Preserving history

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
or gone loony?
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/pres...s-becomes-goal-lunar-traffic-grows-2D11674289

US law makers want to declare the Apollo landing sites 'moon parks' to preserve the history...
The question would be: Since we can't go there, what would keep other nations (China for example) from yanking up the flags and sell them on ebay?

This comes at a time when the real, accessible national parks have to deal with major budget cuts, going on for years now...

Oh, and a few other real, in this world problems they should be spending time (and money) on....

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
or gone loony?
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/pres...s-becomes-goal-lunar-traffic-grows-2D11674289

US law makers want to declare the Apollo landing sites 'moon parks' to preserve the history...
The question would be: Since we can't go there, what would keep other nations (China for example) from yanking up the flags and sell them on ebay?

This comes at a time when the real, accessible national parks have to deal with major budget cuts, going on for years now...

Oh, and a few other real, in this world problems they should be spending time (and money) on....

I wouldn't worry about it until the start staffing it with park rangers...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cost of the declaration is minimal; what's the cost of publishing it in the Congressional Register?

I like the principle, just like the principle that nations can't claim the Moon. But it's unenforceable unless we can go back. And I'd really like to see our return to space be about business and science, not national pride.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the time these egg heads take to discuss the matter is the cost of this brain fart.

But hey, they could call/email the man in the White House...he could draft them an executive decision! Done.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cost of the declaration is minimal; what's the cost of publishing it in the Congressional Register?

I like the principle, just like the principle that nations can't claim the Moon. But it's unenforceable unless we can go back. And I'd really like to see our return to space be about business and science, not national pride.

I think the register is now primarily distributed electronically. Since it's done every day, the cost of labor to type it is always there, no matter what is put in it. Same with the Record, which is where it really probably should be. As to what it costs for any subsequent printing, when any members of congress re-print it in their offices on laser or inkjet printers, who knows.

I would like to see us get back to the moon. I don't see such great advantages to trips to Mars yet. Let's figure out how to survive on the moon. It will make survival on Mars a cakewalk. There are also likely minerals to be exploited on the moon, and transport to and from the moon, as it improves to make more money from that, will again make travel to Mars easier.

But probably we first need to figure out how to resolve expanded no-fly-zones here on earth before we try to divvy up the moon.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we can't go there, what would keep other nations (China for example) from yanking up the flags and sell them on ebay
Nearly 45 years of flying in unfiltered sunlight has likely bleached all the pigment from those flags. We are essentially flying white flags on the moon, which somehow seems strangely appropriate.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
or gone loony?

And what gives us the right to claim any part of the moon?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
And what gives us the right to claim any part of the moon?

Probably the same that gave the Spanish the right to Central and South America, as well as large parts of North America, and the British and French the rest.

We were the first to put people there. Flotsam and Jetsam don't count. ;-)

But seriously, I expect we would have to put teeth to any claim we made.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably the same that gave the Spanish the right to Central and South America, as well as large parts of North America, and the British and French the rest.

We were the first to put people there. Flotsam and Jetsam don't count. ;-)

But seriously, I expect we would have to put teeth to any claim we made.

And the ultimate culmination of John Kennedy's dream will be a theme park.

Latest Discussions