Potential Student's First Class

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
What should this be? How do you approach this without potentially turning him/her off?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well what was your first class like. Just do basics nothing to hard do some exercises get them to work hard and get a sweat on lots of people will like the idea they're getting fit

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well what was your first class like. Just do basics nothing to hard do some exercises get them to work hard and get a sweat on lots of people will like the idea they're getting fit

I have had three first class experiences. I can't really remember the TKD experience. I think I just did really basic things like stances and maybe a jab reverse punch. For BJJ I basically just did whatever the class was doing but I was paired up with a higher rank. For Shotokan Karate I just sat and watched.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have had three first class experiences. I can't really remember the TKD experience. I think I just did really basic things like stances and maybe a jab reverse punch. For BJJ I basically just did whatever the class was doing but I was paired up with a higher rank. For Shotokan Karate I just sat and watched.
Teaching comes with experience that's why It's sucks the position your in. If you'd been an assistant instructor who observed how the head instructor did it and helped out you'd have more knowledge on what to do on your own best thing though be completely honest tell them you've only been training 2 years and haven't had a huge amount of experience if you lie you'll look incompetent but if your honest they may be more patient since they know you're just not experienced

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What should this be? How do you approach this without potentially turning him/her off?
In the 1st day, I want my new students to learn 4 things:

How to deal with:

- boxer's jab and cross.
- MT guy's round house kick.
- TKD guy's side kick.
- Wrestler's single leg.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Make sure they feel comfortable.
Teach them something they did not know.

The rest usually falls into place.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many possibilities.

When I trained self defence, the training was exactly the same, just lower expectations and, eventually, more attention. And with a graded student, so s/he was in position to guide/help the new student.

In some clubs, there are classes splitted by level.

In other clubs, such as Aikido and Judo, I have read that they train the basics (falls...) for hours...

Personally, I like to teach something according to the student level or interest. It is great to see and improvement, small but clear, each class (including the first). 'Measurable' results, even tiny ones, are great for motivation.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With only 2 years experience, are you being thrown to the wolves? Where are your instructors? Where are the more advancd/experienced students? If I'm a first time, paying student, I want to KNOW that I'm in good hands.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

White belts are cannon fodder for the more experienced. If you can't deal with getting your *** kicked, then BJJ isn't for you. Check your ego at the door and stay humble.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Teaching after 2 years training may by itself turn off some potential students. But I am quite sure the OP doesn't want to stop teaching and just train himself next 10 years, before teaching again. I think he would like to know what can he do now as instructor.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My approach is similar to what all of my instructors did, as far as I can remember. There's some logistics to be covered, they should learn something they feel good about, and they should start learning some important fundamentals. So, here's what a first class is like with me (some detail removed to make it more generic):
  • Cover the rules, both etiquette and safety. This ensures safety and limits those awkward moments where they have no idea what to do next (I tell them if that happens to ask the senior student or me).
  • Cover the basic philosophy of the art/training. I make sure they understand we're always working toward self-defense, and they'll start with very basic material.
  • Get them warmed up (they don't warm up with the class, because they don't know the exercises). Someone (preferably another student, but usually me) takes them through the basic exercises. Just learning them is warm-up enough for the first session, and then they'll be ready to participate next class.
  • Teach them something that's easy to do right. I teach basic wrist grip control, including wrist grip escapes. These are handy, since they are easy to learn and are actually movements they'll use in some of their techniques. They feel good about being able to do them, so they are more likely to come back. If they keep coming back, I have a chance to get them some significant skills to defend themselves (and some that improve their life).
  • Get them started on some fundamentals. I'll teach them a basic block (plow block) and two strikes (an easy elbow, and an easy knee, both usable from the plow block). They can use this in a basic defense.
  • If there's time, I'll start on the Basic Self-defense Set (simple, first-step responses to various attacks).
During this, I like to get them to work with at least one other student - two, if there are two available who are experienced enough to be good partners for a beginner.

Within this, there's some basic movement and structure, so I can see what I'll need to work on. To me, that is a big goal in that first class.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the 1st day, I want my new students to learn 4 things:

How to deal with:

- boxer's jab and cross.
- MT guy's round house kick.
- TKD guy's side kick.
- Wrestler's single leg.
First day?? That's a lot to throw at someone with no experience. It'd be nice if they had an inkling of just one of those.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
@gpseymour
Why the disagree? I was being a little facetious as, personally, I'll get a gauge on how many classes a person has been to but that is 90% of the appeal of BJJ. Seriously, you take a 200 lbs guy like myself off the streets, pair him up with a 110 lbs female purple belt, and let her completely smash him. That's the shock value of wow, this stuff really works. A huge part of the growth and learning in BJJ is rolling and you're going to suck at it at first. Hard. You've got to leave the ego at the door and stay humble.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want the student to;
1. Have fun so I find out why they are there and what do they like to do.
2. Know they are important and will be an important part of the class.
3. Know that when they work hard there is some type of reward. (Acknowledgement with praise.)
4. Know they can, in time, do whatever it is we are doing and do it well. (it is about building them up)
5. Know we are happy to have them and that together we will all grow. (teamwork)

Now the how you go about doing this will depend upon the potential student's age, maturity, and goals.
It really doesn't matter what you teach them, it does matter how you relate to them and impart to them that they are important and that you are glad they are there.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First day?? That's a lot to throw at someone with no experience. It'd be nice if they had an inkling of just one of those.
They may not be able to learn everything during their first day, but at least they will know that

- MA training is to solve problems.
- Most problems come from outside of their MA system.

They will learn:

- body unification (all body parts move and stop at the same time), and
- footwork (move out of the way),

during day one.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally would teach the class you normally would, but tone it down to accommodate someone who has never done the movements before. What I will suggest is to maybe consider doing a slightly longer warm-up and stretch as this will help the new student get used to using their muscles without injuring themselves (remember they might not have done much exercise before). There's nothing that will turn a potential student off more than waking up the next morning feeling like crap because their body couldn't handle the workout you gave them. Also, depending on the size of the class, consider assigning a senior student to watch over them and make sure they are doing the movements correctly. It's sometimes very hard to keep an eye on all the students at once, so having that extra pair of eyes on the new guy will help keep them safe and allow them to keep up with the rest of the class. Again, one of the big turn-offs for new students is feeling like they can't keep up with the rest of the class.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@gpseymour
Why the disagree? I was being a little facetious as, personally, I'll get a gauge on how many classes a person has been to but that is 90% of the appeal of BJJ. Seriously, you take a 200 lbs guy like myself off the streets, pair him up with a 110 lbs female purple belt, and let her completely smash him. That's the shock value of wow, this stuff really works. A huge part of the growth and learning in BJJ is rolling and you're going to suck at it at first. Hard. You've got to leave the ego at the door and stay humble.
I'm okay with the idea of letting the 100 lb. person (of either gender) munch on the big guy to let him experience the power of technique. I'm just not okay with the concept of white belts as cannon fodder. I've actually talked to folks whose schools seemed to think that was a good idea, giving the newest students what-for to teach them some humility. IMO, they likely already have some humility, because they came in for classes. Not all students are 200 lb. guys who need a quick demonstration in the power of technique.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They may not be able to learn everything during their first day, but at least they will know that

- MA training is to solve problems.
- Most problems come from outside of their MA system.

They will learn:

- body unification (all body parts move and stop at the same time), and
- footwork (move out of the way),

during day one.
That's more realistic than your previous post. I could see demonstrating all of those things to them, but they aren't going to learn more than a fraction of one.