Pressure Point Question - Vulcan Neck Pinch?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Ok, this may be a weird one, :) but as an old school Treker, I've often wondered if there was a "Real World" idea or concept behind this thing. I've noticed that applying pressure to the area between the head and shoulder can cause a person pain, and tend to really annoy em, but, is there a martial idea behind it? or application?

:asian:

Any coincidences aside, Nimoy's said multiple times that he just yanked the move outta his hoo-ha because he didn't beleive that Spock would resort to physical violence.

(Though I do wonder what fighting discipline would reccommend a cross body splash like Kirk used in multiple attacker situations... Most of Kirk's moves seemed derived from pro wrestling.)

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Trapezoid pinches are a little bit painful but they don't last long because by moving away from the pain the reciever of the pinch is reducing the power of the technique. This is a natural reaction.

Digging the thumb into the gap between the trapezoid and the clavicle makes it much more painful, and is more useful in eliciting the reaction.

The moving away from pain reaction is most useful when you have someone in an arm-behind-the-back lock (hammerlock?).

If you hold the receivers right arm behind his back with your left hand he will tend to get out of the lock by turning clockwise to face you. To prevent this you can secure the lock by threading the right hand under his elbow and holding his right shoulder. The lock exposes a pressure point on top of his shoulder blade - feel around on your shoulder with your arm up behind your back and you should find it. If he turns from the pain of the lock you grip the shoulder pressure point and push his right shoulder. If he turns anti-clockwise away from the pressure on his shoulder you crank the lock up a notch.

It is my belief that pressure point skills are best used with good standing grappling skills. Apart from the solar plexus, throat, chin-point, temples, ribs beneath the armpit, knees and base of the nose, trying to strike points in any truly competitive altercation is generally far beyond the ability of the average or even advanced striker.