Practical Hapkido

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who's getting bent out of shape?
As to your question, all three of those are modern arts, obviously. They're not much older than I am.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were getting bent out of shape, you simply pointed out a fact that I agree with. But some have put forth some strong opinions. I've noticed you and I never do that. ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you're saying only REALLY old stuff can be traditional. :D

Not really. What I'm saying is that it's sort of silly to say one branch of an art is "traditional" and the other is "modern" when their age difference (not quite an accurate term, but you know what I mean) is like 5 minutes, and the founding of both is within living memory.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were getting bent out of shape, you simply pointed out a fact that I agree with. But some have put forth some strong opinions. I've noticed you and I never do that. ;)

Nope. Never. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. What I'm saying is that it's sort of silly to say one branch of an art is "traditional" and the other is "modern" when their age difference (not quite an accurate term, but you know what I mean) is like 5 minutes, and the founding of both is within living memory.

Nope. Never. :)
I was just pokin' at ya, DD. I get your point. Of course, it seemed more solid when I was 20 than it does today. Somewhere along the way, we get old enough that we're part of tradition.

OP
Pentti

Pentti

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, this is my truth. It's not for everyone yet, but later it's the truth for you all :)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, this is my truth. It's not for everyone yet, but later it's the truth for you all :)

That is a very profound statement , Hang on to that as if you ever get to the pinnacles of Hapkido that would be a very good quote to use

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dunno about you but I can well see the influence of Daito ryu in what they are doing ie. the atemi and the directness and the finishing

I studied Hapkido, not Daito Ryu, so I cannot see its influence. That's not meant to be snippy, it is just that know little about the Daito Ryu. But I don't doubt your observation.

OP
Pentti

Pentti

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The water is soft and adaptable. It connects dams and streams along the road provided to it. The water adapts
but its unique character never disappears. From here
it would be worthwhile for all mankind to learn.

OP
Pentti

Pentti

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Traditional and modern battle together.
New video compilation.