reaction score
just wondering does any one know a dojo where i can study this in norther va on any where in va

Chitmunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Something I would like to put out there, the reason you train in a controlled enviroment is to implement the mindset and reactions you need in the uncontrolled enviroment. An example of what I mean is easily seen in contact sports, let's use the sport of wrestling. In practice you train the techniques perfectly with very little resistence from your partner before you get to live drills so you know how the move works and feels in a perfect situation. But that is what makes the move effective in a less than perfect situation, if you didn't know and train the move correctly in the controlled enviroment you would not be able to use it effectivly in the uncontrolled one. Pressure points can definitely enhance the effectiveness of any technique, I spend allot of time on grappling and manipulation techniques myself and I find that my knowledge of pressure points to be inexpendable knowledge because they help to "agressivly coax" your opponent into the position you wish them to be into so you are no longer the one reacting, but can take action and begin to control the encounter, which is what the defender should be doing from the moment he/she finds out that they are under attack. Now the only way to make such surgical strikes, like pressure point inherintly (sp?) are, is to train them intensively so when the moment comes that a strike using one presents itself you don't have to think about it the mind and body will just do what they are supposed to, accurately and effectivly. as for pressure points being all over the body, don't for get the point mid-ribcage, slightly below the armpit, on the inside of the thigh, just under the bicep, in the pit of the elbow, the instep of the foot, the point mid forearm along the inner bone (palms facing backward), sides of the neck (particularly effective in grappling arts), pluse the like hundred thousand (exsaduration... I have no clue how to really spell that) that are on the head and face. I know there are many more I just don't know what they are. I agree that limiting your number of techniques to a coherent effective set is advisable, but any knowledge is good knowledge to have, if you only base your style on one principle you can be easily negated and made ineffective, but by training in all aspects (pp's, locks and holds, power strikes, ect...) you allow yourself to be able to adapt to any situation and will have weapons available no matter how your opponent is making you react and the more uses you have for each weapon will increase your posibility of victory. Wow this one was long...

Latest Discussions