Prepping for higher rank as an instructor

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a lot of you know, I just started my Tae Kwon Do school in February. I haven't tested since 1988 (long story, for those who don't know). I'm planning to test in March. I train at least an hour per day on my own between Poomsae, running, & hitting a heavy bag. I teach 1 hour twice a week. I love teaching my students. The highest rank is yellow belt. My focus with them is encouraging them as they learn the basics. It helps me to stay focused on basics, but I don't feel I can work on my advanced things with them.

Since I've not yet tested in my organization, I don't know what to expect. The only thing I expect is a long, hard test. (I want nothing less, but the not knowing what to expect is always hard). The closest school in my organization is 3 1/2 hours away. The instructor & students there are wonderful. I get a boost from my time with them.

My questions are, 1) How often should I go train with the other school? 2) What do you suggest I do to keep my energy level up in the long period before my test?

I am the excitement in Tae Kwon Do for my students, but I need it for myself as well.

Thanks for your input.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since I've not yet tested in my organization, I don't know what to expect. The only thing I expect is a long, hard test. (I want nothing less, but the not knowing what to expect is always hard). The closest school in my organization is 3 1/2 hours away. The instructor & students there are wonderful. I get a boost from my time with them.

My questions are, 1) How often should I go train with the other school? 2) What do you suggest I do to keep my energy level up in the long period before my test?

First of all, congratulations that you are the excitement in TKD for your students. Hopefully your excitement will be contagious and your students will spread the art.

Since you are new to your organization, I suggest contacting the other school and asking what you can expect on the test. You should also PM any MTers who are also in your organization. :)

If you can get to the other school a couple of times per month and find out from (who I presume is a higher ranked instructor?) them what you need to work on, you can go home and work on the material on your own.

Where you may really need help is if you are to be doing self-defense/sparring/step-sparring and you only have yellow belt partners.

I don't look at it as being a long period between now and the test. I usually start 2nd gueps training separately in order to prep them for their 1st dan test even though it is a minimum of a year away. You have 5-6 months which is plenty of time if you organize things properly.

Good luck!

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK it would probaly be agreat ideal if you could make that trip a copuple of times a month and also it probaly would not hurt to check out some of the local TKD schools in your area for an adult BB that has some extra time that could train with you for your sparring and one step and SD. Callinf GM Sells and I'm sure he could give you a complete rundown about what needs to be covered.
Terry

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Terry, that once every other week would give you a good idea of what to expect, and to help keep you in decent condition. Also, you are going to have several experienced sets of eyes looking out for you.

During these next few months, start doing some conditioning work, though. Jogging, swimming, etc., can all help raise endurance, which is going to be very important at any yudanja exam.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appreciate all of the contributions to this topic. While I would love to be able to get the other school twice a month, my schedule will only allow about once a month. I'm interviewing for a new position at work. This will bring in a great deal more money, but little time for a lot of extra trips. I have a feeling that I'll be up at 5 am to train often in the next few months.

I will be talking GM Sell & PMing Last Fearner about specifics really soon. Since LF went thru the testing process in May for his confirmation of his rank, he knows the gory details.:ultracool

I'm heading up to see the other instructor in 2 weeks. He runs such a great program, it's always a pleasure to train with them.

Any other thoughts, please send them my way.
Thank you very much.:asian:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you can't work out with your instructor in person, perhaps you could find other ways to communicate with him and get feedback? Video, maybe? I know when I video-taped my students and gave them copies of their performance, things I had been telling them repeatedly suddenly jumped in to finer focus, and they understood what I had been trying to modify, and how to modify it. So maybe if you sent him a video of yourself performing various requirements, you could get some feedback that way.

Also, as you continue to train and teach in your new affiliation, invite other instructors in to see, and more, to test, your students. Any technical differences between their technique/technical details and your technique (and therefore what you teach) will quickly show up in your students - also, having another instructor test your students has advantages for them as well.

