Potential Student's First Class

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is something I actually don't do. I don't see anything wrong with it, it's just not my approach. I want them to see what we do, and be able to decide if it's a fit for them. I'm hoping that if it's not a fit, they'll figure that out (or at least get some inkling) from that first class.

I don't think those are necessarily mutually exclusive. If you know your potential student's goals, you can show them what you do, and also explain to them how it relates to their goals. At least theoretically - this is something I'm still working on myself.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think those are necessarily mutually exclusive. If you know your potential student's goals, you can show them what you do, and also explain to them how it relates to their goals. At least theoretically - this is something I'm still working on myself.
Agreed. I was reading the post as adjusting content the first day to better fit their needs. I'll only do that with a short-term student (as I did for a high school wrestler who was looking for some new methods of control). With a long-term student, I won't be able to adjust for them in the long run.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Find out what the new student's expectations are and tailor that intro lesson to hit one or more of those expectations.
I don't teach for money. I teach so I can get training partners. If students just want to learn MA for health, I won't teach them.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't teach for money. I teach so I can get training partners. If students just want to learn MA for health, I won't teach them.
I'd teach them (they might learn something useful, and it helps fund equipment for the other students). I just don't think they'd stay long, because they'd still have to learn the regular curriculum, and that's boring. Bosu is more fun.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Agreed. I was reading the post as adjusting content the first day to better fit their needs. I'll only do that with a short-term student (as I did for a high school wrestler who was looking for some new methods of control). With a long-term student, I won't be able to adjust for them in the long run.
To elaborate - I have a pretty much fixed intro lesson that I do with everyone. However, when they filled out the new student form, there is a list of attributes (health, self-defense, confidence, etc.) on it and I ask them to give me a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice of what they want to get from martial arts. Knowing that, I can make sure that the presentation of the intro hits a minimum of one of those desired attributes.

Latest Discussions