At my current rank, I test rarely (and only once have I tested in the minimum time frame for black belt rank... grad school homework really cuts into my practice time) so most of the feedback I get on my technique comes from working out with my instructor monthly (we teach on the same nights, 20 miles apart), and from what testing instructors say about my students' technique - while I am always present at my students' testings (I wouldn't dream of not being present) I do not test them myself except in very unusual circumstances, such as illness or injury on the part of the student sufficient to prevent testing - for example, I had a student a few years ago who managed to sprain her thigh playing soccer; she missed the regular testing because she couldn't walk, much less do anything else, and I held a make-up testing for her several weeks later when she recovered. When every student gets different feedback on their technique at testing, I know what each student needs to work on; when most of them get the same feedback, I know what I need to work on - because the only way that most of them could get the same feedback is if I'm not teaching it right... which generally means I'm not doing it right either.

It's hard, not being in a regular class with your instructor - but it can be done.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a lot of you know, I just started my Tae Kwon Do school in February. I haven't tested since 1988 (long story, for those who don't know). I'm planning to test in March.

Congrats!

I am the excitement in Tae Kwon Do for my students, but I need it for myself as well.

Thanks for your input.

Purely my opinion, but I would replace running with kicking.

Training is highly specific: unless you are going to be running during your test, kicking, IMO, is the better choice for cardio.

One of my favorite drills is "five level kicking"

ankle, knee, belt, solar plexus, head

I do 10 each (right leg, then left) front, side, round, hook, then move up to the next level.

Ankle and knee high warm you up for the higher level kicks.

= 400 kicks

Can double that to 800 by doing each kick, each level, 10 each, by doing front leg first, then rear leg.

Another training method I've used a lot in the past is "poomse marathon."

Do all forms from lowest to highest with only a second pause at ready stance between forms.

Something you can do in class, perhaps, is let the entire class take turns sparring you. They stay fresh, you get pushed hard since no breaks between matches.

Not sure if this is the sort of stuff you were looking for, but hope it helps.

Wishing you the best of luck on your test!

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, Congrats Iceman!! You were so positive and encouraging to me when I tested for 1st Dan this summer, I have nothing but good thoughts and well wishes to you.

I agree with a lot of advice already given. Try to get to the other school as much as possible. If it is once a month, then just be sure to give it 100% when you are there. Ask questions. What should I be prepared for? Etc. They expect you to be forthcoming and ask for help at your level, if you don't...well you will be in for a very very very long day I am guessing. Just talk to them and work hard in preparation. Keep us posted!!!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats!

Purely my opinion, but I would replace running with kicking.

Training is highly specific: unless you are going to be running during your test, kicking, IMO, is the better choice for cardio.

One of my favorite drills is "five level kicking"

ankle, knee, belt, solar plexus, head

I do 10 each (right leg, then left) front, side, round, hook, then move up to the next level.

Ankle and knee high warm you up for the higher level kicks.

= 400 kicks

Can double that to 800 by doing each kick, each level, 10 each, by doing front leg first, then rear leg.

Another training method I've used a lot in the past is "poomse marathon."

Do all forms from lowest to highest with only a second pause at ready stance between forms.

Something you can do in class, perhaps, is let the entire class take turns sparring you. They stay fresh, you get pushed hard since no breaks between matches.

Not sure if this is the sort of stuff you were looking for, but hope it helps.

Wishing you the best of luck on your test!

This is a big help to me. I like the Poomsae marathon & the sparring marathon, also. I'm a runner, so I run. I don't de-value the 400 kick drill at all. I'll probably add that on my non-running days. If I'm not mistaken, didn't you say you tested for 2nd Dan under GM's Ed & Brenda Sell? That's my lot in March. I'm looking forward to it, but I know it will be no easy task.

Thanks for your input, Scott. You gave me some great ideas.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a big help to me. I like the Poomsae marathon & the sparring marathon, also. I'm a runner, so I run. I don't de-value the 400 kick drill at all. I'll probably add that on my non-running days. If I'm not mistaken, didn't you say you tested for 2nd Dan under GM's Ed & Brenda Sell?

Correct

That's my lot in March. I'm looking forward to it, but I know it will be no easy task.

Thanks for your input, Scott. You gave me some great ideas.

My pleasure.

Also, not sure that they still do it, but the very last thing the Sells asked us to do during the test was run in place (I think switching between knees pulled high to heels to glutes). Don't remember how long it was -- several minutes, I think.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Way to go, Iceman! It won't be easy, but I'm 100% certain you'll do great!:partyon: :partyon:

Latest Discussions